Any EMTs -- Carry Knife?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by cuervo, Sep 12, 2005.

1. [edit: Meant to post in Cop Talk, but maybe it fits here, too, or Mods will move it.]

[edit again: I never noticed the FF/EMS Forum here. Maybe Mods will move this to the FF/EMS forum.]

I figured this might get answered here and is maybe a follow-up to an earlier post I asked on switchblades in NC. I had asked about switchblades because I was looking at a Microtech MSE but would like to find something that is close to it but in a manual version.

So, as far as something to cut webbing and break glass, what does anyone carry? The features I'd like to have are: non-pointed blade, carbide glass breaker, line cutter without having to open knife, and maybe assisted opening when opening is necessary.

I'm not looking to be a EMT-wanta-be, anymore than a CCW makes me a Cop-wanta-be. I do believe, though, that in any situation, I am my first line of defense and/or rescue.

I've looked at SOG's new Trident and it fits pretty close except it has a pointed blade.
    http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SOGTF1

Colt has a line that is pretty close except maybe for the fast opening.
    http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CT0101EMSB

Spiderco & Kershaw, no external cutter.
    http://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-knife-assist-sp-c79psbk.html
    http://www.botac.com/kerebl.html

tia

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    TN EMTs will be allowed to carry? Firefighter/EMS Talk Apr 5, 2005
    CNN reporter bit 2 EMTs while in drunken rage: suit The Okie Corral Aug 4, 2014
    Two EMTs seriously injured in MVC Firefighter/EMS Talk Jan 19, 2014
    How may of you are also EMTs? Cop Talk Jul 24, 2012
    Any Firefighters, Paramedics or EMTs here? California Glockers May 1, 2009

3. Slinger646

Slinger646 King of Sling

I carry a SOG trident and a Smith & Wesson First Response. Maybe a Mod could move this to FF/EMS section of GT

4. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

I have the Colt for work and it sucks, if you get it unscrew the allen bolts and use locktite, i lost about 3-4 screws, they just fell out. I used to use the knife on fire scenes alot but have since started to use my cold steel Recon1 instead, its over engeneered and will last longer, however I cant use it for med cause of the pointed blade. The Colt would be my choice for MEDICAL but use loctite. Hope this helps.

5. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Cold Steel makes a very good knife for the money. Just don't order direct as you can save a lot by ordering from a online dealer.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Smith & Wesson "First Response". Flat point, belt cutter blade and glass breaking spring-loaded point.

7. Privatejoker

Privatejoker Bang Bang Bang

8. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I carry a Benchmade McHenry & Williams and absolutely love it.

9. non pointed blade!!!! argh!!! democnife

;i

[​IMG]

10. I carry a Smith and Wesson First Responder 911 knife.
    http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/SW911

You can find them a lot cheaper on ebay but there is a picture of one.

My whole department loved mine except one guy who didn't like the open blade for a seat belt cutter but you would really have to work to cut someone with it. Not saying you couldn't it just wouldn't be unintentional.

11. Try a SOG Flash, I've got the Flash Tanto, this thing is great. Opens fast and never fails to slice through anything I need it to and it holds a razor edge for longer than most others I've used.

http://www.sogknives.com/flash.htm

12. IMHO these specialized "EMT Knives" are just a marketing ploy. In 22 years of service I have had to punch 1 window, and I did than with an axe head. As for seat belts I have NEVER had to cut one, ever. So all this add-on stuff is extra weight. If you're concerned with a pointy knife get a Spyderco Rescue and call it good. :cool:

13. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I have heard that the actual times a seat belt needs to be cut is very small. I am interested in what others have to say about this.

14. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Maybe so, buy hey...it sure is fun!!! ;f ;a

15. Charlie Fox,

Good point, and I'm probably trying to kill too many birds with one stone.

To some extent, I'm thinking of both getting into someone else's car if I ever happen upon an accident and getting out of mine if I need to; not to mention just everyday use.

Thanks for the input everyone.

16. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Same here!

I carry two pocket folders, a Gerber and a Kershaw, neither one of them have anything to do with pt care! If I ever need to cut a seat belt, which I never have, I'll use my trauma shears.

If I ever need to break a window I'll just use my fist, Terminator style! The ladies would love that! ;f

17. I was an EMT back n the 1980's. I carried a Buck 110 Folding Hunter. Great knife, I never had a problem with it.

18. Privatejoker

Privatejoker Bang Bang Bang

+1 for the Spyderco Rescue.

19. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I carry a Kershaw Speed Safe partially serrated. I've had Spyderco's as well as other brands, but for my money the Kershaw is wonderful!!! Great, fast, simple.

A lot of guys around her carry wacker packs (trauma shears, penlight, scissors, but so far my knife has gotten be by just fine when needed.

-Emt1581

20. oldstyle

oldstyle Jeep Pirate

Me too! Mine is the smaller 705. My all time favorite knife.

21. I lost my spyderco rescue on a call last week!

:(