close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Another "Occupy" movement...?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Snowman92D, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Interesting story.

Broad Ripple Village is a bohemian bar-scene section of Indianapolis where the libs and college age kids hang out. There's been a recent spike in violent crimes in that area, so a local pro-gun advocacy group is planning an "Occupy Broad Ripple" day. They intend to OC in groups of 2 or 3, and pass out info on handgun licensing from 11pm to 3am. This ought to be fun. The libs and their bliss-ninny friends are already alarmed.

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-occu...test-recent-attacks-20111117,0,4894786.column

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    Even though I'm not a big OC fan I think this may be a good idea assuming that the everything goes peacefully. I'm interested to see if there is any effect on the crime in the area.

3. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I believe his choice of title for the event is wrong. It is more along the theme of National Night Out when communities come out together to let bad guys know they aren't welcome, only this time the members of the community are those armed for self defense.

4. Nope. No potential for trouble here...:whistling:

5. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Dec 28, 2006
    Green Country
    I think I'll just "occupy" my house for a while.

6. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

Oct 4, 2009
    The Twilight Zone
    I just looked at the facebook page linked from the article and so far there are 93 people saying they will be there and another 28 who are maybe's.

I'm afraid this has fail written all over it. I like the organizers gun. It looked like an LCP with a clipdraw that he was wearing on the outside.

7. John Galt

John Galt Anti-Federalist

Sep 6, 2001
    Indy
    This.

8. Deye76

Deye76

Feb 25, 2011
  9. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    So libs and drunk kids at 3am. Think I just stay at home, hopefully nothing goes wrong and makes gun owners look bad.

10. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Nov 11, 2003
    Brevard County, FL
    Seems like every time OCers assemble for something it has obnoxious written all over it. No missing that here.

11. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Jun 14, 2005
    Ohio for now
    The libs and college students don't want to be protected. They have made their choice and they can just live or die by it. Heartless, maybe, but OC Group will accomplish nothing, but make things worse.

12. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Yep...VBC's. Victims By Choice.

I dunno about the advocacy group's choice of action. On one hand, I think they're shoveling against the tide trying to change the libs' mindset. But I suspect they're just tired of hyper-violent criminals and the leftist Eloi who empower them, and want to do something to get their viewpoint noticed. Maybe too they're just tired of watching marxists and George Soros-funded hippies pissing and crapping on our flag and our society at various places across the country.

In fairness, we have a greenway walking/bicycling path, that goes through Broad Ripple at one point, called the Monon Trail that's part of the local parks dept. A city ordinance formerly prohibited everyone from being armed while using the Monon Trail, and it was the scene of a number of really violent street robberies. A state law went into effect last summer pre-empting the city ordinance and making it legal for Trail users to now be armed. As far as I know, there hasn't been a robbery attempt on the Monon Trail since.

13. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    I hope these occupiers aren't treated like those in NYC, Oakland, or UC-Davis. I support the occupy movement and it is good to see people bringing guns with them to their occupation. Hopefully more occupiers will do the same.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I agree - neither the militant sound of "occupy" nor the association with "Occupy ____" scumbags will benefit the shooting community or gun owners. While I like making liberals scared and turning their own "occupy" BS against them, it is not good for gun rights. Even if I agree with the open carry demonstration (which I do find more acceptable in this context than the "lone nut with a video camera trying to start a confrontation" model), it needs a different title.

15. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    There is a person posting on their Facebook page who is part of the occupy group. She is illustrating why any association with the word "Occupy" is a bad idea.

It would be interesting to know from where all the bad guys preying on the good people in Broad Ripple are coming. Are they locally grown, close by neighborhoods?

Reading news reports the group linked to about the attacks, the person(s) making the attacks uses surprise and close quarters to minimize any response from the victims. There are quite a few defensive acts these women can take immediately to lower the chance of being surprised. I wonder if anyone will be passing out information about those immediate deterrents?

There's a big picture that needs addressing. If this group had developed a complete self defense package that would appeal to everyone, including those who choose not to carry firearms, with carrying for self defense an ultimate goal (it takes time to be licensed and to be comfortable carrying and using a firearm), it would achieve a broader base of support...

16. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Close by, Russ. Broad Ripple Village is bordered on the south by decaying inner city neighborhoods. Those same high-crime neighborhoods border the Monon Trail on either side for over half of its length, for that matter. So it's just a short walk for the thugs to get to a target-rich environment of VBC's, but of course the thugs are for the most part all motorized.

17. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Oct 23, 2009
    I missed any reference to open carry, in the article and video. :dunno:
    I realize he showed his gun, questionably (and apparently) hanging from his waist band, but did not see or hear about an open carry presence.

18. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    The OC component is mentioned by the news reporter in the video clip.

19. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Thanks, Snowman, that adds some context. So after attacking someone they can be in friendly territory within a few minutes.

I have not read in any of the articles about the upcoming Occupy event that they have talked to the PD about their plans. I am certain the PD has plans to be present. Wouldn't an effort like this benefit from interaction with and participation by LE?

20. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Oct 23, 2009
    Got it. "Guns in plain view." I guess I was focusing on "open carry". :embarassed: