close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any atheists/agnostics here anti-abortion?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Blast, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Blast

Blast
    Expand Collapse
    'nuff said

Simple question. Requiring only a simple answer.
    I have always been anti-abortion... even in my agnostic days. I was strongly agnostic when Roe v Wade went down. And I know quite a few atheists/agnostics that are also anti-abortion.
    Religion has not been the reason I am anti-abortion.
    So often I hear "If you're anti-abortion, you must be a Christian." :upeyes:
    It's true that all real Christians as well as Jews, Muslims, Buddists, etc.
    are anti-abortion, but not all those against abortion are of those religions.

This is not a "define life" issue.
    But for the standard trolls, I consider life begins when genes combine and cells begin to grow.

So are there respecters of life among the RI heathen? :popcorn:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Blast, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. ksg0245

ksg0245
    Expand Collapse

I'm not anti-abortion in the sense that I think it should be illegal, and I object far less to early term abortion as opposed to late, but my preference would be universally available and correctly used effective birth control to the point that abortions needn't be considered.

3. Woofie

Woofie
    Expand Collapse
    Disirregardless
    CLM
    1. Project Mayhem

I am generally not a fan, but there are situations where i feel it would be more wrong to give birth than to terminate the pregnancy.

4. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

Agnostic here.

It's not a simple question at all - abortion is a complex and difficult ethical problem.

There are questions of when life begins, with equally valid arguments on both sides of the debate. Questions about whether the health of the mother should factor into the decision to abort, and at what point in the gestation of the offspring such a decision should (or even can) be made. Questions about whether a woman has the right to make a unilateral decision to abort.

Being an atheist or an agnostic surely does color one's opinion on these points, just as being a fundamentalist colors them.

My personal opinion is that education and access to birth control at puberty would obviate the need for many pregnancies, unwanted children, and abortions - even as children grow into adulthood. I'm NOT advocating that children be sexual. Parental education - for which we need educated parents - can teach children that there is much more to sex than physical pleasure.

But it's time we stop denying the power of the hormonal changes that children go through at puberty. Time to stop denying that they are sexually mature at that point. Time to explain to them that they do not have the emotional maturity to make good decisions regarding sex until several years after puberty, and as a corollary, abandon the failed notion that strict abstinence is the only answer.

As for 'adult' women - I believe in the sanctity of choice over the sanctity of an fetus, no matter what potential that fetus might have. Again, I would prefer that a woman, or preferably a couple, make a decision that allows that fetus to become a person, with all the rights and opportunities that a person has in this world.

But there are situations - many situations - in which an abortion is the best option.

#4 eracer, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  5. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom
    Expand Collapse

I am not an atheist, but i do believe abortion should be an option in the case of rape or in the case that without it the life of the mother is in danger.

6. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE
    Expand Collapse

Im a Atheists and I think nobody but the woman and her doctor should make that decision.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't want one of my children to have an abortion, but I would support her if she did. As for your children, none of my business.

Trying to ban abortion is unrealistic. It's been tried and was less successful than banning pot. People with the means went out of the county and those lacking the means had clandestine abortions, often with disastrous results.

8. Japle

Japle
    Expand Collapse
    John, Viera, Fl

I'm an Atheist. Not only am I pro-choice, I'm pro-abortion.

We've got too many people on this planet already.

9. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Let me guess, you are pro-gun control, also. :shocked:

10. AlexHassin

AlexHassin
    Expand Collapse

where is there any corrolary between the two?

11. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I am just thinking that he is just another GT liberal. :upeyes:

12. 427

Expand Collapse

As a former fetus, I'm against abortion.

I'm not, in any way, a religious person.

Here's my story;

I was born when just before Roe v Wade was decided. Had abortion been legal at the time I might not exist. I didn't have a choice. My birth mother who was a college student, put me up for adoption.

She could've terminated the pregnancy, and that would've been it, but my fate was decided by a phone call - I was claimed by two people who accepted me as their son.

I didn't have a choice in any of the decision process. None. Zip. Zero. Nada.

The argument is that it's a woman's body, it's her choice, but what of me?

It's not a religious issue for me, it's an issue of survival.

I'm grateful to be alive and happy with my life.

Edit - It's not my place to judge others and impose my beliefs on them.

#12 427, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  13. John Rambo

John Rambo
    Expand Collapse
    Raven

Nah, if you want to poison your fetus with RU-486 and then have it vacuumed out, I say more power to you. Its not hurting me, and its none of my business.

14. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

I am curious. We have seen all kinds of pro-abortion support. Now, some of it has been about rape and incest, and a lot of it has been about convenience. To expand on the concept of convenience, say, the woman decides to give birth to the child; but toward the end changes her mind. Late term abortion, not being a viable option, she gives birth in a secluded location and then dumps the baby in a trash can. Do the folks that are okay with with abortion, have a problem with this scenario, and if so, why?

15. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

When it comes to abortion, most conservatives are really hypocritical. They want the government out of their lives but they want it neck deep in the lives of pregnant women. Most of the same people who are anti-abortion are even more vehemently opposed having their taxes raised to support unwanted children or that the birth parents simply can't afford a child.

16. Japle

Japle
    Expand Collapse
    John, Viera, Fl

Bad guess. And I doubt you were doing much thinking at all.

NRA Life Member since 1976, now an Endowment Member. I donate a minimum of $1,000 per year to the NRA/ILA.

Registered Republican since 1967. Never voted for a Democrat in my life.

But since I’m pro-choice, that makes me a “liberal”?

17. Japle

Japle
    Expand Collapse
    John, Viera, Fl

Once the child is born, it’s legally a person. At that point, the laws against murder apply.

18. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

You're a liberal because he disagrees with you but he can't defend his position. See that a lot on GT.

19. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

only slightly liberal - sorry.

20. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

Now are we discussing legality, or morality and philosophy? How is it any different to kill a viable life within a body, and to kill a viable life outside a body?