close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Any field results for Ruger 204?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lomfs24, Mar 2, 2005.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    I have been looking at getting that Ruger 204 (have not decided on a model yet). Does anyone have any good/bad field reviews of this caliber. Barrel wear, throat errosion other problems etc...

I am looking for actual people's shooting results not hyped press released lawyer rewritten magazine articles.

2. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    I've owned one for awhile. Nothing spectacular, one way or another, to report. Shoots flat and hits hard - but so do a plethora of other well-established varmint rounds.

For my money it's still going to be tough to beat an accurate .223 for a GP pest round. If you need something flatter shooting move up to a .17 Remington.

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    I've got a 17 Rem. I was looking for something with the same speed but with a little heavier bullet. That's what caught my eye for the .204. I also already have a .223 and a 22-250.

4. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    If you're a reloader cobble up some .17 rounds with Berger 30grn. bullets. I've never used them on soft targets but they shoot fine on paper from a stock barrel.

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    I'll give 'er a shot (No pun intended).

6. Greybeard

Greybeard

Dec 26, 2002
    North Texas
    A college kid I met a month or three back said his was quite wicked on feral hog. Ear shots dropped 'em in tracks.

7. My buddy had a CZ .204 for about two weeks. Very lackluster accuracy. No groups Sub M.O.A. He traded it off for a .22 Hornet. My favorite is the .222 Rem. I have one in a 21" Contender Carbine. Very accurate and very light. My only complaint is that as light as the rifle is, it hops up when fired from a prone posistion, and you cannot watch the bullets impact the target.