close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Another Bersa thread

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by skud_dusty, Jan 26, 2012.

1. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    I've been on the quest for a perfect CCW pistol for years now. I've got from Glocks to Sigs to 1911s and everything in between. There are a small handful of manufacturers that I haven't actually owned, and most I've tried in gun shops. I finally settled on an Officer's sized 1911 for my current carry gun, but couldn't get over how heavy it is. As a few of you know my buying/selling/trading has gotten completely out of hand trying to find "the one" only to be continually wasting time and money.

Yesterday I set out to see what I could find. I had some money in my pocket, a full tank of gas, and an understanding girlfriend that didn't mind tagging along on a 100+ mile road trip to visit 6 of my favorite gun shops. After spending most of the day playing with guns I haven't tried before and being severely disappointed, I was at the point where I thought I should just buy another Glock and make myself like it.

When we pulled into the last gun shop I saw a pistol I had heard about more than 2 years ago but had never seen.

[​IMG]

Bersa is best know for their Walther PPK clones but they also produce a model called the Thunder which is somewhat similar to the Walther P88. This pistol is a new venture for them and as far as I'm aware is their first real stand-alone design.

[​IMG]

The feel is very Kahr-like. The pistol itself is very slim, although a bit top heavy. In the hand it feels like a smoothed over Kahr with no sharp edges and a rubbery grip. The trigger is kind of odd, there is quite a bit of take-up with some roughness as the internal safeties are disengaged. It has a fairly light but obvious breaking point that, after a few dry fires, feels easily staged. The reset is what amazed me most about this pistol, it is VERY short and audible. I would almost go so far as to say it's better than a Glock's reset. Quick shooting should be extremely easy with this pistol.

As far as size, the pistol is quite small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In hand it feels larger than it actually is. While being extremely thin, it's large enough to get a good solid thumbs-forward grip. It's hard to describe; this pistol feels like it was made for my hands. All the bumps and grooves fit right where my fingers go with my normal grip, something I haven't found before on any pistol.

Speaking of thin, this thing makes a compact 1911 look like a Glock 21.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as accessories go, holsters are few and far between at the moment. I've read that Kahr CW9 holsters will fit but haven't tested this theory out myself yet. Further reading has also shown me that Bersa uses a Sig front sight and a Glock rear sight, so night sights will be easy to come by. I'm not sure why the company decided to go that route, but it's what I'm told.

I still have a lot of evaluating to do myself, but it sounds like the pistol will be a very solid performer. In hand it feels like a Kahr with a Glock trigger. If it shoots as well as it feels I'm sold.

2. JimIsland

JimIsland

Aug 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    I like it. I have had a Bersa 380 Thunder for nearly 15 years and it has been trouble free and seems well built. Although it's not the smallest 380 out there, the ergonomics are great. Please keep us posted if you decide to purchase it as I would be very interested in one as well.

3. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    I did end up purchasing it for $400 out the door. It seems like they are a little cheaper in other states, but we don't have sales tax here. Just need to buy some ammo and get some range time in and we'll see how it goes.

4. The Habit

The Habit كافر

Feb 18, 2005
    Virginia
    I'm really interested in the BP9CC. I've yet to see one in a LGS so I haven't had a chance to finger molest one yet. I'm keen to read about extended owner experiences.

5. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    Well I had some mixed success at the range today. I didn't clean the gun prior to shooting as upon field stripping there appeared to be a normal amount of oil inside the pistol with no left over bits from machining that I could see. I took 200 rounds with me laid out as follows: 50 147gr Winchester Silvertip JHP, 50 115gr Magtech FMJ, 50 115gr American Eagle FMJ, and 50 115gr Remington UMC JHP. I began with the American Eagle which fed fired and extracted all 50 cartridges. Towards the end of the box I had one magazine start failing to lock back. It happened 2 or 3 times then completely went away for the remainder of the day. The same magazine caused the failure and I could not get the problem to come back with any other ammo. I'm guessing it might have been part of break-in or I just wasn't seating the mag fully.

The second box, which was Remington JHP, went fine with no major complaints. Brass was being ejected towards my 4 o'clock maybe 3 yards away. It wasn't flinging brass, but left them in a nice neat spot on the ground. When I got into the third box, just after the 100 round mark I started getting failure to ejects. I scraped a little bit of buildup out from under the extractor with my knife and things started going smooth again. All in all I had maybe 10 failure to extracts from the second 100 rounds I put through it. Some ejection seemed weak, with the cases sitting neatly on top of the magazine when the slide locked back. Going through and cleaning the gun I found nothing out of the ordinary and by round 175 things seemed to have cleaned up a bit with the failures being more spread apart. When they started happening they were one right after another.

I don't trust the gun for carry yet. I'm hoping it just needs a bit of a break-in period as many other guns of this size do. If it continues through the next 200 rounds I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see what they suggest. The extractor looks like it's getting a good bite on the rim of the rounds I manually fed it and there seems to be plenty of tension so I'm not quite sure what to think of it.

I did find a holster at the gunshop I bought ammo from. Tagua Gunleather makes an IWB holster for the LC9 which fit this little Bersa like it was made for it.

6. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Thanks for the report. Another GT member has a positive BP9CC report and I do believe I'll be picking one of these new mico Bersas up before long.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    From what I've seen I'm the only one so far that's had issues. People on Bersachat.com think the problem might be the fact that I didn't do a thorough cleaning before my first outing. The company has a history of using a packing grease that isn't very conducive to reliability.

8. The Habit

The Habit كافر

Feb 18, 2005
    Virginia
    Just found out one of my LGS has the two tone BP9CC for $375. That price sound about right? I'm hoping to check it out on Monday.

9. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    From what I read they starting selling at $350 but because they have been very hard to come by $400 out the door isn't out of line.

10. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    Tennessee
    You definitely need to clean and oil the gun before shooting. I just bought a BP9cc today at a gunshow. The pistol is full of some type of preservative, but it isn't really a gun oil. It isn't that slick at all.

11. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    Tennessee

Here it is.

[​IMG]

Basically the same size as the CW9. The CW9 is just alittle bit shorter in the slide and a hair shorter in grip length.

[​IMG]

12. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Dec 26, 2011
    Very cool gun. I would have no problems with buying a Bersa.

13. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Oct 3, 2000
    McGaheysville, VA
    I have a thunder 45 and it's great. Haven't shot it much but has never jammed. It's my truck gun.

14. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    I really hope my FTE problems go away as I really like this pistol. It's already made me want to buy slim grips for my 1911! I'm sure if I continue to have problems the manufacturer will take care of me.

15. USDefender

USDefender Lay Them Waste!

Jul 8, 2005

One thing I know is, having owned and really liked examples of both those company's offerings, for what you'll end up spending for each you'll get more gun buying the new Bersa than you will a Kahr CW.

@ Skud: Btw, how does the Bersa break down for field-stripping? Is it difficult or not? One thing I absolutely didn't like about the Kahr when I owned it was the difficulty I had field-stripping it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  16. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

Jun 26, 2007
    It's super simple. Make sure the pistol is unloaded, reinsert the mag (magazine disconnect) and dry fire. Remove magazine, line up hash marks on slide/frame and pull the slide stop out.

17. Gokyo

Gokyo

Apr 24, 2005
    Washington
    What does the Bersa do that a Kahr doesn't do?

Why not just get a Kahr CW9. At least then you have lots of holsters to choose from and it is made in the USA.