close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any members of Shooters Express?

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by viffer1, Jan 30, 2007.

1. viffer1

viffer1 Tactless Member

I am approaching the end of my membership at Shooters Express and took a look at my renewal options last time I was in there. For $250 they offer a "premium" membership that give you a discount on firearms purchased from them. They say they charge you Cost + 10%. Does anyone else have this? I was wondering if this was a good deal as I will probably buy 1-2 guns this year. Would this be better than gunshow prices?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

I've wondered myself if their membership is worth it. They're definitely priced on the high end of the scale, I guess to encourage membership or something.

3. 13bullets

13bullets Thunder Stealer

I definately do NOT believe their cost + 10% would beat gunshow prices. I am a member there but did not buy the premium membership. Still, I have bought two glocks there, one on sale for 499, the other I had price matched from The Carolina Hunter ( who I DO NOT recommend) for 509.

4. 13bullets

However the membership will still pay for itself just from range fees if you go once or twice a month.

5. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I don't mean to sound so negative, but its just a gimmick. I think their range prices have gone rediculous - used to not be that bad when I was a member in 2004. They also had more options then that made more sense (like 60- and 90-days, IIRC). At $15 an hour and one visit per month ($180), heck no $250 isn't worth it. Who cares if you get free gun rentals? I don't want to shoot their guns, I want to shoot mine. :)

For buying guns, if you act like you know what you're talking about and deal with Terry or Bill (not that idiot moron they hired last year) they'll treat you decently and you'll pay closer to average retail instead of their considerable markup. Dean (in my experience) will either knock $50 or less off, or have a "take it or leave it price" attitude. $499 for Glocks is pretty good; $90 for added night sights, not so much...but stickering Sigs and HKs at $1k is terrible.

As far as cost plus +10%, they're getting their money either way and I'm guessing you'd have to buy alot more than two guns a year (and visit the range constantly) to make it worth your while.

:soap:

6. jlpayne86

jlpayne86

How about joing an outdoor range like mecklenburg wildlife for 250.00 dollars a year, way more times when can be used plus you get indoor/outdoor archery range and 200 yd rifle range. Cant beat it out there!
    Plus my experience with shooters and im curious to hear others is that they are kinda shady...or at least what ever they think to make a sale!! I am not impressed with them at all.
    Jason

7. 13bullets

Anthony, I believe is the one they hired last year. Younger dude with black hair, and he is definately not the most personable salesman ever. I try to deal will Bill or Dean.

Has anyone gone to Gastonia gun and police supply on franklin? That guy has a seroius hard-on concerning non-cops in his store. He obvoiusly didn't want to be bothered by the average joe customer.

Where is Meck. Wildlife?

8. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Not only is he not personable, but he's not knowledgeable and he'll argue about things he is clearly wrong about - like saying that 1911s are not and have never been manufactured in any caliber other than .45, then tossing a double-telephone-book-sized catalong on the counter and saying "SHOW ME". Whatever, jackass. In all fairness he seems to have softened up a little, but it also seems like more of an act. Bill and Terry just seem like good ol' boys doing a job.

I have been in the Gastonia place a couple times since they opened, most recently last week. The guy wasn't unfriendly, but I'll admit that his demeanor changed when he found out I'm a cop. He even followed me into the other side of the store, I felt like he thought I was going to pocket some ammo or something.

They don't have that much selection. There was a second generation G23C and a like new Glock 22 that were nice and the price was decent, nothing else caught my eye. Looked like some nice ARs but I didn't check make or pricing. I'll probably pick up some carry ammo there.

9. jlpayne86

jlpayne86

MEcklenburg wildlife is off of sam wilson rd, Right off of the 85. check it out its a great place.
    jason

10. 13bullets

I believe I will, that's not far from the house either. It'll sure be nice to have a rifle range longer than Shooters indoor 25 yards.
    Do you HAVE to fork out 250 for a year? Do they have a 30, 60, or 90 day membership?

11. jlpayne86

jlpayne86

NO its 250.00 fpor the year only way to pay is yearly.

12. edrobert

edrobert

Yeah, I wanna look into that myself. Be sure to give me a buzz next time you head out there jlpayne.

13. RoyRNC

RoyRNC

Does anyone know the if they have any cometitions, etc.. at Mecklenburg Wildlife? Or perhaps a contact phone number? I could not find anything on th web.

14. viffer1

viffer1 Tactless Member

I shot a NRA service rifle match at Meck. Wildlife a few years ago. I took the advice to swing by there and check them out last weekend and it was dead. Not a soul to be found and the gate was closed and locked. Does anyone know what is going on? Do they have certain hours or days that they are open? I was there mid-day on Saturday.

15. USMC Ryfleman

USMC Ryfleman Scary Guy

+1 on Bill and Terry! Super guys. I personally think Dean may have a little sugar in his tank if u know what I mean. I mainly do business with Firepower, super knowledgeble, and great prices.

16. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Ha. No way, are you serious? Isn't he married to the woman who runs the range?

17. USMC Ryfleman

USMC Ryfleman Scary Guy

Listen to the way he talks and walks. Remember, Elton John was married at one time......to a WOMAN!

18. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Ha, you're killing me. I can't listen to how he talks because I can't get past the fact that he's usually telling me how he wants $990 (plus tax) for a Sig!

19. USMC Ryfleman

USMC Ryfleman Scary Guy

Yeah, rediculous prices on most things, hell, I like it how they say they are competetive on prices, BS! I have quoted firepowers prices and they just laugh it off. I go to Hyatts and quote Firepowers prices and they sell it to me for 5 - 10 dollars less.

20. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Shooters' Glock prices are ok, that's about it...though Terry has hooked me up a couple times on other stuff.

I used to be hard on Hyatt's, but they're not all that bad. You just have to let them know you're not an idiot. I just don't like it when places jack up firearms prices so obviously high and people new to guns think they're getting a real deal by paying $700 for a Glock.

I've got some tax money burning a hole in my pocket. Are you telling my I need to go visit Firepower?