close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another 3rd vs. 4th gen question.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cfr, Apr 16, 2012.

1. cfr

cfr

Greetings.

My disclaimer:

I hate asking questions that have already been asked. I recently asked a question in another thread that went unanswered, and also thought up another question. That said, I've decided to just start another thread, instead of highjacking some else's question.

With that out of the way: I'm considering a new 19 in about a month, but contemplating gen 3 or 4. For me, the reduced grip size is nice, but being a lefty the ambi mag release is really nice. I know others manage with their middle finger, but I really like using my thumb on my Gen 4 G22. A gen 3 is not out of the question, but wouldn't be my first pick.

1. Ive seen lots of posts about Gen 4's having issues, and some about late model gen 3's as well. I've also seen that Glock has made some big modifications to make the Gen 4's work, but haven't seen the same for the Gen 3's. That said, has anything been done to fix the later model Gen 3's?
    2. Is the recoil on the Gen 4 19 really reduced with the new RSA? Really tough Google this topic without running into link after link about the recall, issues people have had, etc. Has anyone compared a 3rd to 4th gen 19 and determined if the new problematic RSA even accomplished it's intended goal of reducing recoil?
    3. Are there any confirmed cases of 4th gen issues that have all of the updated parts?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

No. I hope eventually they'll start using the new ejectors in Gen3's. And I hope they go back to their old better quality extractors, but I don't see either happening any time soon. If you have a Gen3 that has the ejection problem, you can order one of the newest Gen4 trigger housings that has the new ejector in it, and put that ejector into your Gen3 trigger housing to use in your Gen3 gun. So far only MidwayUSA.com and glockparts.com have been confirmed to sell the Gen4 9mm trigger housing with the new 30274 ejector, the rest of the retailers presumably have the old version with the old 336 ejector. And only glockparts.com has yet been confirmed to sell the Gen4 .40 trigger housing with the new 28926 ejector, the rest presumably have the old version with the old 1882 ejector.

3. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

The only thing that can be done to a Gen 3 aside from replacing the same parts that came with it is installing a the new ejector.

I don't feel a difference in recoil between the Gen 3 and 4...it's probably negligible at best.

Just get the Gen 4...you will be glad you did. Just as an FYI, you don't need to field strip the weapon to determine if it has the updated RSA and ejector. Just rack it back and look.

I have 2x19 Gen 4's and 1x19 Gen 3 and all are problem free with WWB/Federal Champion.

4. cfr

cfr

Thanks for the responses so far. Have added another question up top.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Erratic ejection has been reported in Gen4's with the new ejector, usually once the extractor is replaced the gun begins ejecting normally. With some new Gen4's that have the new ejector, they'll eject erratically for the first few hundred rounds, then they'll begin to eject normally. It's almost like a break in period.

6. cfr

cfr

Do they ever ship with the correct extractor from the start?

7. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Yes, all of my 4's came with the updated RSA's and ejectors. That's why I said you could rack the slide back and look before you bought it. I do not have a picture of the ejector handy, but am sure it will be posted. It's really easy to tell them apart.

8. cfr

cfr

Note that my question was about the extractor, not ejector, based on this comment from voyager:

Erratic ejection has been reported in Gen4's with the new ejector, usually once the extractor is replaced the gun begins ejecting normally....

9. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Here's a post by Butch showing the new ejector and old ejector:
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18458604&postcount=5

Gen4's with a test-fire date after 10/10/2011 will have the new ejector already installed, I've only heard of one instance where a Gen4 after that test-fire date had the old ejector and it must've been a fluke.

With the extractors, it seems you either get a good one or you don't, and it's just a matter of replacing it with a new LCI extractor for your caliber. There is no updated "good" extractor.

10. cfr

cfr

Got it, thanks!

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

I'm ambidextrous. It makes absolutely no difference to me if I operate a 3rd generation magazine release with either my right thumb, or my left index finger.

