close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any compact rocket fans here?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by 97guns, Feb 12, 2007.

1. 97guns

97guns
    Expand Collapse

i currently have a heavily modified vw gti turbo and love the thing but ever since driving my '97 supercharged grand prix i vowed to never own another naturally aspired vehicle. my vw is probably gonna have to be smogged this coming december and will not pass. im now looking at a mazda 3 turbo that puts down 260 horspower and 280 foot pounds of torque and am gonna test drive it in the next few days. just wondering if anyone else here is into these pocket rockets and what other alternatives do i have in the low 20,000 range. for 22k the mazda seems to be the best of the breed.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Rob1035

Rob1035
    Expand Collapse
    Skeet Surfer

I love hot econocars, miss my Integra Type R frequently.

I test drove the Mazdaspeed3, and it was not nearly as fast as the mags made it out to be. Handled well enough for a front driver, but I'm forever owned by German rwd steering.

3. NotAMonte86

NotAMonte86
    Expand Collapse

If you must have a new car in that range, the SRT4 can't be beat.

4. 97guns

97guns
    Expand Collapse

just picked up a mazdaspeed 3 yesterday trading in my CEL ridden vw 1.8T with 35500 miles for $8300. it rolls on 18's and a sub 6 second 14 flat @ the 1/4 mile car. the salesman saw the CEL after the deal was done and i told him with my poker face - it just came on, it wasn't on earlier, hmmmmm. if the vw wasnt due for a smog check this coming fall i would have kept it, this one is staying stock.....

[​IMG]

5. GroovedG19

GroovedG19
    Expand Collapse
    Laguna Blue AP2

Nice ride, 97guns.

6. spoonhatchcrap

spoonhatchcrap
    Expand Collapse

yes those are nice...i ll run my b series hatch for pinks against it though;)

7. uninc

uninc
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2000 Eclipse GT.
    Mods- Greddy EvoII exhaust system, Injen cold air intake, Megan Racing short shifter with Greddy counter weighted knob, ES shifter bushings, Apc euro tail lights, clear corner lights, Passport X50 radar, and more to come!

8. aussiesmg

aussiesmg
    Expand Collapse

Old skool through and through I own several 1st gen RX7s, none are stock, one is looking good for a transplant

9. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00
    Expand Collapse

I've got a 90 CRX DX with a ZC swapped in. Flowmaster exhaust with an opened up stock air box. Its got decent rims on it, but other than that it's stock. USPSA has been taking all of my money:supergrin: . It's not the fastest thing for sure, but going from 80 or so hp to 135 makes it a lot more fun to drive.

10. spoonhatchcrap

spoonhatchcrap
    Expand Collapse

11. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

97guns, nice.

My brother keeps yacking on and on about wanting the Mazdaspeed 3. Unfortunately for him he has 2 kids and a house to pay for.

My dream car right now is not a hatch, but a Subie WRX STi Limted. I am loving the AWD on my Legacy GT right now, but wish it had a turbo.

12. Bushflyr

Bushflyr
    Expand Collapse
    ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Millennium Member

What won't pass? Visual, OBD II, or sniffer? Learn what you need to do to pass then go from there. My WRX is pretty modded but will still pass smog.
    [​IMG]

13. supv26

supv26
    Expand Collapse

There is going to be a rally race here this weekend with a lot of these cars in it. Here is a link to the web site:
    http://www.rally-america.com/index.php
    http://www.rally-america.com/story.php?article=181

They have been coming in all week with some famous names included. It will try to get my camera and get some pics tomorrow and Saturday. This has been going on here for years now and I enjoy seeing them. There is some opposition to the racing in the back roads.

14. BigBadStang

BigBadStang
    Expand Collapse

"any compact rocket fans here?"

Nope...lol...

J/K... to each his/her own!

15. Glocker424

Glocker424
    Expand Collapse

You call that a rocket? Its a slow honda civic with a new intake. Omg so fast! Get some american muscle, unless you like running 17 second 1/4 miles! :tongueout: :supergrin:

16. spoonhatchcrap

spoonhatchcrap
    Expand Collapse

you know nothing of swapped hondas don't you? and why is it everytime theres a post somewhere about sport compacts, some moron with v8 and a car that weighs 4000 lbs half the size of a school bus comes in and starts talking out his ass? this post has nothing to do with american muscle. so why participate? i love all cars, including your beloved detroit iron. i have no problems whatsoever with stangs and such. but i hate it when someone comes in here and bashes on somebody,especially when they havent a clue about what the car may run in the 1/4.

by the way the motor is totally stock besides intake and exhaust and the car runs 14.6 at 94. add a few parts for fuel enrichment and some boost and the car is in the 11's easy. for less than 10k. you were saying?

17. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt
    Expand Collapse

97guns, how do you like the new car?

18. supv26

supv26
    Expand Collapse

I've seen a tuned 4 banger eat a few American muscle cars for lunch!!! You may want to be careful what you say to some of these guys building the import cars. I was at the dragstrip a couple of years ago and saw several imports and domestic sport coupes run well over 100 MPH in the quarter mile! My new '06 Chevy Truck and my '97 RS Camaro won't even come close to that!

19. spoonhatchcrap

spoonhatchcrap
    Expand Collapse

thanks for being open minded about performance..didn't mean to rant earlier i just dont like being short changed for what i drive.

20. 97guns

97guns
    Expand Collapse

im liking it alot, so far i only have a couple hundered on the odo. and really havn't gotten on it too much but it does feel a bit snappier than the GTI. the handling is awesome in its stock form and blows away my dropped, sway bar'd, stress bar'd GTI in this department. no regrets thus far.