close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Any other pagans here?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by frank4570, Jun 30, 2011.

1. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    I'm just curious. I would guess that the group of people who actually read RI on glocktalk are either serious christians or serious athiests. I would expect other people to not bother in this forum so much.

2. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom

Jul 6, 2005
    Pa

Well, I am a Jew and I tend to "bother" now and again ;) even though I am one of those "other people. :cool:

3. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
  4. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom

Jul 6, 2005
    Pa

LOL how about Mongols?

5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    Heck yeah, the Fly fishing gods are smiling upon me....and the beer and margarita gods are coming to town tomorrow. Pagans get a god for everything. Woooooooo

6. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    I knew somebody wouldn't be able to pass that up. :rollsmiley:

7. I'm aware of a handful of Jews (most are infrequent posters), several agnostics, a pantheist and a Hindu revert.

-ArtificialGrape

8. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom

Jul 6, 2005
    Pa
    So Frank,
    educate me on what some of the core beliefs in Paganism are.

9. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    I'm not the person to educate you. It isn't that I claim the label pagan so much as that is the category where I fit.
    A reverence for the earth and the environment is a mark of my beliefs.
    I will be collecting wild bees and relocating them today to improve my own environment, and the well fare of the animals and plants, I might call that prayer.
    I actually go to a christian church church with my wife. They are REALLY nice people, that is good enough for me. I just don't participate in their actual ceremonies. But I do stuff like help prepare food at funerals.

10. ". . . a christian church church . . ."

Which church is that? I realize that was, in part, a typo. But I reiterate-which church is the "Christian Church"? Catholic? Methodist? Luthern? Anglican? Episcopalian? Fundamentalist? To which one of the umpteen different types of "Christian" churches are you refering? You know if Christians really were united we'd be a much more powerful force in the world than we are now. Unfortunately Christians would rather dicker about petty differences in their respective doctrines. If you don't believe that, you have only to take up reading threads here in GT-RI. I have the great honour to remain,
    Your Most Humble Obedient Servant,

KJM1016

11. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    Oh, right, of course. Nazarene. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.

I know a guy who is pastor of a church which is dying, because they are so strict in their belief about the order in which you are saved then baptized, or something like that.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  12. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

I believe most athiests are Pagans. They worship other things instead of G-d.

Sometimes they just worship themselves.

The majority of the liberal elite in this country are Pagans.

13. I won't argue that in the case of atheist totalitarians (e.g. Stalin) they try to assume the role of God, requiring unquestioning obedience, etc., but I find this to be a highly inaccurate characterization of Joe Atheist who just happens to reject the supernatural based on a lack of evidence.

-ArtificialGrape

14. Snapper2

Snapper2

Feb 22, 2008
    s.east Texas
    What kind of evidence would Joe Atheist want AG? Wouldnt "prehistoric" man:whistling: worship their descendants of today with all the modern technology? And how would the natural be able to understand the SUPERnatural anyway if it is indeed superior? As far as totalitarians go, we are gods in that we were created in God's Image and given the right to rule over many things on earth. It seems that many pervert this privledge though(believers and nonbelievers).

15. AlexHassin

AlexHassin

Dec 15, 2010
    Taiwan
    that makes more sense then most religions i have heard

16. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    USA
    How very scientific sounding. So all people who reject God do so because of lack of evidence?

Organic material stemming from an inorganic world must also be supernatural since it is also based on a lack of evidence.

17. I'm using the term "supernatural" as something outside the laws of nature -- rising from the dead; parting the Red Sea; the sun standing still over Gibeon. Bill & Ted transporting Socrates and Napoleon to modern day San Dimas is not exposing them to the supernatural merely because they do not understand modern technology. People may find David Blaine to be supernatural (or even suspect some pact with Satan), but that does not make it so.

How did you leap from my use of "Joe Atheist who just happens to reject the supernatural based on a lack of evidence" to mean "all people who reject God"?

I'm clearly referring to the subset who "reject the supernatural based on a lack of evidence"

Prior to the understanding of Newtonian gravity, was the movement of celestial bodies in our solar system supernatural?

Tell me that you're not making an argument from ignorance here -- lack of evidence of a natural process is evidence of a supernatural process?

-ArtificialGrape

18. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    I find the irony stifling that the believers can make so many attempts to discredit science and evloution while staunchly standing behind one book of fairy tales as absolute truth. "BECAUSE HE SAID SO" Yeah....right.

19. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    I'm feeling kind of left out. I guess nobody has a problem with pagans. It's like being the ugly guy at the prom. :frown: