close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Another take on Sheepdogs

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by deepstare, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I'm thinking more like "there are sheep, wolves, sheepdogs and sheep who think they are dogs...until a wolf shows up."

2. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    So now we have classes of sheepdogs? LOL

Calling a soldier or leo a sheepdog really marginalizes what they do for society. Didnt the Courts already say that Police do not have a constitutional duty to protect?

I think the whole concept is simply a way to describe someone who is able and willing to protect others from danger when they otherwise cant protect themselves. Protecting people from being preyed upon by active and armed predator. I dont think its supposed to be really all that deep.

Again, I am no sheepdog but I acknowledge that the personality exists. I just hope that if I ever do have to use a firearm in public to defend myself that a sheepdog doesnt mistake me for the badguy.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014

3. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

No dog of any sort here.

Simply a man.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

4. cornerexit

cornerexit

Dec 5, 2013
    You could take it a further few steps.

1. Civil suit. You go all sheepdog in a mass shooting and cause escalation or a missed shot wounds a bystander. Have fun in court ...will cost you thousands (tens)... Face/Name all over the news. Could cause bad juju with your job (fired) and make it hard to find another job, friends, family, everything.

2. Your best bet is to find cover or better yet, escape. Most tactical commando sheepdog Internet forum folks, are they in shape, exercise regularly? Train to hop fences, crawl through a window or other small space to escape? Can they even run a few city blocks before they drop dead? Being agile, maneuverable, quick, etc, is not something I ever see discussed. What I see more often than not at the range, gun show, etc, is some fatass running his mouth about this gun vs. that gun, or caliber wars, or a host of other crap and they couldn't hop a fence or run a block to escape danger. They got their big bad ass gun and they think they are going to be Seagal or something and return fire and be the hero on TV. If you aren't paid to carry a gun you need to get away and call the professionals.

5. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

1. If you cause a mass shooting to escalate, what does it escalate into?

2. A person with some basic skills and a good attitude doesn't necessarily have to be a NavySEALRangerDELTASpecialForcesCommando to make a difference depending on the opponent and the situation.

I'm an old fatass but I can hit small targets at reasonably long ranges reliably.

Regards,

6. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I agree that it would be hard to escalate a mass shooting into something worse.

I also agree with you that a person does not have to bee a spec-op ninja to successfully make a viable difference or win a confrontation.

The idea that a person is surely doomed to lose any confrontation if they dont run 5k every morning or bench 300lbs is intellectually dishonest. Fit people are generally more dangerous than the weak but not always.

I guarantee that out of all the violent conflicts that occur in the USA , a stark few of those involve physically fit battle hardened warriors.

7. WT

WT Millennium Member

Jan 12, 1999
    USA
    toastmaster - I agree with you. I think Grossman is a pansie.

I once heard him speak. Typical motivational speaker except he came onstage with police bodyguards. WTF? Is AQ after him?

Three years TDY at Hudson High. BFD!

No combat experience. No police experience.

He found a nice marketing niche that people are willing to spend big bucks on.

8. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

It's the elitism I find that's so contemptible. The only difference between Grossman and Lee Paige ("I am da only one in da room profesheno' enuff...") is that Grossman hasn't shot himself in the foot, as far as I know. He breeds the "us versus them" attitude in spades.

We have become the nation of cowards that Jeffrey Snider wrote of. Don't resist evil yourself. Let the "sheepdogs" do it for you. Well, that's horse****. It's not the "sheepdogs'" role to protect you. Their job is to protect the "shepherd's" investment. No matter what happens in this world, you cannot abdicate personal responsibility. You are on your own. There is no "sheepdog" to save you; or, as John Farnam says, "Nobody cares".

Yes, I hate the whole "Sheep, Wolves, Sheepdog" crap. It's just that, a fairy tale cops tell themselves, or pay Grossman to tell them, to justify their jobs. That's a BS story I am not buying.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  9. WT

WT Millennium Member

Jan 12, 1999
    USA
    "elitism"

Yes, I think that describes him. I got the distinct impression that he did not want civilians, other than police officers, carrying firearms to protect themselves.

