close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Any Agencies Shoot Only JHP?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Bill Lumberg, Jun 14, 2013.

1. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    No......

2. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

Mar 20, 2005
    Texas
    We only shot their once. We shot their to qualify with duty ammo before we graduated.

3. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Gotcha. CITP?

4. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

Mar 20, 2005
    Texas
  5. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Fun times. I didn't realize that HSI's add-on was at FLETC as well.

6. the critter

the critter

Aug 13, 2012
    Dually noted, just sent the link to my FTO.

7. rockapede

rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    If they like Hornady, the Critical Duty round in the link looks similar to Critical Defense but is actually more robust and designed to pass FBI protocols, just FYI. Still probably better all around to stick with Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, or Winchester Ranger-T though.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Once state contract pricing dropped the cost of duty JHP to the cost of major factory ball loads (or lower), we went to using duty JHP for normal quals/training.

It made it possible to shoot existing duty loads for every qual and replace it with fresh duty loads.

Green loads for outside training, if needed due to the venue.

Surplus factory ball loads which surface now and again (seized, donated, acquired from other agencies, etc) get dumped into qual/training stations for use as extra ammo if needed by shooters over & above whatever they're carrying on the gun belts. (Remediation, re-shoots, extra practice, etc.)

We had to start limiting duty ammo availability for off-duty weapon quals when increasingly more folks started bringing in multiple guns. We carry the major duty calibers (9, .40 & .45), as well as .380 & .38 Spl +P. Folks with more than a couple of off-duty weapons (or other authorized calibers) are told to bring their own factory ammo if they want to shoot a lot more of their own guns for quals.

We provide ammo for the same "common calibers" for LEOSA & retirement quals, as well as pre-scheduled range access, targets & instructor staff as a courtesy ... although that could change at any time, of course.

When I was a young cop we were handed 1 box of duty ammo when hired, and then given little plastic bags of nasty LRN or LSWC remanufactured loads for quals. "New" duty ammo was seldom seen unless it had to occur due to new guns/calibers. You had to buy your own better quality (or Magnum) ammo if you wanted to do more than minimum quals or practice.

We only managed to get the money to buy new factory qual ammo after going from revolvers to new hi-cap 9's and having a couple of the LRN remanufactureed loads cause issues during quals. :rofl:

We have it a LOT better nowadays (aside from occasional waiting on order due to production/supply demands, of course).

9. R.T.

R.T.

Aug 29, 2011
    Not true, plenty of folks at FLETC shoot duty ammo. The Center Basic Programs, UPTP, CITP, etc., use frangible but Agency Advanced, in-service and state & local training is often done with duty carry ammo.

Also not true, several federal agencies use a less expensive (or more expensive non-toxic) ammo for practice.

LOL, best one yet, where do you guys get this stuff? Actually FLETC has 3 lead ranges and gloves or masks are not required or recommended. Only the used cleaning supplies go into "special bins" and that's an EPA requirement. The targets go in the trash and the brass gets recycled.

10. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Um, probably comes from personal experience there. :wavey:

What agency are you with again?

11. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

Mar 20, 2005
    Texas
    [​IMG]

12. R.T.

R.T.

Aug 29, 2011
    For the last 11 years I have worked for FLETC. The 22 years prior to coming to FLETC, I worked for 2 different Federal agencies and 1 Local.

How about you?

13. R.T.

R.T.

Aug 29, 2011
    Excellent!

14. the critter

the critter

Aug 13, 2012
    Correction, the dept issues Critical Duty, I was mistaken. The reason i thought they issued Defence is there was a couple of boxes in the console of my FTO's cruiser, turns out they were some personal boxes he had purchased for his wifes gun.