close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ammo waterproof experiment

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by toshbar, Dec 3, 2011.

1. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    I just tossed one of my Federal 180 grain .40sw HiShoks, along with a random one of my 175 grain lead reloads into my toilet tank.

The idea here is to see if they are waterproof. I'm going to leave them in there for a week or so and then see if any water got in.

Anyone have any predictions? I'll update with what I find.

2. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

Jun 20, 2011
    USA
    Good experiment...

Keep us in the loop!

I believe good quality ammo has good quality primer sealant and therefore may not be affected by the water. We'll see!

3. Bucky89

Bucky89

May 21, 2010
    Midwest
    If they do get wet, I'd be interested in the results of you letting them dry off for a few days and then trying to shoot them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

Dec 2, 2008
    I had a box of 9mm under rain water on the boat for six months (was under a porthole). All fired perfectly.

PS: Never trust a sample size of one each.

5. zorro49

zorro49

Oct 20, 2011
    South Carolina
    Hollow points will leak, ball ammo less of chance, another reason military uses ball ammo, nah just kidding. Will be interesting to see results. zorro49

6. I think it would have already leaked if it was going to leak. I don't really think a week is going to make a difference.

7. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

Dec 25, 2010
    Umm, Earth!
    should fire fine..........its a 50/50 chance.

8. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Oct 3, 2011
    NY
    Finally I get to do this instead of someone doing it to me lol...

IBTL!!!

9. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010
    You are not going to flush your toilet for a week and the retreive the 2 rounds.
    Anyone have any predictions? You and your Glock will smell like SH#!.

10. ComeAndGetThem

ComeAndGetThem

Mar 31, 2007
    Texico
    If it should fire fine, then the odds are greater than 50/50. :supergrin:

11. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

Feb 4, 2011
    Hoover, AL
    You better hope they don't get sucked down the drain when you flush! Couldn't you have put them somewhere that wouldn't potentially result in a live round stuck in your toilet's passages? Maybe a bowl of water?

I once took my G29 tubing with me. It was loaded with some handloaded 175gr Silvertips. It was underwater (UNDERwater, not just wet) for about 4 hours. I tested the rounds on the way home, they were fine. With most commercial ammo being sealed, I'm predicting they fire just fine.

Unfortunately, we will never hear your results, because this thread will be locked in a minute. IBTL, biatches!

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

:rofl::rofl:

13. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Oct 3, 2011
    NY
    lol!!!

14. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

Jun 20, 2011
    USA
  15. That's on par with: "Do not eat the yellow snow!"

16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Military ammo is made to special requirements to increase waterproofness. Crimped primer pockets, plus a sealant around the primer. Also the sealant is applied around the case mouth.

I don't know of any commercial ammo made to these requirements. It might be okay, might not.

Neither your reloads nor those Federals are made to be waterproof, so not exactly sure what you're testing. And I agree... a sample size of 1 is insufficient. Do 100 each and leave them in there for a week.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Why would there be a lock?

Granted, I don't understand the nervous nancy mentality of this forum in the last few years, but lock a thread about testing ammo?