Of late, all the really serious (Glock) gunmen I know are using 3rd generation pistols. I am, too. In my opinion the issues you are concerned about are, all, overblown internet brouhahas. There's nothing inherently wrong with a 336 ejector on a 3rd. gen. pistol. It's the extractor that's really the problem. If you know how to repair one of Glock's crappy new extractors, (Yes, they ARE redeemable!) then you're not going to have problems with the ejector. It's that simple!

To specifically answer each of your questions: (1) It's not necessary to fix what's not broken. (2) I don't know. I have yet to shoot a Gen4; but, from what I've been reading, the recoil is, 'different'. So far nobody I know has said it is less. 'Choppy', maybe, but not less. Why is this an issue? 9mm ain't no big kicker, anyway. (3) Yes, plenty of them. Read the board.

12. cfr

cfr

Fair question. Not an issue really. I have a Gen 4 22 currently, that Im thinking of swapping out. I don't consider it a big kicker either.

However, If I'm going to potentially switch from my Gen 4 22 to a Gen 3 19, Id like to know that the recoil will be lessened.... sort of like getting the most bang for my buck.

13. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Here's my recently purchased (10/01/10) 3rd generation Glock Model 19(RTF2). It has a highly polished #2 (dip) extractor in it and, presently, has about 3,000 completely trouble-free rounds through it, as well.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5636/g191.jpg
    http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6407/glockmodel19rtf27edited.jpg
    http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/2270/glockmodel19rtf23.jpg

It's got a 336 ejector, a rounded Lightning Strike FP safety, (Which I don't really like; my own reworked safeties are a little smoother.) a muzzle-ported Bar-Sto Precision barrel, and a non-captured coated-steel Wolff guide rod and 18# spring. I was serious when I told you that 3rd generation Model 19 pistols are completely salvageable WITHOUT having to use a #30274 ejector. You can read all about it in Dave Nowlin's long and highly detailed thread.

HERE!

14. cfr

cfr

15. cfr

cfr

I was just rereading all of this.

I think Ive ruled out a 4th gen.

As for the 3rd gens, if I'm not mistaken, there is no correct part number to look for?

I just need to buy it and hope for the best, right?

If that doesn't work the supplied link for either tweaking the extractor or getting a new one is working for some, while getting a new trigger housing with the 30274 ejector is working for others?

16. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

No.

Yes.

What worked for me with my Gen3 G27 was to install one of the new ejectors into the Gen3 trigger housing that was inside the gun, along with changing the extractor. If you get one of the new ejectors, it'll be inside of a Gen4 trigger housing. You'll need to take the ejector out of that housing, take the Gen3 housing out of your Gen3 gun and put the new ejector into the Gen3 housing so you can use it in your Gen3 gun.

The extractor I used happened to be an old investment cast extractor made by Glock. They're not made anymore, I got lucky and found one in a local gun store. You could swap the extractor out for another 9mm LCI extractor, or you could try a LWD-brand 9mm LCI extractor.

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

I'm not a certified armorer; so I don't have the factory manuals; and I can't help you with numbers; but, I do know that Glock pistols have factory identification numbers. Neither do I know how Glock engineers think? Here, I can only offer you my personal opinion. With regard to 3rd generation Glocks: (The generation that most of the police agencies continue to purchase.) If you get the extractor issue straightened out, you really shouldn't need to fool around with the ejector. If you don't fix the extractor problem, first, then I'm sure you're going to need the 30274 ejector.

18. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

my advice which has worked out to cure all of my problems , except for one of course which is at glock right now is to look on Gunbroker, look for Glocks with serial numbers before the P series.

so far out of 4 pistols , only 1, a gen 3 17 M letter serial had a problem with erratic ejection.

ive got a fifth glock 19, coming in , another M serial which i pray to god will be ok.

the older the better i say, L series and previous are when glock did not MIM their extractors,

19. cfr

cfr

Are the 3rd Gen issues mostly with the 19's, or are the 26's having issues as well?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  20. cfr

cfr

I was wondering about this, thanks! I was hoping to buy brand new (if at all), but simply can't bring myself to buy something I know may very well need to be fixed.