close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any info on DSA and YHM uppers?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by DieselNut, Jan 15, 2011.

1. DieselNut

DieselNut
    Expand Collapse

I pretty much know that most AR manufacturers (colt, bushmaster, double star,etc) are kinda on a some what level playing field. Where does DSA and YHM fall? I've seen DSA FAL rifles and they seem like they're pretty good. And they also seem very affordable which has me cautious.

On the other hand YHM looks to have a fine upper I'm drooling over but they're $600 or more. What is their quality like? LMT or Noveske, stag or bushmaster, or Hesse and vulcan(being total junk)?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 DieselNut, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  2. jrs93accord

jrs93accord
    Expand Collapse

I have three ARs right now with DSA ZM4 uppers. For the money, they were an excellent buy. Fitment and finish are excellent and the accuracy is par with any of my other M4 type uppers. I recommend them. I have not had any experience with YHM uppers. They have only been on the market for a couple years now.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

BM and Double Star are not even close to being on the same playing field as Colt, LMT, BCM, Daniel Defence or Noveske. If youre going to spend $600 on an upper look at a BCM.

4. jrs93accord

jrs93accord
    Expand Collapse

For the $600, the YHM uppers usually include a YHM BUIS and quad-rail handguards. Some include a fliop-up front sight gas block.

5. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

DSA Ar-15 rifles are essentially a rebranded LMT. I do not know much about YHM except that their rails and suppressors are mediocre (not terrible but not great).

6. DieselNut

DieselNut
    Expand Collapse

The only thing about double star that bugs me is their finish is more shiny than others on their receivers. Other than that I'd take one just as much as I'd take a Colt. I've had one of each. With Colt you're paying for the name.

7. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

:faint:

8. DieselNut

DieselNut
    Expand Collapse

Haha it's true. I had one that would eat nasty old wolf and group really well with it.

9. jrs93accord

jrs93accord
    Expand Collapse

Question, are you referring to DSA as Doublestar Arms or DS Arms? I think there is some confusion. DSA is usually referred to when speaking about DS Arms.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

You've been drinking the diesel instead of putting it in your vehicle. I dont think its as much the name as the quality that goes w/ the name. Joe Dirts Firebird is as well built as a Ferrari, right?

11. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I was going to try and point that out in my earlier post, but decided not to (typing on an iphone can be a pain). I believe the OP means DS Arms, as he says he is familiar with double star. Though the fact that he compares it favorably to a Colt certainly makes me question exactly how familiar he is with them.

Back on topic though, DSA is not a familiar name to most people in the AR world, so for clarification DSA is DS Arms and Double Star is Double Star.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

Thinking like the OPs is why some companies still make crap.

13. Eurodriver

Eurodriver
    Expand Collapse

Yeah me too. I have 3 BCMs and it bothers me that the fit and finish on their uppers isn't as nice as it is on my Bushmaster. I'm thinking about selling my BCMs because I bought into the "dependability" hype... Milspec means lowest bigger right? :rofl::rofl:

:whistling:

14. highprimer

highprimer
    Expand Collapse

I've been shooting a DS Arms middy upper for the last year and have had zero failures or problems of any kind.

I have only fired it 50-100 yard distances, the accuracy in those ranges with the ammo types I keep on hand is acceptable.

15. DieselNut

DieselNut
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I can see how the DSC and DSA can be easily confused. I was talking about two different things there.
    Double Star has been supplying PDs and other agencies AR15's since the 1990s or maybe the 80's I can't remember which. Other than their glossy receiver finishes, I'd rather buy one over a colt and save the extra $$$. They still shoot just as good.

DSA on the other hand seems like its a good value for a basic carbine. I feel like YHM offers some neat combinations on their uppers.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

Interesting

17. DieselNut

DieselNut
    Expand Collapse

I guess you're a colt only man?

18. ghostman1960

ghostman1960
    Expand Collapse
    Static Nomad

:upeyes:

19. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

Ive only shot a couple Colts. An M4 and an M16A4. Neither of which were mine personally. But making the statement that a bottom feeder AR shoots as good as a Colt is ridiculous. Thats info that could lead someone to purchase a POS thinking he has just saved himself some money. Next thing you know hes at the range telling they guy next to him he has something "just as good" as a Colt or any other good AR. Its a disservice to the unknowing.

20. DieselNut

DieselNut
    Expand Collapse

Sir Double Star isn't by any means a "bottom feeder." Have you shot a Double Star rifle before?