Another Music Bit Rate Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bobby_w, Nov 7, 2004.

1. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena
    Platinum Member

I just ordered the new Creative Labs Zen Micro MP3 player. I do a lot of world travel and want to take some music with me. Mid-East radio is terrible.

[​IMG]

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10795

What bit rate should I be ripping my CD collection at for this device? I never listen to MP3's on my PC as I have a 300 CD Pioneer player for my home stereo. I want to rip just for the Zen Micro MP3 player only.

I have about a terra byte of storage with my home PC's and servers so space is not a problem. I've been an IT nerd for 20 years, just not a music ripping nerd.

I have Nero 5.5 and 6.6 to use as the ripper.

Thanks

2. Halo

Millennium Member

For your purposes on a portable player, somewhere between 128-192kbps should be fine.

3. I generally rip at 160 or 192. I only plan on ripping a cd once and I keep a backup on my server, so I might as well make it a good copy. It does take up a bit more space.

In your situation, I would rip once at the higher and resample at a lower bit rate to fit more music on the player since you are going to be out of contact with your computer possibly.

Just an idea.

John

4. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

I'd recomend 64 or 96 bit rate WMA rather than MP3

96kbps WMA sounds really quite good for the file size