Any good tips on managing recoil in G29 with hot 10mm ammo?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by vandros, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Just grow a pair.....you should be all right. :supergrin:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. yeah of bigger hands and i`ll be fine.

3. throw a bath towel over a pullup bar, and grab a handful of the doubled towel. Hang your entire body weight from it for as long as you can, repeat with both hands.

When you can hang for 1 minute, the 10mm will feel like a 22.

4. pasky2112

pasky2112 Senior Member

A 10mm like a 22?? No...this is not a G20 I'm talking about. :supergrin:

I put the Pearce bases on my mags and have shot it more and my groups are shrinking @25yds... max IDPA distances where I shoot. I can routinely hit the 6" plates and pep poppers, now. I'm MUCH happier with it. (15yd slow fire results attached) BTW, I will trade my custom-made 'bad guy' targets for Large Pistol Primers.. :whistling:

IMHO, the G29 is a unique pistol when shooting real 10mm loads 100+ rnds / session.
    At first, It felt like I was shooting a .454 Derringer! I'm liking the challenge.
    Improvise, adapt, overcome...

Attached Files:

5. ..and you need to understand that grip strenth will help ALOT in various areas of life, shooting included. Give it a try, what do you have to lose?

6. You can sand the lines smooth in the valleys of the finger grooves, even on the Pearce extensions. With an inner tube stretched tight on it, the grip is'nt noticably larger even without messing with the sandpaper or file.

You may find the 10mm Glocks are just too large for you to feel comfortable with. You would'nt be the first and your G33 is'nt a bad 2nd. choice. A 32 will get you another 3 rds. and 50 FPS over the 33 in a pistol very close in size to the 29 but smaller grip and lighter. Good luck.

7. My distance from a suitable range, and my budget required that I discover a new solution to your same issue. This happened accidentally.
    Recently I helped a friend build a heavy wooden structure held together with 40d nails (5" x about 1/4", using a baby 2 1/2 lb. sledge. A lot of nail pounding !!! We did this for several weekends and allowing a day or three for this 68 yr old to recover, I discovered how much less grip pressure I needed to keep the G20 with my heavy handloads on target for the follow-ups. I use a old soft railroad tie and a 2 1/2 sledge using L & R hands separately to pound on at least once a week. Works great.

8. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Buy a .40?

Seriously? The 29SF has very manageable recoil even with Buffalo Bore heavy 180gr, one handed, and no finger extension.