close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

An old .22 need opinions

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Chaos88, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Chaos88

Chaos88

Mar 4, 2011
    This is an old Ted Williams semi auto .22 sold be sears in i think the 70s-80s that was my fathers and i got it with his passing. Now i know its not worth much or even exciting to shoot but it has sentimatial value to me. it is basically the same as a Winchester model 160 if iam not mistaken. Now this thing has not cycled properly since the day i got it, now my father not being a gun guy never did maintnance on it that i know of but last time i saw it fired it cycled fine. I pulled it apart and cleand the hell out of it every part i could think that might effect the cycling. Elevator,trigger assembly recoil bits and peices and still it fires the first round ejects the casing gets the elevator up with a fresh round but seizes at the point where the sliding block should be catching the new round and pushing it up the ramp into the chamer. i can smack the charging handle and it will go into battery but next round has the same idea.

Ant ideas? thanks

2. Alcoy

Alcoy

Jul 13, 2006
    Virginia
    my 2 cents, try replacing recoil spring.

3. mike4570

mike4570

Jun 17, 2002
    Scottsville, Va
    I had the same kind of problem with lead bullets. A switch to copper washed bullets did the trick.

4. Chaos88

Chaos88

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks for the imput guys, ill try the bullets first as the recoil spring seems to have plenty of energy but I also donot know how strong the spring was 30years ago. Plus I have had a hell of a time finding the spring for sale.