Any EMTs -- Carry Knife?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by cuervo, Sep 12, 2005.

1. That is the only reason I haven't bought a Benchmade. If I lose one of my Cold Steel folders no big deal as I can replace it for $40 - 50. I think I would be to worried of losing a $150 knife to enjoy it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I just carry a cheap 3-4" locking blade with a pocket clip. Over 15 years, I've spent less than $25.00 on knives and not never had 1 not do what I wanted it to.

3. I carry a Benchmade model 5 Rescue hook. Never cut a seatbelt with it, but have cut off clothing on patients and have used the O2 wrench many times. I like it because it is very small and light. I don't even know it is there on my belt. As far as a knife, I carry either a Benchmade 9050 auto or a Coldsteel Recon 1. And I agree with others about the "EMT knives" being just a marketing scheme. I have broken a few windows, but used a Halligan spike or some other handtool from off the truck.

4. Been on FD 6 years. Never once punched a window or cut a seatbelt on a scene, only in training.

I carry a S&W Extreme OPS. Works fine for me.

5. You have to love Terminator style

:cool:

Seriouly though, i carry i Gerber Firestorm.

6. Ok I guess I wil be the one to be different. I carry a strider SNG in front right pocket,HAk around my neck,S&W responderon belt in right rear,Benchmade rescue hook in front shirt pocket. I have broken out several windows with the S&W.Most were in the early days when we all thought this was SOP. Now I semdolm break any glass. But I will allways carry my SNG I dont care if it did cost $400.00 You get what you pay for.

7. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

I carry a magnum I got for free from CDNN when I ordered a bunch of stuff from them. I think it is their lightweight.

I like it.

8. I carry a CRKT M16 13fd, not a bad knife.

9. personally, i prefer having a knife with a point. Can't carry my piece on duty so i want to have at least something i can claim is a tool. So that's the cold steel prolite.

For cutting cloting and webbing i use a benchmade rescue hook

10. Was carrying an Emerson CQC7 until it started playing hide and seek on me, might mix it up with a Gerber multi tool occasionally. Waiting for my Randall #10-3 in orange G10 to arrive.

I would say that more guys on our department than not, carry a blade with them most of the time.

Rob

11. If you got cash to burn, get Bench Made. If you want a good utility knife, get a S&W.

12. I carry one of two Gerber 3" folders while on duty. One of them has a black pocket clip and blade and the other is silver. They both have pointy ends and are very sharp. They're usually clipped in one of my front pockets or in a utility pocket on my thigh.

My only complaint about these knives is that their clip is mounted near the hinge. If they were mounted at the other end, I could easily draw my knife out and open it without having to turn it around 180 degrees in my hand first. My knives aren't designed as combat knives though.;f

I have rarely needed to use the knife for patient care purposes, but when I have had to, it's been invaluable. 99 times out of 100, I generally prefer to use my T-shears instead for most tasks.

I have found that my knife is a great utensil.

13. I carry a Gerber 800 legend. Best multi-tool I have owned.

14. I usually carry a Masters of Defense CQD Mk. 1 with the window punch. It's worked pretty well so far. When I don't want something as big and bulky I carry my Kershaw Blackout. I also carry a Leatherman Wave on my belt.

15. RESCUE31

RESCUE31 G-22 G-27

I carry a Sog multitool and a Kershaw Scallion

16. I have a SOG EOD multitool. Awesome piece of equipment. Every medic who's played with mine has been ready to ditch their leatherman's and gerber's

17. Joey

Millennium Member

Emerson PSARK

18. Guess im just an odd ball. I carry a 12 dollar folding utility knife from lowes.. It folds jsut lieka pocket knife, but is actually a razor blade.. I keep it clipped on the velcro strap that covers the zippers on my boot.. Always worked well for me...

19. Those things are great. In my opinion a tactical folder should be used for what it's intended. I use one of the folding box cutters for opening packages and the stuff not worth dulling my carry knife over.

20. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You know that knives can be sharpened, right? ^8