close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Any Advantage One Way or Another?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by unit1069, Oct 28, 2012.

1. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I have a good supply of premium JHP self-defense ammo in bonded and non-bonded varieties.

Now that cold weather is approaching I'm inclined to favor the bonded variety.

My question is about clothing and not hard barrier penetration. Is a bonded bullet more likely to reliably overcome and expand in soft barriers (clothing) than the non-bonded variety?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    It seems so.

Seems like many of the more "recent" (typically less than ten years old) designs like the HST, PDX1, Ranger Bonded, Gold Dot, etc) are bonded JHPs- being more recent these should be more resistant to clogging. Since the FBI test protocols and the IWBA four layer denim seem to do a decent job of "separating the wheat from the chaff", I'd go with a bullet (bonded or unbonded) that passes those tests and load up with that.

3. attrapereves

attrapereves

Sep 11, 2011
    Midwest
    Honestly, I don't think clothing makes that much of a difference, even the thickest of coats. Pick a good JHP from any of the major ammo manufacturers, and you should be good to go.

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Bonding will help it stay together, but I doubt if it has any real effect in initiating expansion. More a function of bullet design, speed / lead alloy composition.

5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I am concerned about the layers of winter clothing clogging up my 9mm 115gr +p+ JHP bullets. I am thinking about carrying a .45 M1911A1 in the winter here in VT.