close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

another genius blows his glock up with reloads

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Shasta McNasty, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

I can't blame the guy at all. He bought a gun, he bought ammo from a company you have to expect it to be done properly.

2. scattershot

scattershot

No bulge in the barrel, though. Wonder if he found enough of it to tell.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

If you're not shooting YOUR OWN reloads, I'd actually have to call you "not a shooter". Why do I say that? Because if you're shooting a BUNCH, unless you're Bill Gates or Larry Ellison, you couldn't afford the bill.

I shoot 1500 rounds a month, on average. I can reload 1000 for roughly $130, so it cost me around $200, just for ammo. That's not including gas costs and competition entry fees. Reloaded close to 40,000 rounds in the last couple of years, not one ammo issue. No squibs, no double-charges.

To buy WWB 9mm from Walmart at $24.xx per 100? An easy $360 per month. Not quite double the cost, but dang close.

Most of the guys I shoot with? None of them buy factory. There are 4 of us who do these matches... all reload. 80% or more of the GOOD shooters at these matches, reload.

Yeah, keep spewing the "don't shoot reloads" line. Those of us who SHOOT, know better.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  4. J_P

J_P

Man, im glad the guy is ok it could have been worse for him. I would shot reloads only if i was reloading them and IMO i would never buy reloads from a gun show or gun shop ever Period.

5. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

I believe, after reading the thread, that your title is quite unfair. The guy had a catastrophic failure using ammo that he purchased at a range. Based on the pictures, I would say that the round was severely overcharged. The shooter did not load them and if I read his comments correctly, he didn't know they were reloads.

It is VERY common for shooting ranges to sell reloaded ammo. I would bet that 90% of folks don't even know that they are reloads. I mean heck, they come in nice pretty new boxes.

6. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

he is stooting a g23 and 40 cal are more prown to kb's with reloads

7. R*E

R*E

Well, I guess that's why Glock doesn't recommend reloads.

8. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

He bought someone else's reloads. I would NEVER buy someone elses reloads. Why?
    1. You probably won't save much per box of 50. Is a dollar a box worth blowing yourself up?
    2. Factory ammo is probably produced on a robot controlled assembly line, or at least a human supervised robotic assembly line.
    3. The dude in the back of the store reloading your ammo probably has his 8-track cranking out Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird" full volume, smoking a cigarette, a beer in one hand and the handle to his Dillon 550B in the other. His boss may have just gotten on his case for coming in to work late, etc. so he figures he'll load a few rounds hot just to spice things up.

I know item "3" is a little out there, but you get the picture. If you're gonna shoot reloaded ammo, make sure its ammo the YOU reloaded.

9. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

everything you buy is someone else's reloads, be it Fiocchi or Federal, or local guy. Just because you obviously have this idea that anybody working on anything is incompetent if they're not a robot or working for a major company doesn't change that. I take it you wouldn't buy a custom gun unless it came from Colt huh? Those damn hacks that started companies like wilson combat and ed brown could never make a gun work right while they were trying to hold their beer.

10. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

I think its BS on the part of the gun range. Looking at the pic he posted, nowhere on there does it say that the ammo is "reloaded" or "remanufactured". All it says is that they take reasonable care when manufacturing the ammo. Heck, if someone says they "manufacture" ammo, most people would take that to mean that they are using new components, not used. Used ammo manufacturers usually say they "re-manufacture" ammo. What a bunch of horse hockey. Guess I'll stick to Winchester White Box or my OWN reloads.
    [​IMG]

11. Shasta McNasty

Shasta McNasty

ammo in a clear baggie should have been his first clue :wow:

12. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

• "Reloaded" implies that it was previously loaded, therefore the cases have been used before. Fiocchi, Federal, etc use NEW components.

• Handloads are what you are talking about. Yes, most calibers started out as handloads and were later mass produced and sold to the public.

• I was making a joke about the guy in the back. :panties:

• No, I wouldn't buy a custom Wilson Combat or Ed Brown.... can't afford one. :dunno:
    Man, that Lynyrd Skynyrd beer in the hand thing really hit a nerve with you. Do I hear a little "Sweet Home Alabama" in the background.

RELAX! I'M ONLY JOKING!

13. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

:crying:must have been a gen 4 guys. 2005 they made gen 4 right? :supergrin::supergrin::tongueout::upeyes:

14. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

I don't think his title is unfair at all. He didn't say that they were his own reloads. He said the guy blew his Glock up with reloads and that this made him a genius. Frankly, I've seen reloads at the range and if you can't tell them from factory ammo, you are either a newb or not paying attention.

15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

This looks like a TRIPLE charge overload.

16. mike g35

mike g35

I am the other 20% Ron referred to and my ammo cost is out of this world. We're talking 5-600 hundred a month. I am on my way to getting started in reloading and I wish I would have listened to experienced shooters like this one a long time ago. If you only shoot 150-200 rouns a month then OK shoot whatever but when you get up around 400 to 600 a week reloading is the only thing that makes sense.

17. FyreCalG17

FyreCalG17 Gen4 Fondler

Why? The guy in the back reloading the ammo probably buys his weed in a clear plastic baggie. :rofl:

18. jfrey

jfrey

I've shot thousands of reloads but every one of them was made by ME. I don't trust other folks to be as particular as I am.

19. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

nope, never liked skynard. I listen to both kinds of music, country and western.

You maybe joking but you're also making your nonsense out to be fact to those who may not know better. I promise you there's a guy out there in a back room that loads ammo much more consistently than federal. Bench rest shooters never use factory stuff either, why, because it's all a tolerance that they allow it to get too. Robots will never be as good as men

EDIT: Of course some people are happy with good enough and par for the course. That's why the Army uses their factory remington sniper rifles and the Marine Corps builds their own.

I'm just as inclined to believe it's the gun and not that ammo that was a problem