close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Any officers here ever take action off duty?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KiloBravo, May 18, 2011.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

I was just curious if any officers here have ever had to act off duty to save something bad from going down. It could be anything from calling the guys who were on the clock to making an arrest yourself.

Just curious. I like hearing the stories. :wavey:

2. packsaddle

packsaddle

Jan 15, 2009
    along with some assorted misdemeanors, called in a few DWIs and backed up the responding officers.

other than that, going to have to be felony for me to take action in another jurisdiction.

3. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

My agency currently directs that I act as a citizen when off duty, going according to the laws of the state of residence, or of the state that I am visiting, (regardless of US law concerning the matter). That being said, I have helped out a time or two as a responsible citizen, and have always helped out in that category.

One time I helped thwart a shop lifting in progress at a grocery store. The person was a young teenager who got some cigarettes and stashed them away. And, while doing so was caught in the act. The manager on duty was trying to without physically placing hands on the the teenager block her exit while the cops were being called for assistance. When I came in from another entrance I saw what happened and acted to assist the manager, using use of force techniques as taught to me within the current agency I am employed by. I had the store manager help at my direction, so of course had to be darn careful. The person was not harmed.

The first person showing up was a Kansas Highway Patrol officer, who responded; then Leavenworth PD showed up a few minutes after. All ended well. No charges were pressed, but she was restricted from coming into the store by the store manager, with the cops as witnesses to the stated restriction. That was a decade ago plus a few years.

4. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    I have had to call 911 for a few things. IIRC it was just fights involving drunks. Nothing has required me to whip out the badge or the gun.

One of our guys got dinged when he ran out into the street with his gun in his PJs because he thought his neighbor was getting robbed. It just turned out the neighbor was just getting harrassed. The brass called it "intervening in a neighborhood dispute."

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. Malstorme

Malstorme Bad Influence

Oct 2, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I made a late night run to the grocery store one night and as I approached, I saw some cars on a perimeter with the ghetto bird circling the area. I stopped to see if they needed anything. I don't remember the exact situation, but an officer had gotten into a vehicle pursuit, the bad guy crashed and fled on foot. Suspect was last seen 45 minutes or more earlier and was supposedly armed. There were plenty of on duty guys there and things were pretty much stable. I wished 'em luck and headed back towards the store, about a block and a half away from the perimeter.

I parked, walked inside and passed the registers. Two guys walked out from an aisle into the bigger central area and the one slightly behind the other had a rifle held at port arms. I drew my weapon, pointed it at him and announced, "POLICE, DON'T MOVE!" Without hesitation, he dropped like a rock and lay flat on his face. The guy with him did the same.

To make a long story short, it wound up being 2 store employees with a pellet gun. They were using it to dispatch birds that had gotten trapped in the store. Fortunately for he and I both, he was smarter than the average cookie monster and didn't try explaining the situation with that rifle in his hands.

The store employees had been watching the "action" down the street for a while so everything got sorted out pretty quickly, no harm no foul. I found out later that the store changed their procedures and always carry their pellet guns covered with a paper sack now. I think I saw the guy a few weeks ago, working at a local bank.

For a moment I thought I had a "real" bad guy, but all I wound up with was this lousy story... :outtahere:

Mals

6. Yes. The pucker factor was high. That is all.

7. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    Yes a couple of robberies in progress while off duty. The last one was a take over restaurant robbery by two armed gang members. I shot one, the other ran. Both caught. Both in prison for 20+ armed robberies with shots fired in several of them.

8. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    yeah lots of times there were these hot chicks and after I got off duty.....wait.........what kind of action are you talking about?????

:cool:

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  9. glockurai

glockurai

Sep 2, 2010
    Florida
    Once, a domestic dispute that was about to get physical. Quick flash of the badge and everyone was on their way.

10. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

Yes. I had to point a gun at a guy trespassing in my yard who did not respond to my commands fast enough for my comfort (long story, but I felt that the safety of my family was in jeopardy). Turned out OK.

11. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    It's like my dreams are your reality.

I gotta get a job in LA.

12. Took action in a couple of burglaries and a few DUIs over the years. Just a call in and watch with all except one burglary where I took him down to prevent him getting away.

13. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    You know....all that macho chest thumping stuff that people think "Well, here is how I would save the day..." (like a lot of the OC crowd) goes out the window once you realize how important that uniform is. (most people never get that chance to realize and understand how that is true and why it is true)

I have not taken any off duty action yet. Outside of a Felony, where the law requires me to take action...and action can, and is often wisest, include being a good witness.

When I workshop it in my head I think of the axiom "Dont make it any worse" and in civies, I am(perception) just a guy with a gun, that can make a lot of situation worse.

I dont feel the need to right every wrong and bring justice for every slight. I would act if people are in danger or in need of help and of course, I would do just about anything a fellow LEO needed me to do, including getting the hell out of the way.

14. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Yep.

My shooting was off duty, in street clothes, and in another jurisdiction.

Off duty UOF engagements and UC/off duty officer survival were not addressed prior to that by my agency or by the State certification authority. It is finally getting the attention it deserves.

I didn't look for trouble, it found me.

15. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I'm not going to be able to keep up with some of the folks on here.

Three times that come to mind. Two were drunk drivers - one was at a restaurant I was eating at and was about to leave. She elected to call a ride rather than have me call her in. The other was on the interstate and was literally the worst driving I have ever seen, bar none. Local SO arrive, tested, and arrested. My involvement was minimal. Third was a guy with a felony warrant that I saw out and about and called an on-duty officer directly to stop. No gun fights for me.

16. Only a really bad 2 car accident where one was making a U-turn when it got T-boned. The driver of the U-turning car was killed by the impact. There was also a months old baby and mother in the car. Directed two people to call 9-1-1 and told them what to say to 9-1-1, including need for Jaws of Life. Really not much to do medically for baby and mother except wait for the ambulances and the fire trucks to get there.

17. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Wow some very interesting and I am sure heart racing stories indeed! God bless you all for what you do. It is my dream to someday be amongst the same ranks as all of you.

18. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    Mostly it's consisted of me being in a public place and seeing a drunk driver or some ****** with a warrant (lots and lots of warrants - I have somewhat of a photographic memory and I read the warrants list daily). Called the local PD and let them take care of it.

19. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    That's funny, I had the same incident and the people looked at me dumbfounded, like they thought my badge was fake or something. Not the response I expected! They eventually left, but in hindsight I think it would have been better to call the local on-duty agency so the lamenting lovers could have been properly documented and reported as a domestic.

^^ Truth