close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any idea what custom aluminum boxes for my boat will cost?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adams454, May 1, 2012.

1. Adams454

Adams454

I have a 1998 Grumman 16' stick steer boat. The boat came with the plastic seat pedastals that double as livewells. Over the years they have cracked and I can't find a replacement anywhere. I'm just curious what it might cost to have them made for me out of something that won't ever fail again. They'll need to be about 16" long by 14" wide and 13" tall with a solid bottom and a flip top. Any ideas?

2. LippCJ7

LippCJ7

Well to have them made? probably $100 in materials per box for .100 thickness Aluminum treadplate Piano hinges are fairly cheap the hard part is the welder your looking at at least two hours labor per box so another $200(thats high but I don't know your area) and this is for TIG welding ONLY you have to cut the material or order it cut(there are places online for this typically cost $1 per cut/shear) so I bet you will have $300 per box once your done but they will look great.

Does that help?

3. Adams454

Adams454

Yes, that helps. But I was hoping someone was going to say they were much cheaper than that. I'll pay it if I have to. But I was really hoping to see about $125/box. I don't really want treadplate. I would rather have it smooth so I can carpet it later.

4. LippCJ7

LippCJ7

Even flat sheet aluminum is 2/3 the price of treadplate, also its slightly weaker requiring more aluminum to get it just as strong,

http://shop.clavey.com/aluminum-dry-box-p106.aspx pricey....

you may be better off making them yourself out of marine plywood and then cover them with fiberglass, something you could build yourself and save you in labor costs, I've been a hobbyist welder for 20 years and I still am not set up for aluminum completely (MIG not TIG yet), Aluminum is pricey so I thought you could maybe find some mass manufactured boxes that would work but in the short time I looked the above link is all I could find...

5. vtbluegrass

vtbluegrass

Check your local high school or vocational school for a metal fabrication shop. You might be able to get some work done for materials plus a donation. I wouldn't build plywood boxes for the seats just because the weight will add up quick.

6. John43

John43

Try Northern Tool or a Farm Fleet store. They have various sizes.

7. tarpleyg

tarpleyg