close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

And then someone on another forum has to bring up the 45 Super...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by TN.Frank, Apr 24, 2012.

1. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

which gets me to doing research on it. Seems like it's an even easier conversion since you can use your existing barrel. Mostly just a spring change with a couple other small parts like a flat bottom firing pin stop. Ballistics look really good. I'd need some Starline 45 Super brass and Unique would be out of the question, probably should use a Mag large Pistol primer as well.
    http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm
    http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45 Super&Weight=All&type=Handgun

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. JAS104

JAS104
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

From What I saw in the first link, theres a big jump in Kinetic Energy from the ACP to the Super. My only concern would be if its your range piece as well as your primary carry-- it might become expensive to train/plink with

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

.45 ACP has been putting bad guys in the dirt for 100+ years,.....why change now? :dunno:

4. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

Doesn't seem like it'd be much more expensive to load then the standard 45acp once you buy up some Starline 45 Super brass.
    I just wonder what all I'd need for the conversion? I know a heavier recoil spring, some say a heavier main spring as well and many use a flat bottom firing pin stop to increase dwell time so the gun won't unlock prematurely.
    This might be a good cartridge to use a Compensator with since you'll have plenty of gas volume to work the Comp AND in a Commander length gun the Comp would add some mass to the system which would be a good thing with this hotter cartridge.
    I really need to look into this a bit more and get a parts list made up. Might be a better alternative then a 400 Corbon since I can use the same loading dies so I'd not need to buy a new set.

5. JAS104

JAS104
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Yeah definitely recoil spring and a new flat bottom firing pin stop. I don't think you'll need a mainspring actually. Its awesome you can maintain the same barrel. Ask Mas or Hicock45 if they have any more info. My only concern is the increased gas pressure. Do you have any idea the grain of a standard .45 super? I'm not too familiar with this particular cartridge

6. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

The Standard 45acp runs at 21,000 psi, the Super is running at 28,500 psi, well under the pressure for the 10mm Auto.
    One guy was saying that he used in his full size a 22# recoil spring a 25# main spring(since he said this had more effect on slide velociety then the recoil spring) and a flat bottom FPS and that he's ran quite a few Super loads out of his gun with no ill effect.
    Since I have a Commander size gun I'd probably go with a 26# recoil spring, 25# main spring, add a FLGR to help control the extra powerful recoil spring and add the Flat Bottom FPS. That should be enough to make the gun ready then I'd just need 45 Super brass and some jacketed bullets. Don't think my home cast would run too well at such high velocities.LOL.

Yes, FAA, I KNOW the 45acp works great, I just like to play around with stuff and love working on handloads and odd ball cartridges and stuff. It gives me something to do with my time until I can find a job.
    Still, it would be kind of neat to go hog hunting with my Commander size 45. I think the 45 Super would be more then up to the task.

7. Rinspeed

Rinspeed
    Expand Collapse
    JAFO

What good is it?

8. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

More power.:whistling:

9. SDGlock23

SDGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Glockoholic

It's an interesting cartridge for sure, there's some about it over in the big dawgs club. I have some 45 Super brass but haven't really messed with any of it yet.

10. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

It's not popular because it doesn't offer much performance difference than regular .45 +P loads. Brass wasn't cheap last time I looked but it's been awhile since I've seen any.

If you want some real power and versatility then go 10mm.

11. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

I'd say it offers a huge bump in power over the 45acp +P.
    http://www.realguns.com/loads/45Super.htm
    185gr JHP @ 1387fps for 790 ft/lbs of energy, never seen a 45acp +P do that. We're talking a pretty serious hunting cartridge for deer size game out to 50 or even 75 yards in an accurate pistol.

12. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

The thing people don't understand is you can load the 45Super at 45ACP, 45ACP+P, 45ACP++P, 45Rowland, and beyond. The brass will hold in my barrel because it is well supported. The problem is, you can kill your gun in short order with hot loads.

So you have to decide how hot you want to go. If you are just looking for ++P I "think" you can get away with a heavy spring and guide rod. If you want to push very hard, get a compensator or suppressor.

BTW, I went G21 because I knew I could push it harder.

BTW2, I decided that I could not get enough power out of my 45Super to be happy hunting with it. IMHO, the problem is bullet construction.

13. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

While I am thinking about it, I seem to remember one of the loads in realguns was seriously WRONG, but I don't have my load data with me.

14. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Right now you can buy semi-custom 10mm that is very powerful. It will run in a factory gun.

The 45Super needs a custom gun and custom loads to get everything out of it.

15. dnuggett

dnuggett
    Expand Collapse
    PRO 2A

Because man likes to tinker with ****. That's what we do.
    I am in the camp that my carry 1911 in .45 ACP is good enough for me. I do like tinkering though... just wouldn't carry it.

16. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I've always been interested in the .45 Super and .460 Rowland, just don't know much at all about them.

17. JAS104

JAS104
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Especially if you had a good quality decent length barreled 1911. Only thing is I feel if you were to go for a buck with a 10mm you'd lose some meat for harvest. Freakin exit wound from one of those badboys would be scary.

18. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

It really strikes me as odd how some of ya'll will defend your purchase of a $3K-$4K 1911 by saying "Need doesn't enter into it, you simply wanted it." but me wanting something like a 400 Corbon or 45 Super starts drawing all kinds of comments about "why would you need that?" or "What good is it?". Seems almost like the pot calling the kettle black IMHO. "Need" doesn't enter into it, as a handloader I simply think it'd be fun to play with a round that's not mainstream like the 45acp is. :upeyes:

19. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

and there we have the patented hissy fit towards custom 1911 owners...... :rofl:

FWIW Frank I think a lot of people just replied on your practicality inquiries. Seems many people have been there done that and figured out that there are better alternatives for them. However, since you like to tinker..... by all means..... convert away and post how everything works out.

20. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

No "Hissy Fit" to it. I just think if "Want" is good enough for them then "Want" is good enough for me. :whistling: