Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

An entire PD - gone.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Dec 3, 2011.

1. boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    It's getting more and more common. Interesting how the citizens show support of the police wanting them to stay but don't want to pay property taxes to pay for it. Money doesn't grow on trees folks.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. That's too bad. Let's hope some other agencies absorb the unemployed officers.
  3. Read more:

I found that statement an interesting perspective.

I also hope the laid-off officers get hired elsewhere. And all their pensions, etc... remain intact.
  4. Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    It's a crying shame really. As someone who got laid off, I can sympathize. It really sucks.

That said, I dunno what the property rates are in that county but I bet not having enough tax revenue is not the issue. I'd be willing to bet that HOW the elected officials spend the tax revenue is the issue. That's ok though, the majority of voters don't give a rat's ass. The ship is sinking and so many are still looking for handouts. I'm not bitter though..............:faint:

Politics and a budget crunch led to my downfall. We can get rid of folks topped out and hire new guys and save 20K a pop. Oh make sure they support my party affiliation too. :shocked:
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Now I ain't no math whiz, but this sounds to me like they will be paying pretty much the same as they were...

$623,000 for the next six months equals $1,246,000 a year. What do you want to bet the Sheriff's Office won't be scaling back their costs after the first six months?

Sounds like a load of BS from council, I'm sure they really give a **** about the safety of their officers. Apparently the S.O. will be running one guy a shift which is probably about what the P.D. ran... and 7 guys for a city of 6,000, while not a lot, is enough.
  6. CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    So far in San Mateo county Milbrae, Hillsborough, Half Moon Bay, San Carlos all went undr. They are all working for the SO now.
  7. In these parts, Snohomish and Sultan both got disbanded and rolled into the sheriff's office. Won't be the first as the local Sheriff's are aggressively pitching consolidation of services as a means to save costs (never mind the numbers in costs and personnel never pan out).
  8. steve581581

Oct 9, 2011
    Troy MI
    This just happened near me. The sheriffs hired most of the city officers and for some reason the number of arrests has substantially increased.
  9. fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Consolidation of services with a county agency can save money for cash-strapped cities, granted. I suspect we'll see more of this until the economy settles.

Fortunately, in some instances with which I'm familiar, the local PD officers were absorbed (although required to pass background checks to be eligible, of course) into an SO, often with pay increases, better benefits and at top step. This is obviously preferable to losing their job if the agency simply folds.

I've also heard of situations where residents were pleasantly surprised by receiving an increase in services, including increased arrests of violators and more patrol presence.

Sometimes local municipalities may decide to merge services (as has been done for Fire), too. The city of Monte Sereno (Santa Clara county), which used to contract with the Sheriff (like Cupertino & Saratoga), is presently policed by neighboring Los Gatos PD (now the Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Dept).

BTW, considering how affluent Hillsborough CA is, I doubt they'll decide to give up their own PD. The press only lists 3 cities in that county negotiating with the county for police services ...
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  10. More often than not, egos, not finances, drive whether a city will keep it's own PD. WHo's name on the car and all of that.
  11. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    More arrests might mean that the law is doing a better job of catching bad guys, or it might mean that more crime is happening and there are more bad guys to catch.... :whistling:
  12. fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Yep. Could mean most anything.

The instances which I have in mind seem to be more indicative of the former, though.
  13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    officer safety is only a concern for officers. everybody else who uses that term is just paying lip service.
  14. ClydeG19

Oct 5, 2001
    They are paying MCSO a contract rate of $910k per year. Hell my 7 man dept runs on $380k per year. The square mile of real estate that we're responsible for looks pretty equivalent to Youngstown's area. If hiring MCSO is a deal for the powers that be, what was YPD's budget and why was it that high? Sure our budget is lowballing it a bit (we had a boss that didn't like us very much, but we'll see about whomever is hired to take his place), but surely you could run a PD efficiently somewhere in between $380k and $910k, even with a few more officers that the old chief wanted.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  15. LippCJ7

Jan 21, 2007
    We see it here in Colorado,

Highlands Ranch which has a population of 107,000(roughly in 2007) is contracted with Douglas County SO

Centennial Population of 100,000 (2010) contracts with Arapahoe County SO

I have heard rumblings for awhile that Lonetree is still considering going to Douglas County SO and uses Parker PD for Dispatch.

Clearly these are good sized cities so this has to be a financial decision.

Tough times bring tough decisions, Like others I hope that these Officers get picked up quickly but I think that Contracting out Public Safety Services is here to stay. I don't know if it will or will not jeopardize Officer safety but I Pray that these tough decisions do not cost any Officers their lives.
  16. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

There is a small PD in our county that could save the city a lot of money by contracting with the SO. They have eight officers, and eight people ranking sergeant or above, and patrol handles about as many calls per shift as each deputy in the county handles on his own in an hour.
  17. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    That works out to $54k per officer without considering insurance, retirement, vehicles, equipment, fuel, ammunition, training, etc. How is that even possible?
  18. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    Who knows, in the future only very large cities will have a police force, and the rest use the local sheriff.

It may not be an entirely bad thing.
  19. blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Contracting out LE services can be efficient and worthwhile for a town or small city, as I have seen in California. The problem is that in Maricopa County, we are saddled with a Sheriff who will handpick deputies known for their community relations skills contracted affluent communities - Carefree, Cave Creek, Fountain Hills, Litchfield Park; whereas he sends the opposite end of the spectrum to communities with low per capita incomes and high minority percentages - Aguila, Guadalupe, and El Mirage.

MCSO was so incompetent in El Mirage that serious incidents of child abuse, sex crimes, and other serious incidents were not investigated or exceptionally cleared. About 500 cases had to be re-opened and investigated again. In many instances, the suspects were known and never contacted. Bolick Justice Denied.pdf
    [The Goldwater Institute is a libertarian/conservative think tank in Arizona and brings attention to government abuse of its own laws]

Youngtown is a lower-middle class town that was formerly age restricted. Retirees make up a majority of the residents, but with the inexpensive housing, they are slowly giving way to the less desirables in society. Combine that with MCSO's insistence in undermanning patrol district III with two to three deputies at night that must cover hundreds of square miles by themselves, Youngtown is not going to get what they expect.

It is my prediction that Youngtown will devolve and the town government itself will un-incorporate in the near future. The town currently has virtually no municipal services beyond the mayor/council, the library, the town magistrate, and a few streets-municipal services employees. There was never a fire department, water department, or other services most people identify as an important part of city/town government.