close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any difference in old 70 series colt and new 70 series?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by AWMP, Aug 27, 2012.

1. AWMP

AWMP
    Expand Collapse

Any difference between the old Colt MK IV Series 70 series and the ones produced today? (full size)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

IIRC (I hope) Colt dropped the horrible "collet" bushing. worked great unless it broke, then it became an instant PITA. Didn't really help accuract either or everybody would be using it today

3. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Colt's quality has been good as of late.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

Depends on which MkIV. Early 70s? I can dig it. Later ones? Iffy.

By 1980, Colt's quality really took a dump and didn't recover until mid 2000s.

5. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

The series 80 wasn't much to write home about although the safety wasn't as bad as predicted Colt just wan't as good as it should have been.Now that they have reintroduced the 70 I have heard the quality has picked back up

6. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc
    Expand Collapse

I have both. A 1976 model and a 2011 model. Love 'em both.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo
    Expand Collapse

Yes, the last I knew the new Custom Shop Series 70's have the slide machined for the Series 80 safety but simply do not install it on the guns.

8. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc
    Expand Collapse

Mine doesn't.

9. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

The only mechanical difference between a real original Mk IV Series 70 Colt and a 1969 Government Model was the Accurizor collet bushing. There were cosmetic differences in the roll marks, sandblasted walnut grips, and plated trigger, but the roll marks were reduced in size and checkered grips and blue trigger were reinstated partway through the production run.

The current gun under the label of Series 70 does not have a collet bushing, which most people consider an advantage.
    Colt is just advertising to the consumer market that thinks "Series 70" means "lacking a firing pin block."
    So the current "Series 70" is more like a 1960s gun than a 1970s model, except for the roll marks.

I have READ that they use some common internal parts with the Series 80 guns like a firing pin stop cleared for the Lawyer Levers and a "safety stop" hammer, but have not inspected one closely enough to know.

10. AWMP

AWMP
    Expand Collapse

This is what I purchased.
    [​IMG]

11. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

And that's what I bought used a few months back too. My serial number ran into the early 1970s (I think it was '74). Quite a good shooter.

12. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

It broke because retards didn't understand how to field strip the gun with one of those in there.

13. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

No, like any spring they suffered from fatigue, and like any other small part especially a spring any small defect in the metal or the tempering caused a weak spot. There were cases of brand new ones In guns lubed and fired less than 500 rds. Not often, but obviously more than a solid bushing and a much bigger pain when the dislodged part re located in the lcking lug area as the slide closed.