close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any 4th Gen. Supra owners or enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by DigiDuckie, Mar 5, 2005.

1. DigiDuckie

DigiDuckie Strapped Duck

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastern NC
    I once owned a '97 TT 15th Anniversary Edition in Alpine Silver Metallic. 6sp, targa top, black leather interior. I lost my good paying job, therefore I lost this excellent piece of machinery. Like the saying goes though; it is better to love and lost, than to have never loved at all.

2. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    I've always liked them, but too expensive for me back when I actually could own a fun car;)

3. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    These aren't imported anymore right?

4. DigiDuckie

DigiDuckie Strapped Duck

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastern NC
    Correct. '98 was the last year. It seems that they are happy with the Celica carrying the weight of Toyota power. ;Q

5. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    nice cars, overengineered for sure. I drove a buddies with ~400whp, quite fun, although heavy feeling, still handled well. Virtually unlimited power potential.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Don't know what the hell is going on with Toyota. They are doing away with the Celica and the MR2, so technically they don't even have sporty cars any more. But then supposedly they are working on another Supra and an exotic car.

Honda is letting the S2000 carrying the weight because the NSX is going to be going bye-bye soon with no replacement.

7. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

Jul 9, 2002
    oh man, Id love to have a toyota supra, but, even now, they are kinda expensive.

8. Toxie

Toxie

Apr 30, 2004
    Supposidly going to bring back the prelude in 2007.

Although Honda and particurlarly Toyota are HORRIABLE on power (for their prices). They just can't seem to put a decently powered engine in their flagship cars. Even the S2000 is underpowered for it's price.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    How's the S2000 underpowered for its price? It was designed to be a road racing car and not a drag car.

10. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    240 horsepower naturally aspirated from a street-friendly four banger? In a light car it'll move pretty good.

Ron3

11. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    well, if the HP ratings of your car have a direct correlation to your manhood, then I suppose the S2000 is underpowered;u

12. Toxie

Toxie

Apr 30, 2004
    240 HP is nice, but 160 Ft-lbs is just weak. Torque is where it's at guys! Cmon. When I buy a "sporty" car I want just that- a sporty car. I wouldn't be happy with that little power for 32 GRAND, I would rather have a WRX STI, EVO8 or Cobra stang. To each his own though.

I had a 1997 'lude and it was a fun car to drive- but WAY underpowered for it's price. Civic SI is the same way, and thats why they discontinued it. Honda dosen't currently sell a car I would buy, because they are too stingy on their performance for the price. There are a plethora of better performing vehicles in all of their price ranges.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    160-lbs/ft of torque out of a 2.2 inline four is weak? If you were to make a V8 by joining two of these engines together to make a 4.4-liter engine the torque would be up to 320-lbs/ft of torque. Does that sound weak to you?

Show me a non-aspirated engine with similar horsepower and torque output PER displacement volume.

I'd like to see how the Sti the Evo and the 30-years-old chassis Mustang Cobra on a race track against the S2000. Then we'll see who's weak and who's not. Car driving isn't about stoplight to stoplight. Real men drive hard and fast into corners.

14. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Jan 11, 2005
    in the garage
    I'm just going to start a new thread: S2000 vs '03-'04 Cobra.

15. Wolfgangamadeus

Wolfgangamadeus

Jul 9, 2002
    Amen. Real men love curves :)

16. Toxie

Toxie

Apr 30, 2004
    Yes, yes it is. A small amount of torque isn't a good thing. YOu must not have driven anything with more- because then you would realise how little that is.

[quite] If you were to make a V8 by joining two of these engines together to make a 4.4-liter engine the torque would be up to 320-lbs/ft of torque. Does that sound weak to you? [/quote]

Your logic is so flawed that it's not funny. You simply cannot dounle the power by adding the two togther. Don't be dense on purpose.

Thats the great thing- I don't have to. All I have to do is show you a car in a similar price range with more power. It's not my fault Honda dosen't use FI in their engines dispite it's obvious advantages. A smaller 2.0l Mitsubishi engine makes a whopping 110 Ft-Lbs more torque then the simply womanly 2.2 honda engine.

You do realise that those cars are all in the same class for SCCA Solo 2 (A stock)right? And hey moron- look at this- an EVO8 RS beat a S2000 for the win. Don't confuse what YOU know with the facts. Oh yeah, care to race that S2000 in the snow, or dirt? How about a straight line? You get SO much more car for the price with any of those other cars, and to add insult to injury its cheaper to mod a FI car too.

SCCA San Fran results

Hey, if you want to hide your complex in the corners, thats cool.I realise that a 32K sports car should be good at everything, not just one. Keep telling that to yourself "Real men only need to know how to know how to late apex" as I pass you on the expressway in your overpriced go-cart.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    Hey, Toxie,

You youngsters thinking that your boosted fourbangers got torque? I grew up hotrodding 1960s Mustang 302s. So don't even talk to me about torque.

And if you feel frisky, I'm in California, bring your iron and we'll see how it fares against my Z4.

Oh yeah, and according to your chart, the Evo also beat the Corvette. So Corvettes must be slower than the Evo, huh? Who's the moron now?

18. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Jan 11, 2005
    in the garage
    Ok, ok. I've got the answer. Next time I pull up to a Vette, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc, I'll just shoot out the tires then smoke him in my '90 Toyota pickup.

19. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Gearing makes up for torque in most cases. My Integra Type R had 120ft lbs to the wheels, but thanks to the short gearing it was a lot faster than the #s would have one believe.

20. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    On a race course (same good driver who's familiar with the track) the S2000 will run faster laps.

Nothing against the Cobra's, they are awesome cars, but it's about 800lbs heavier then the Honda and thats what will put it in 2nd place.

Ron3