close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Any 9mm loads w/ Rem 5.5 primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by chemcmndr, Apr 2, 2010.

1. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Aug 23, 2008
    Beavercreek, OH
    Has anyone tried any loads for 9mm using Remington 5 1/2 primers and Hodgdon Universal powder? I know they are magnum primers, and some people get by with them by reducing the powder load, but by how much is what I'm wondering. I have 900 of these primers, that would go to waste otherwise, so I'm just looking for a load that's relatively accurate to shoot them with.

Thanks for the help!

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Drop your normal load by about 10% and just work back up. If you're already at mouse flatulence you probably won't have to do anything.

Jack

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I agree w/ Grandp.. I mean, Jack.. :)

Someone posted some chrony results not to long ago on the differences of small and small magnum primers( i think it was cci though), and the difference was about 60fps. So if you're not loading close to max, you're probably OK. Probably still a good idea to just start low and work back up again.

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Work it up, Start with just the primer and add .1 gr till it works right. Bring a brass rod and a hammer to the range to beat out the first 20 rounds or so.

Happy April 2nd!!!! ;)

Anyone but me notice we didn't have a April 1st prank around here yesterday?

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

I was going to post one but I figured I'd get yelled at... and you know how sensitive I am. :crying:

Jack

6. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Here's a pretty good one. I bet he got a bunch of new reloaders.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcORkOcGsIM

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010