close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Any need for another Kydex Knife Sheath Maker ?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Rob62, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Rob62

Rob62 XL Member

Feb 25, 2000
    Georgia, USA
    I am posting this in hopes of finding out whether there is a want or need for this service.

Recently I started a hobby of making Kydex knife sheaths. After a few dozen good ones under my belt I am now thinking of making some for pay. I don’t use any homemade sheath “tools”. All the tools I use are actual commercial grade, like the Sheath press, and arbor press with dies for setting the eyelets.

Primarily I work in .08” thick Kydex but also use .06” material as well. Pretty much anything is possible with Kydex. As long as the form (knife) can be subjected to heat, a sheath of Kydex can be formed around it. I’ve attached pictures of some of the work I have already done. My primary focus right now is conventional belt and neck sheaths. All my work would be 100% guaranteed – if the customer isn’t satisfied I’d refund all money except shipping costs, no questions asked.

I think a working price list would be along the lines of a custom Neck Sheath costing $10, and a belt sheath for a simple 4-8” fixed blade right at around $25. Smaller, 1-4" fixed blade sheaths could be done for about $20. Shipping costs would vary based on the size & weight of the knife being returned with folders about $5 and fixed blade knifes at $7. If someone wanted a specific color besides the standard Black for their sheath that would incur an additional charge of about $2-3 per sheath – camouflage patterns would add about $3-5. Included in these sheath prices is a standard fixed belt loop – if for a belt knife. Using Fastex / TekLok adjustable belt buckles is relatively expensive and would add about $10-$12 to the cost of any sheath. MOLLE compatible buckles would likewise add about $8 or so to the sheath cost. I think that even working the full time job that I do, turnaround time should be about a week, with 10 days being the far outside time.

Below are pics of some of the work I have already done. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

Spyderco 93mm Rescue, neck knife sheath in .06” thick Concealex (Basically the same as standard Kydex)

[​IMG]

A few different neck sheaths. All but one are for Spyderco folders.

[​IMG]

My very first sheaths. The belt sheath has a small TekLok buckle.

[​IMG]

This is the standard style belt buckle/loop that would be included on a basic belt sheath. These I make to order for whatever belt width is normally worn. They can be set to allow vertical or horizontal knife carry options.

[​IMG]

A Cold Steel Recon Tanto in a belt sheath with a large TekLok belt buckle. While the buckle looks big in relation to the sheath, the person I made this sheath for wanted to be able to easily adjust the angles at which he wears this knife. Using a TekLok buckle is a good way to accomplish this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rob62

Rob62 XL Member

Feb 25, 2000
    Georgia, USA
    More pics

A nice Damascus fixed blade fighter in an IWB (Inside the Waistband) sheath.

[​IMG]

US Military Survival Mirror protectant case. Just something I played around with. My mirror needed a case and I thought why not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010

3. Looks good. Try a table at a gun show and your question will find its answer.

4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    Look like nice work. Will you be requiring the customers knife to generate the sheaths?

5. Rob62

Rob62 XL Member

Feb 25, 2000
    Georgia, USA
    syntaxerrorsix - basically yes. In order to get a true "custom" fit the specific knife that the sheath is intended for must be used.

There are some exceptions. Factory made knifes are of very uniform manufacturing tolerances. For example, I have both the Spyderco large (93mm) and small (79mm) Rescue folding knifes on hand. I could use these as patterns for someone’s Spyderco Rescue's. So in this case I would not need their knife to be sent to me. I have other factory folders and fixed blades on hand that I can use. But with so many variants out there I most likely will not have the exact knife on hand. If by chance I do have the exact knife on hand, return shipping costs would be significantly less, because then all I would have to mail out is the sheath.

Rob

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  6. losvar

losvar

Dec 26, 2014
    I was wondering if you are still making Kydex knife sheaths with belt clip. I have a few knives and would be interested in getting some made? Please let me know.

Losvar

7. Rob62

Rob62 XL Member

Feb 25, 2000
    Georgia, USA
    Happy Holidays losvar,

Since I started this thread I have been a product of my own success. Now multi hundreds of knife sheaths or accessory cases later I still continue to make them. However I have not made the big leap into quitting my full time "real" job and doing this as my primary job.

I love my current job, and see this still as a sideline only. Something to do full time once I retire (again), get fired, laid off, or someone gets me mad enough to quit. I have not been actively pursuing new customers. Its all been word of mouth so far that has gotten me to where I am. I actually like the small nature of doing this work. It allows me to get it right on a one on one level.

My lead or wait time is 7-8 weeks right now from when I get your knives in hand. The wait time has gone up to 10 weeks. But at that point I stopped taking on more jobs. Most folks are not willing to wait that long to get a sheath made - which is perfectly understandable. But I am only one man deep, I personally make every sheath or accessory case and make these as my schedule allows.

If you are still interested PM me with what you have and what you want, and I will respond as soon as I can.

Regards,

Rob