close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Animal fodder as human food.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Unistat, Jun 28, 2011.

1. My cousin noticed that the animal feed grains at Tractor Supply cost a fraction of what a comparable amount would be if it was labeled for human consumption.

Is this fodder safe, or can it be made safe for people to eat?

I know that the feed corn is not sweet corn, but you can make corn meal from it. Do you need to process the wheat and oats differently as well?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

Jan 6, 2009
    Read the label to make certain it has not been treated with sub-therapeutic concentrations of antibiotics or other types of supplements that may be harmful to humans.

3. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Often (but not always) animal feed isn't cleaned as well as grain meant for human consumption. More dust, dirt & even pebbles, more pesticides, and possibly more natural contaminants like fungi & their byproducts. First thing to look at imo is the bag label & make sure it's listed as having no more than 20ppb aflatoxin; the upper limit typically allowed for human consumption. With good cleaning & inspection, I've got no problem with eating "animal" grains - dividing grain into 'animal food' and 'people food' is a very new phenomenon in human history; just within the last few decades really.

Side note, Newman's Own dog treats are VERY good, and the list of ingredients will stun you - probably the healthiest thing in the house. My wife quit buying them for me after I refused to quit eating them simply because her friends were sometimes around. :rant:

4. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh man... the look on their faces must be priceless!

5. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Can't help their ignorance or food-snobbery... :supergrin:

Fwiw, the ingredients list of the chicken snacks (my favorite):
    All kidding aside, really may be about the healthiest thing in the pantry. :dunno:

6. By cleaning, do mean the tossing and blowing away of dross and stuff (I think it's called winnowing) or some other process?

7. R_W

R_W

Nov 8, 2007
    I swear horse feed corn is cleaner than what goes in corn flakes. Talk about feed snobs.

8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    So she trained you to sit, stay, and even speak, but you couldn't be trained to not eat until commanded. :rofl:

A relative dared another relative to eat a worm at the family reunion. He ate the worm. My aunt was mortified. This guys wife would not kiss him after that. They wanted to dare me, but I side stepped it by eating smores.

9. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Winnowing in front of a simple box fan & even simple water-rinsing before use if need be. I wouldn't rinse it before storage; moisture in storage is a very bad thing. But a quick (and non-saturating) screen- or colander-rinse before use, then let dry before grinding; unless there's some microbial or chemical contamination, it should be better-cleaned than what our parents grew up on back in the 20's & 30's.

On the topic of chemical contamination, be sure you don't buy seed wheat (or other seed grains) unless the only other option is to not eat anything at all. "Feed wheat" ok, "seed wheat" not ok. Seed wheat is usually treated with pesticides to protect it from bugs, sometimes heavily. Feed wheat is intended to be eaten 'as is', just not necessarily by humans, and so doesn't have the insecticide treatment.

Mainly, she's trained me that even though I'm technically in charge and always have ultimate veto power, there's just no profit in angering or embarrassing her unnecessarily. Our 25th anniversary coming up in a matter of days, and that's one lesson that I picked up on after only only ten or twelve years.

10. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

Nov 7, 1999
    Free Republic of Tejas
    Hmmm...

I may have to look into 'Newmans Own'. I know all their people products are both healthy and tasty.

My son, when a little kid, used to steal the milk bones from our dog. He claimed they tasted great. I ate one just to see and although it was a bit bland, had no ill effects from it, other than a desire to chase cars and scratch. :supergrin:

Ron in Texas

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I feel for you. All the women in my life have decided that I am un-trainable.

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

That sounds healthier than anything I ate lately!

13. In the previews of the upcoming episode of Dual Survival, they find a can of dog food. It looks like ALPO is on the menu.

14. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    They are supposedly doing it in Maine... not really survival in this state, pretty normal.

15. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Jan 29, 2001
    In Existential Crisis
    That's what I plan on eating when I retire...

16. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Bernie Madoff investor?

17. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Jan 29, 2001
    In Existential Crisis
    .gov employee. I'm concerned with all the talk about our pensions being cut by 10+ percent...

Actually I'm putting money into a Roth IRA and some additional investments, and putting about 17+% of my income into TSP (kind of like a 401K or 403b for the .gov).

18. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Yea, I'm familiar I worked there twice now... maybe 3 times if my current job ends.

19. DISPENSER 4 HIRE

DISPENSER 4 HIRE Millennium Member

Aug 12, 1999
    Dog's Breath, Texas
    Seriously, don't use animal feed unless you are eyeing the neighbors and your mouth is watering. Google "aflotoxins". Food for humans is tested for aflotoxins, food for animals not so much.

20. wiskeyVI

wiskeyVI

Jun 16, 2007
    USA
    Purina Monkey Chow is supposed to be pretty darn healthy.