10. LApm9

LApm9 Silver Member

Apr 3, 2006
    South Louisiana
    IMHO: Police and Military are not sheepdogs. They are the Ultimate Predators. They do not feed on sheep. They feed on other predators, thus removing the threat to the sheep.

I don't think of myself as a sheepdog. I am more of a ram with some very sharp concealed horns.

I don't know who the sheepdogs are, really.

11. thetoastmaster

I am happy that not all police feel that way. Thank you.

12. Steve83

Steve83 Bronco guru

According to SCOTUS & Memphis, the police are just the electric fence that the shepherd (the gubmint) uses to punish sheep who disobey (enforce law). They are NOT there to "protect" or "serve".

So it seems that we gun-toters aren't sheep, and we aren't legally or civilly permitted to be sheepdogs - we're just dogs.

So who protects the sheep if they choose not to become dogs? Should anyone volunteer to protect those who don't care enough to protect themselves, and don't want to pay for professional protection?

13. Southswede

Southswede

Sep 29, 2005
    I am grateful for the LEO's who call themselves sheepdogs. They serve a purpose. The sheepdogs free me, as a LEO, up to hunt the wolves that prey on society.......

A different take on the sheep/sheepdog mentality.

14. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sometimes people step up and its surprising who does and who doesn't. And I think the world of those guys that do. But strapping a gun on and declaring yourself a sheepdog is nonsense. You are no sheepdog until you have faced the wolf.

15. Sharkey

Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Lots of haters of the concept here. I also don't buy the - you aren't a sheepdog until you faced the wolf theory. Many will never face a wolf but that doesn't mean they aren't ready to do so. Likewise a cop or soldier doesn't make you a sheepdog. Many in those positions are cowards.
    I am not a fan of Grossman after reading his book but I think the analogy is pretty good to use for teaching.

16. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    I won't predict what I would definitely do in a particular scenario. I will say, that things like this case need to be considered. It looks like one of the most justified shootings in America, where the shooter saved the life of a police officer. He was not treated very well at all.

http://www.theshootist.net/2009/01/one-man-got-involved-perry_12.html

Be careful, "no good deed goes unpunished" is an axiom for a reason.

17. thetoastmaster

Sure, the department will cover the officer's defense, under qualified immunity. Mr. Stephens? He's screwed. Even if he wins, there are appeals and court fees to worry about.

It's just not worth it to try to save anyone but family. That's a hard fact of life.

18. cornerexit

cornerexit

Dec 5, 2013
    1. Guy walks through mall with AR, pops a few people. You go John Rambo and he sees a threat with a gun and starts mag dumping your direction which kills a bunch of folks. A DA could say you made it worse. Have fun in court.

Or how about a guy who has an AR who enters a public area and starts popping rounds off trying to scare everyone. You view it as a threat and return fire, miss, hit bystanders, he returns fire, killing folks. Civil suits will be just the tip of the iceberg.

Look there are a whole host of hypotheticals they are not in your favor.

2. Who said they needed to be SOCOM, Delta Force, etc? Did I say that? No I didn't. Perhaps go read my comments again before breaking out your jump to conclusions mat.

What I said is have some level of physical fitness should be just as valuable, or more valuable than being able to shoot 3" groups at a paper target at 25 yards.

And what did I mention? I said be able to escape through a window, run a few city blocks, hop a fence. I didn't realize being able to do these things was akin to being in our Military Special Forces or a tactical commando. :rofl:

If you can't run a couple of blocks and you are less than retirement age/elderly/on Medicare age perhaps a rethink of your health is in order.

I also didn't state you need to run 5k every morning or bench 300lbs. :supergrin:

19. Southswede

Southswede

Sep 29, 2005
    :upeyes:

20. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

"Hey Timmy, it's time to come up stairs. It's past your bedtime!"

You've been reading the "Warrior Talk" forum, haven't you?

Regards,

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014