close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Another CMP Garand!!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by fnfalman, Jul 16, 2012.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Field Grade Springfield Armory, baby!!!

Just got a call from the house. Photos later when I get home.

Get some!!!

2. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    The CMP Garands are like a virus. Started with one, now have a safe full of Winchesters.

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    Enjoy. I picked up a few. Also jumped on the carbines when they had them.

IT Career and the only IBM I own is a M1 Carbine. :cool:

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    The Service Grade I received a couple weeks ago.:)
    It's the second Service Grade I have. I'm thinking about getting another one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    The Winchesters as I understand are quite beat up, and I wanted a Springfield as well. My other one is H&R.

6. I got one on order still dont have the we have shipped/filled the order stuff yet but did get the thing where they said they got my order. Its for a SG HRA. Unfortunately it will be my one and only so im crossing fingers for a good example :) . I specifically ordered the HRA though cause I was told of all the ones coming out that they have been among the best looking and have some of the best barrels. Also ordered 600 rounds of ammo to get started :) .

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    My H&R Service Grade came with a new wooden stock. I wanted a full GI rifle, so that's why I ordered this one as well.

8. Yup, Ive seen that and thats good with me as long as it is a nice looking one that fits right and isnt birch lol...To be honest I debated asking for one with a "original" stock and I just came to the conclusion that since im really not a "collector" im just getting it because I like history and always wanted to own a M1..and I also wanted to be able to SHOOT it without worrying about harming(lowering) its value that i figured if its got the newer stock im good with that as long as its got a decent barrel(which I also stickied for) my sticky said something along the lines of

Id prefer if possible a great barrel and also if possible a USGI Stock but im more concerned about the barrel being good/great.

I had read that some guys were getting the Springfields and requesting a WWII build date...And then they posted a few of them and I had even seen a few people that got a WWII build date but were kinda bummed about the overall looks of the gun(SG's Springfields) when they got them...

And then I asked myself would I rather have a WWII build date that looks...well to be semi rough...or a 1954 build date with a nice stock and a good barrel..and came to the conclusion id just as soon have the nicer looking one.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  10. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    It's really luck of the draw. No reason why the Winchesters would be in any worse shape than the Springfields. I have picked up a few Service Grade Springfields from the CMP over the years, and many of the Field/Rack Grade Winchesters I have received are in far better condition. Sometimes they're out of Rack/Field Grade Winnie's and you end up with a Service Grade instead. Just luck. Whatever comes off the rack first.

Here's a small example. All the M1s are Winchesters except for 1 Rock-Ola carbine. The black wood stock is a Danish return. The one below it with the reddish stock is Greek.

[​IMG]

11. Stop showing me those. I'll be at Camp Perry later this week. I want one bad enough already.

12. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I never caught on to the Garand thing, but I really need to...those are sweet rifles.

13. If those be yours, you are too cool for words :)

I'd like one. Or a Sprinfield bolt. Just haven't ever move them up high enough on the priority level. So it continually something I want but never get :)

14. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    Any photos yet? I was looking into a CMP Garand. What kind of weapon are they shipping these days?

15. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

As much of a gun nut as you are, Berto.......you should have at least one Garand. I probably won't ever get another one, but I did get a service grade about 15 years ago......it's a re-conditioned 1942 Springfield with original barrel. Oh, the history of our fathers is a great legacy, and stories this one could tell of heroism and patriotism!.......:supergrin:

ooc

[​IMG]

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    I rushed home from work so that I can ogle my new baby. Alas, the sun was already setting so the photos are rather crappy.

This Springfield has dark wood stock so it might be a Danish return. The package is quite appealing. The last time the H&R came in a cardboard box and certificate. This time it comes in a CMP-granded plastic foam box, paperwork to include chamber flag, certificate, a blank target, flyers AND an operator's manual. Nice touch indeed.

There were some minor rust spots on the rear of the receiver but looks like only surface rust. The finish is worn a bit around the muzzle. Wood stock is dinged all over the places but no big dings and no cracks - exactly what I wanted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    HRA bolt - not too surprising since that most if not all of these guns had been refurbished at least once.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    I'd only hope that this one shoots as well as the Service Grade H&R that I already have.

20. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I'd really like one, but god knows I don't need another caliber to stock :faint: