Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Any Hunters? new Ruger m77 30-06

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by BenjiEDF, Jan 9, 2013.

1. BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    I just picked up a new bolt action rifle that I intend to use for hunting. It is the Ruger m77 Ultra Light in 30-06, I'm a fairly skilled shooter but not familiar with hunting and I want to get into it. I'm in the northwest of USA and would like to make this into a lightweight deer rifle. Don't bother bashing my selection of rifle brand or caliber... not interested. Looking for advice on what scope to put on it.

Looking for advice on what scope to slap on this rifle for hunting. I would like to keep it lightweight and handy. I've been thinking about a Nikon or Redfield in a 2-7x what do ya think?
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Lightweight and .30-06 usually shouldn't be in the same sentence, if you're hunting out of a blind the weight won't matter. Mostly depends on the type of hunting you're doing.

Scopewise, a 3-9X40mm Nikon would do well, as would most Burris's or a Leupold VX-II (if you have the $, get the Leupold). Again, depends what you're hunting for, and where.

3. Dawolf

Sep 18, 2010
    I have a Redfield Revenge on my M77 in 220 Swift. Very good for up to 300 yds. Yotes beware.
  4. G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    thats a great hunting rifle. I have an older M77 (1970's tang safety) in 30-06, with a Leupold VX-II 3x9. works great for me in the South Texas mesquite scrub for whitetail.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. savage16

savage16 OMGWTF

Dec 25, 2012
    Nicholasville, KY, 40356
    just went out shooting with a Remington 30-06.
    of course he had to jinx me by saying "better not miss"

(semi-offtopic question, how do i embed youtube videos?)
    (**EDIT** oh, just link it)
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  6. bushhogg

Apr 8, 2012
    Yep, I have a 77 in 7mm mag. good platform. the scope depend on area you hunt....
  7. true believer

true believer Moderator

Apr 17, 2000
    drexel hill pa
    2x7 is great for 30-30 but a 06 go with a 3X9...:cool:
  8. bushhogg

Apr 8, 2012
    if you hunt a 100 ac field the 3x9 might not be enough...if your in hard wood and its thick a 4x will be fine... I hunt 600 yd. gas line up 1100 yds. Im older use a Bushhell Elite 6x26
  9. JimM_PA

Sep 26, 2001
    Similar setup here with a Leupold 4x scope for the same amount of time. It has been reliable and accurate in deer season.
  10. WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Fine gun!!! The M77 is a great rifle and the 30-06 is as good as it gets. All damn business. I would stongly suggest a 3x9 instead of a 2x7. JMO. I think Nikon makes very good glass for the money. Their Prostaff is a great scope for the money. That rifle will do anything you want it to. If you want to keep to a light style gun then I would surely shoot the lightest ammo out of it. 150 grain are going to be the easiest to find light 30-06 bullet and will do wonderfully against anything. I strongly suggest using pure copper bullets for maximum effectiveness. Barnes TSX's are the best bullets on the face of the earth and I don't consider that opinion. They are lighter than anything, faster, and will drop anything you use them on! Good luck and enjoy
  11. slumpmaster

slumpmaster Amateur

Mar 18, 2002
    NE WA
    I think you are on the right track. I have lived/ hunted in WA for 32 of my 43 years. If you are hunting the coast or the mountains of NE WA or Idaho panhandle, you will appreciate the 2x end of a low power variable. If you are going for mule deer or elk in the pines, sage and wheat of the Columbia basin, 7x is enough for a shot at reasonable range. If you are going for varmints and coyotes, I'd go with a .243/.25-06 and a higher power variable.

As to brands, I believe that Nikon, Redfield, Burris, Sightron are good values.
  12. slumpmaster

slumpmaster Amateur

Mar 18, 2002
    NE WA
    As to loads in your rifle, if you are going to hunt big game in the Northwest, I strongly recommend finding a 165 grain spire point load that your rifle likes and stick with it. You can do it all with that weight, and when comparing to similarly constructed 150 grain loads, you will typically experience higher energy downrange with somewhat less meat damage. And a little more recoil. If that gets to be too much, I would trade for a standard weight .270.
  13. I agree.:supergrin: Here is my 30-06 with 3x9x50 nikon. This combo has worked well for me.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Optic power selection depends on the shooter, the intended target &
    the intended max distance to a target the shooter wishes to take.
    I have a 2.5-8 power scope on my M1a,......I can hit a 10" target
    all day long at 600m
    For a hunting situation, if I were to hold my shot distance to <250m
    I could see a 2-7 working just fine for ME.
    Seems light weight is a concern for you. Smaller, high quality optics
    let in good light. If you stick to the above distance, you will be fine.
    A smaller objective also allows for a lower optic centerline, thus
    a much more comfortable & solid cheek weld to the rifle stock.

Just my opinion..........others' opinions will vary.
  15. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    wrenchbndr makes a lot of sense.

Everyone will have their favorite scope(s) and brand(s).
    Where you hunt and the type of brush/woods/trees will play a role in what magnification will be best.

The wonderful .30-'06 has 'done the job' for many, many years, and shows no sign of letting up.
    (You'll NEVER hear me say anything bad about the '06!!)

My preference for the '06 is a good 3-9x40mm scope.
    Leupold VX-II or III or Nikon ProStaff or BuckMaster.
    (I've owned all of those and all have been excellent scopes!)

The 'new' Redfield "Revenge" scope is supposed to be nice, and is now made/owned by Leupold.
    A good friend got a Ruger American (.308 Win.) and put a Redfield "Revenge" on it, and took it to Nebraska for 2 weeks (snow, rain, sunshine) and he is now SOLD on that scope!
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  16. TexasVine

Feb 9, 2010
    Central Texas
    First of all, buy as nice as scope as you can afford. You get what you pay for. Good glass is good glass. Secondly, as far as magnification, determine what distance you are shooting at and take a look at several different reticles. I prefer Nikon and Leupolds. For hunting I like the BDC reticle by Nikon using the spot on software that allows you to zero in on different distance at different magnifications.

This is a pic of the laminated print off on my gun stock from the Nikon Spot On Software for the BDC Reticle.
  17. jeremy1

Jan 27, 2006
    Armed In Alberta
    I have 2 M77's and love them. I dont think you can get a hunting rifle from any manufacturer that gives you quality and price. As for the scope, I would recommend a 3-9 x 40. Your choices are all good quality, and I would choose the Redfield. Check into the Leupold VX1's. They are awesome scopes and worth a few extra bucks. I am not sure what prices are like in your area, but you may be able to find one for a good price.

Overall you made a great choice and will be very happy. I don't shoot 30.06 but there is nothing that it can't handle in North America. Ammo is plentiful and cheap.

Enjoy your rifle and post pics!
  18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    3x9 not good enough for 100 yds? Jesus how bad are your eyes?

It's just about all I hunt with, and I've made first round kills out to 500 yds.
  19. How bad are yours? 100ac > 100yds...:supergrin:
  20. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    The Ruger M77 is a fine hunting rifle, and the .30-06 is a great easily available round. I would recommend a 3-9x40mm hunting scope of good quality. I have a Zeiss Conquest on my hunting rifle, and its hard to find a better hunting scope at that price point.

Where I hunt 3 0r 4x zoom is all I ever use, but its nice to have the 9x for sighting in and if I get a chance to hunt a friends property that my have some 200yd open field shots.