Any Maine Hunters...

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sharker, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Any Maine Hunters know whether or not the regular big game tags allow bear hunting as well this year. They used to look different but I just got my deer transportation tag (and recieved two that say deer and bear transportation tag.) Last few years there was a tag specifically for bear, this year they sent me a license invoice that has deer checked off, but doesnt have bear checked. I am wondering if this transportation tag is all i need or if I need a bear tag as well. Cant get through to there office.
    Thanks.

2. here's a little from the Maine Dept. of Fish & Wildlife:

OTHER BEAR HUNTING PROVISIONS

Bear Hunting Permit: Outside of the firearms season on deer, a special bear hunting permit (in addition to a hunting license) is required to hunt for bear. During the firearms season on deer, a person may legally take a bear by virtue of a regular hunting license. The fee for a bear hunting permit is $5.00* for residents and $15.00* for non-residents and aliens. The special permit is not required whentrapping for bear. (*Plus agent fee.)

Click on the link below and scroll down to "bear":

http://www.state.me.us/ifw/hunttrap/huntlaws2002.htm

If you are still unsure, you can email or call them at their contact numbers.

Swede

3. Thanks for the info. I was scratching my head when my tags came in.