close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Duck Hunterns Out There?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sundog, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Sundog

Sundog
    Expand Collapse
    Thread Killer

If so, I hope you're seeing more ducks than I am. I hunt in NW Mississippi, and the pickin's been slim. This warm winter that the southeast has been experiencing since Christmas has evidently moved the ducks back north. I may go again once or twice befoe the end of the season (it's a seven hour drive for me), but not unless conditions improve.

Any good photos of recent hunts would be great!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mpol777

mpol777
    Expand Collapse
    Feral Member

My dad had about 10,000 flying through a DAY a while back. Of course he lives on Lake Erie right on the migration route. If you ever get the chance it's something to see. A continuous stream of ducks about 300-900 yards off shore and rafts of hundreds on the water.

No such luck for me out here in the desert. A few in the canals in town, but the local PD probably wouldn't look to kindly on me shooting them. ;f

3. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

ducks down here has been sparse. The teal that normally migrate to these warmer areas, have been as you put it "slim pickings". I think alot of this has todo with how cold the northern areas are. Just keep on waiting and soon you should get a big flock of ducks coming down.

4. d0truji

d0truji
    Expand Collapse

Been out every weekend since the season started here. It's been a little slower than normal but we are still seeing about 1000 ducks a day and killing close to the limit.

Strange thing is that we only killed mallards until last weekend when my friend shot a shoveler and a green wing teal.

I'm loving it!

5. USPcompact

USPcompact
    Expand Collapse

Not much here in NC since Christmas. ;g

6. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

Sorry guys, I guess we took too many up here back in September! ;f

7. USPcompact

USPcompact
    Expand Collapse

Welllllllllll, looks like I told a fib about there not being any ducks in NC. We absolutely wore them out Monday and Tuesday at Lake Mattamuskeet in the eastern part of the state.

Monday's bag - a wiley trumpeter swan (yes, you can shoot those here in NC), pintail, wigeon, limit of black duck, mallard, spoon bill, and I think someone accidently shot a coot or three. Have no idea who that was (me).

Tuesday's bag - same as Monday, but with a limit of pintail and a single snow goose to go with it. Saw a neck banded swan that landed in our decoys, but someone forgot to put any shot in my shells and he flew off.

8. shrpshtr

shrpshtr
    Expand Collapse

i had a pretty good hunt in maryland the 1st week of january but that is about it.

here are a couple of pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. quinnt

quinnt
    Expand Collapse

seasons over form me.....i live in massachusetts

didnt get anythign

got a goose tho so that was cool

10. FullClip

FullClip
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    CLM

HUNTING DUCKS!!!!! AAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!;f

Not any more, too wet and cold for me, and have never been too good at sitting still. Will still go once in a while on a nice day "jump shooting" in the canoe when my buddy and I take turns paddling up the streams.

Prefer upland (partridge) as normally just a nice walk in the woods and sometimes I get lucky and weed out a few stupid birds from the gne pool.

11. CodeBlue23

CodeBlue23
    Expand Collapse

I've never heard of a "wiley" trumpeter swan, but i do know that trumpeter swans are nongame species. The swans hunted in NC are whistling swans. Also, there are no trumpeter swans in NC.

I hunted some impoundments at Mattamuskeet this past weekend and we did fairly well, 10 mallards, 3 gadwall, 3 wood ducks and a shoveler. Tried for a swan but we were unsucessful.

12. USPcompact

USPcompact
    Expand Collapse

Oops, meant "tundra" instead of "trumpeter." And "wiley" as in "dumb as rocks."

13. CodeBlue23

CodeBlue23
    Expand Collapse

10-4 on the wiley, didn't catch that lingo....i've never really even hunted swans (well have tried once but didn't have a chance to shoot) but i have heard that they are not smart animals

14. USPcompact

USPcompact
    Expand Collapse

We were busy catching up on our limit last Tuesday afternoon when, in the midst of downing a pair of pintails, a group of 4 swans landed right smack in the middle of our decoys. One had a neck band. "Stupid" does not begin to describe these birds. :)

15. True Punisher

True Punisher
    Expand Collapse
    Light 'em up!

I live in Minnesota and for the last few years the duck hunting has gotten bad. It is so bad that we can't even get our limit. Most guys I talked to around here it is the same story, and most of us think it is our weather being to warm over the season.

16. d0truji

d0truji
    Expand Collapse

Season is over :(

The Snow season is still open but I can't find them. There is always next year.

[​IMG]

The new pup.

[​IMG]

17. chevy01234

chevy01234
    Expand Collapse

Here is the last hunt I went on this year. I have many more pictures from previous hunts saved on another computer. I will try and post them up soon. I was hunting in the MS delta on some family land. Season was so so at best.

18. chevy01234

chevy01234
    Expand Collapse

Those were the only two blue bills I killed all year. Two days before that I killed two red heads on the same hole. Usually more big ducks but not this year.

19. pred8r

pred8r
    Expand Collapse

I can't complain down here in texas. i live 30 mins.from the katy prairie. fat mallards lots of teal and a few pintails. Now that duck season is over, I am enjoying the specail geese conservation season.....