An honest question for young earth believers

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by EOS, Aug 21, 2014.

1. I was watching a video going around of an elementary creationism science class and it got me thinking.......

If the earth/universe is only 6000 years old, do creationists deny the existence of other planets and stars within our galaxy that are more than 6000 lightyears away from earth? And the billions of other galaxies in the universe that are WAY farther than 6000 lightyears? The nearest galaxy to The Milky Way is the Andromeda at 2.5 million lightyears away.

Just an honest question intended to help me understand the position.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 EOS, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  2. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot
    CLM

I've heard completely serious rationalizations that the speed of light is not constant. That it is slowing down over time and that therefore these bodies aren't as old as they appear because the light was moving so much faster in the beginning. Never mind that this flies in the face of everything we know of spacetime, relativity and physics in general.

3. Do not let your vendetta against Creation blind you to new information from science.

http://onswipe.com/thedailygalaxy/#...se-the-varying-speed,503ce8c5444f6789473d4075

:angel:

4. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot
    CLM

No vendetta against anything, just committed to following the truth wherever it leads. However, I would expect to see some substantial empirical evidence in support of his theoretical framework before accepting it as a reasonable explanation for how the universe works.

5. Still, the variable light speed theory is quite unproven and not accepted. And I'm no physicist, but I don't see how you could conduct an experiment to test such a theory, or provide any evidence to support it.

And I don't think the physicist who produced the theory is doing it from the perspective of trying to vindicate young earth creationism.

#5 EOS, Aug 21, 2014
  6. A 'lightyear' is a distance so they could be blipped into existence that far. It's the fact that their light reaches us inless than 600 years which would be a problem. But God can just blip the long stream of photons necessary, into existence as well. Blip.

7. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot
    CLM

With the speed of light being the ultimate speed limit for the universe, it is the deciding factor in when forces from one region of space get to interact with those of another. If a prediction could be made based on VSL that such an interaction would have happened sooner than a constant speed of light would allow (given the distances involved) then that would be one way to support it. You would then be looking for observational evidence that the interaction happened at this earlier predicted time.

#7 Geko45, Aug 21, 2014
  8. Additionally, if everything came from a big bang and sped away from each other at the speed of light or less then the light from the objects would all reach each other.....making the idea that the universe is 6000 years old while objects are lightyears away only possible if God blipped them.

9. God said "let there be light, and there was light." He spoke the visible evidence of the stars into existence. We didn't have to wait 100 million years for the light to get here.

10. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot
    CLM

An oldie but a goodie. Blip...

:upeyes:

11. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

There we go, God created the light from those distant 6000 years so so it appears the light had been traveling millions of years.

Blip.

There, He just did it again! Another star!

Blip!

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

12. Do a very trivial little exercise for me. Right now, at your desk or sofa or wherever you are - draw me a tree. Don't ask why, just do it.

I'll be back....

13. There's a lot of misconceptions about the young Earth theory among believers and nonbelievers. Here's one version of the theory.

It's not that the entire Earth is only 6000-10000 years, but that the present "surface" of the Earth is only 6000-10000 years old.

God reworks the surface of the Earth on a regular basis, much like a farmer reworks his fields every year. Just consider how many of the stories and parables from the Bible concern harvests and plantings. The Earth is a garden, human souls are the crop and God is the farmer. It seems God wipes everything clean and starts over as he sees fit.

The last reworking was the flood of Noah. Even though God reworks the surface of the Earth, he does it through natural means such as earthquakes, floods and fire. There are always remnants of previous civilizations left over.

Some of those civilizations may have been just as advanced as us.

There's plenty of geological and archaeological evidence to support this theory. A lot has happened on the Earth in 4.5 billion years, but most of it is not related to our present time.

This theory supports both the evolution and creation beliefs, and is probably a lot closer to the truth than the evolution or creation theories by themselves.

All that evolution stuff did happen over billions of years, then God put man on the Earth complete in his present form.

14. So evolution is real and all the layers represents millions of years of earth's past....but God did it....and humans are not a result of that evolution but rather just got blipped on earth in their present form. :shocked:

15. That's right, and God might have done that several times in Earth's past.

The very first sentence in the Bible that says "God created the heavens and the Earth" contains billions of years. Then God worked the surface of the Earth in six days and created Man.

A lot happened in those billions of years. How many generations of man have there been? How many Adam and Eves have there been?

Each reworking of the Earth is not absolute and complete, but is just enough to prepare a place for the next generation of man.

This "young Earth theory" explains many of the unanswered questions about the Bible. It even allows for a limited form of evolution.

16. Thanks for posting this JB. I haven't read that explanation before now. I've read about the Gap theory. My own belief is that science reveals an understanding of how created organisms function. Just like non believers adjust their beliefs according to scientific advances, I can adjust my beliefs on the mechanisms explaining those things that are created. My belief in God being the Creator doesn't change nor has my thinking concerning the evolution of simpler forms to evolving into more complex forms.
    ETA: This is my view of science concerning all the created universe - organic and inorganic; that it reveals the details of all things created by God.

#16 Emmett4glock, Aug 21, 2014
  17. I thought we had that big discovery a few months ago where the initial expansion from the big bang occurred at speeds faster than light? Lasted for milliseconds?

If true, then light would not be the fastest thing.

18. http://scienceline.org/2007/07/ask-romero-speedoflight/

19. deleted

#19 EOS, Aug 21, 2014
  20. The major difference being that science adjusts theories to meet new data and observations, whereas your model admittedly takes data and make it fit into a preconceived dogma.