close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Antique 1911 Enjoy!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by CMfromIL, Jul 12, 2010.

1. CMfromIL

CMfromIL

Jun 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I recently inherited my Great-Grandfathers WWI 1911. It's a Springfield Armory 1911, and according to the S/N was manufactured in 1915, in the second batch produced that year.

I know the MSH and the trigger have been updated, but the pistol has never left the family. I'm assuming my Great-Grandfather had it altered after the rounded MSH and triggers were introduced.

I have ZERO interest in changing anything on the firearm. I keep it clean, oiled and in a safe place. I had it checked over by a local gunsmith to make sure it was still in good shape. After getting a positive check I took it too the local range and fired off a few rounds. Other than 'hammer bite' it was a wonderful experience. Fires like it just came off the line, and dead on accurate!

I also got his leather riding holster, several magazines, his dress sword, and magazine pouches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CMfromIL

CMfromIL

Jun 29, 2010
    Illinois
    For some reason this is showing up at the bottom of the thread.

3. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Very Cool! I have a Colt from 1918 and I love it. Congrats!

deadite

4. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Very, very nice. That is one beautiful pistol, not to mention the additional goodies. Take good care of them.

5. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Nice! Gotta love family heirlooms. My grandfather died a few years ago and and my uncle snatched his oldschool Colt 1911. Sigh. I hope to get it someday.

6. Titurel

Titurel Brick Eater

Feb 12, 2006
    Germany
  7. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner

Feb 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Love the old pistols. Wish they could talk.

But be warned that you shouldn't shoot it very much. The steel is dead soft, and prone to lug deformation in the slide, as well as peening in the breechface area. Since there's no way to know howmuch the gun has been shot, it would be wise to limit it to a few rounds a year on your grandfather's birthday. Cracks on the inside corner, adjacent to the breechface are also a real risk.

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
  9. wiskeyVI

wiskeyVI

Jun 16, 2007
    USA
    I inherited a Colt a bit older than that when my Father in Law passed.
    It's amazing how well they shoot!
    Enjoy!

10. Navitimer

Navitimer

Apr 29, 2009
    Looks great! What a piece of history that is...imagine all it's seen throughout its life!

11. 98_1LE

98_1LE

Oct 17, 2005
  12. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Wow, great gun and story. I too would limit shooting severely.

13. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    Not a Prancing Pony but an actual US Armory mfg 1911! Springfield Armory as it used to be. Pretty rare, all things considered. 100 years later it'd be imported from Brazil under that name.

That is so sweet CMfromIL. Write down any and all known history of it, and your great grandpa (provenance). Maybe a photo of him back in the day? (w/ 1911 on him for extra brownie points)

Cherish it, insure it, learn all you can about it. I've read about SA's WWI 45 auto, I've just never seen one before. Too cool.

14. Nice pistol!

Just FYI, the grip safety appears to be from a 1911A1 model as well (longer tang).

Many of the older 1911s were retrofit with the 1911A1 parts (short trigger, arched MSH and longer-tang grip safety) by the military armorers.

15. deadite

deadite Groovy.

+1

My Colt has a few armorer updates/ repairs, as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I'm not mistaken, the barrel and one of the grip panels was replaced during WWII. When I got it, the hammer hooks were rusted off the original hammer and the thumb safety had similar damage, so I replaced them with period Colt parts from a demilled 1911 (from a Police Office) of the same vintage to make it functional again. I saved the original parts, though. :) All the little scars just show that it has a history.

Good job on keeping it just like it is.

deadite

16. Pipedreamer

Pipedreamer

Sep 17, 2008
    NC
    WOW!!!:wow: You lucky dog! I am sure you miss your great grandfather, but since he is no longer with us, it is obvious that he knew what joy that gun would bring into your life. Enjoy it and cherish your heirloom from a truly great generation.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  17. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Congrats. That's one hell of a first post.