close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ange report: 9mm Wolf ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by CitizenOfDreams, May 19, 2009.

1. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

I have heard all kinds of horror stories about Wolf ammunition made by my former compatriots in Russia. Yesterday I received a long awaited shipment from Cabela's, so I went to the range and tried a couple of boxes...

Horror story #1: "it's dirty". False. In fact, it was the cleanest ammo I ever shot in my Glock 26 (including Federal American Eagle, PMC Bronze, Remington UMC, Georgia Arms and Precision Delta). The receiver only needed a slight wipe with a Q-tip. The barrel had none of the lead deposits I usually see there. The slide had none of the typical copper flakes from the bullet jackets.

Horror story #2: "it stinks". Again, I did not find that to be true. In fact, the only smells at the range that day came from Eley .22LR cartridges and from my own armpits.

Horror story #3: "it does not feed or eject reliably". So far, false: out of 100 rounds, 0 failures to feed, 0 failures to eject. I still have 900 rounds left, so I will post another report after it's all gone.

Horror story #4: "steel cases are hard on extractor". Impossible to tell after only 100 rounds, but so far I did not notice any abnormal wear on the extractor or any other parts.

Horror story #5: "hard primers". Unfortunately, that one came out to be true: I encountered 1 failure to fire. The primer got a perfect dent, but did not go boom (the round fired successfully on the 2nd attempt).

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Jeff82

Jeff82
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    CLM

<tag>

3. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

Shoot 1,000 rounds with it then review all of what you said, 100 rounds is nothing. I shot 1,000 rounds of it through an Old G19 last year and it was fine, especially for the price. What I did not like was through my G19 the wolf ammo did not give me tight groups shooting, I even loaded a mag with Wolff and a mag with PMC Bronze one day side by side and the PMC is way more accurate ammo. Aside from that though, it was fine. I had no other complaints. Maybe I just got a bad batch or something.

4. djegators

djegators
    Expand Collapse

I am no expert, but I still will not shoot Wolf in anything but my AKs. I fear that the hardness of the case will over time shorten the life span of the weapon, mainly due to the cartridge expansion that takes place when fired. In brass cases, they expand, and then contract, but steel cases do not contract. Combine the lack of contraction, and the hardness of the steel, I choose not to shoot it. I could be wrong on this, but I feel better factory loaded brass in my GLOCKS.

5. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

I did not know that brass contracts.

6. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, my shooting skills do not allow me to make a qualified comparison. I shot better groups than usual today, but I cannot tell if it was the ammo, a better grip (I'm still working on it), a better trigger control, a different target (black bullseye instead of my usual red), my practice with a .22 pistol, or just weather (it's raining cats, dogs and alligators here in Florida).

7. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

Yeah don't get me started on the rain! :rofl:

8. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

In fact, steel would have much better chances to contract back after removal of the pressure than a soft metal like brass.

9. cdemarse

cdemarse
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I have shot a metric **** ton of Wolf through my AR's and Glocks. I am still waiting to replace the parts Wolf ammo is "supposed" to break.......I guess I will just keep shooting it.

10. triehl27

triehl27
    Expand Collapse

There are two different wolf ammos. There is the OLD wolf in the GREEN laquer cases, and the New in the grey cases.

The Green:
    Stank, was dirty, and when the chamber got hot would melt the laquer and could cause it to stick in the chamber. Inaccurate as hell. 122grn projectiles weighted any where from 88grns, to 145gns, from the same box. I have experienced all of these issues. Even in a cool chamber the geen cases would stick if it was a tight fit (Match Grade)

The Grey:
    Doesn't smell, is ok for clean. And I have never had an issue with a hot chamber. Projectiles are within spec. And I have fired problly 20K in 7.62X39, .223, 9mm, 40S&W, and .45acp. Used to buy it buy the case.

Only complaint: Not match accurate, (Not Horrible) But I have had better.

It is the OLD GREEN cases that everyone hated and that stigmata has hung on to the new stuff.

11. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Only Wolf I have ever used is the non-laquer stuff. Never had a problem thus far.

:wavey:

12. skyugo

skyugo
    Expand Collapse

i don't own any guns that won't digest wolf.

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

Looks like I got the "new" Wolf in grey cases (reportedly coated with plastic instead of laquer). The "old" Wolf ammo probably has been shot long ago... unless some gun show vendor still has a pile trying to sell it for $50 a box. :rofl:

14. spearogun

spearogun
    Expand Collapse

what are you guys paying for wolf 9mm?

I don't believe it will hurt your gun, but if its that much cheaper, buy the time you wear out your barrel and extractor, you'll probably saved enough money on ammo to buy another.

15. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

I got mine for $0.23 per round (shipped) from Cabela's, but I had to wait for 50 days.

16. O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX
    Expand Collapse

Wolf is $9.99/ 50 pack locally.
    All other 9mm ammo is $15 per box.
    Is it worth it to fire it out of my LW .40-9mm conversion barrel?

17. Halojumper

Halojumper
    Expand Collapse

That's interesting, since one of the tightest groups I have ever gotten in my 35 was with Wolf. Of course my one example is not enough to make a global conclusion either.

18. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

Like I said maybe I got a bad batch of ammo, but when I compared the Wolff to the PMC and even WWB on another occasion, the Wolff was allover the place, not to mention the muzzle flash you get with it. If it was me and not the ammo, then I would have shot just as bad with the other brands.

I was also shooting a G19 which has a shorter barrel than the G35.

:dunno:

19. SAG

SAG
    Expand Collapse

I really disliked the old Wolf ammo. I swear they coated it with hot melt glue, it stuck so well in a hot chamber.

The Wolf I've shot recently, after many years of avoiding it, looks, smells and works very differently. It seems to be about average for clean/dirty burn. Accuracy of the newer Wolf is reasonable for practice ammo. I didn't notice any difference in POI or group size from the WWB or UMC I usually take to the range.

Current Wolf ammunition definately seems very differently from the junk I remembered it to be. I will buy it, if it's what's available. I don't seek it out, but I don't avoid it either.

20. tango44

tango44
    Expand Collapse

No problemo here with wolf ammo on my G26, G17, G27, enjoy!