Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

ammo supply

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by vallelbg, Jun 16, 2013.

1. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    Thats the way I do it, a box or two a week in each caliber I am stocking. I seem to be drawn to .223 and .45acp for some reason. I have slowly, but steadily built up a few thousand rounds of each over the years.

I buy ammo just for the range, I rarely dip into my stash for a range trip.
  2. unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I can only speak to my personal circumstances.

I've quit going to the range the past year or so and concentrated in laying in a supply of range and self-defense ammo. Regular contact with Wal-Mart has resulted in purchases of both 9mm and .22lr.

I had a pretty good supply of JHP self-defense ammo but ran thin of the range ammo. Even though I've accumulated range ammo in the interim I'm also sitting on that until I'm convinced the supply is coming back.

3. I agree. My stash that I've built since April

4. Adamz04

Mar 28, 2012
    Looks like part of the problem to me
  5. I shoot competitively. Most of the 9mm will be gone in 24 months.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  6. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    Yep. Me too.
  7. Michael Rye

Michael Rye

Oct 8, 2012
    When people quit paying forty bucks for a 50 round box of 45 ACP ball ammo, this crap will stop.

Honestly, 25 dollars is too much. More like 20 to 22 dollars.

You need to buy WHAT YOU USE, not what you think you need.

If you are one of these 'I go the range once a month' people, you have absolutely zero business trying to buy 250-500 rounds at a time.

Sorry for the venom, but I am sick of this!

Rant off.
  8. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    Why do you say that regarding buying 250-500 rounds?
  9. Michael Rye

Michael Rye

Oct 8, 2012
    I say that simply because if someone is a once a month shooter, they have no need for a bulk ammo purchase.

I have no problem with people who go to the range once or twice a week...every week...buying that much ammo at a time. If you go the range that often, you are serious about what you are doing.

What's driving this are people on the margins who never give these things a thought until they perceive a possibility they can't have weapons anymore. They weren't serious to begin with...that's my point.

Ammo belongs to shooters, not wannabes who stockpile because 'the day may come'.
  10. cddanjr

Feb 23, 2013
    so. cal.
    I have resorted to a Lee Classic Turret! 4 pulls and I have a new 45acp. So far I have 500 rounds, with another 500 I will be break even on equipment, and my per cost will be down to less than 15¢! Now to get set up for .223!

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City

= $50 / 1,000 .45 auto, and that's being generous.

Add to that the fact you don't have to worry about who's buying what at Wal-Mart or on Just watch the lead melt, sit back and smile.

I'll be at the range... hope y'all make it.
  12. I try to get out to the range every month, handgun and long gun. I don't have a stacked wall of ammo....I send them down range. Sure, I may only have +200 in one of my calibers but I'm not gonna sit home and watch a bunch of boxes grow and grow and collect dust bunnies. Too me, good range time trumps sucking the Walmart teet and bragging on how many boxes were scored.
  13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Learn to reload. Even in the worst of the times I found components and have a nice stash. :supergrin:
  14. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
  15. Glockbuster

Jun 30, 2005
    Middle America
    It is free market my friend. You can buy as much as you can or want. You could easily make a case that ammo is a precious commodity like gold. Something that would only get harder and harder to get as time goes by and is not perishable. Unless of course you want to impose regulations on this and I think we have all pretty much seen enough of that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  16. R*E

May 12, 2008
    We need to convince the hoarders the Beanie Babies are a better investment. :supergrin:
  17. itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    I used to buy some everytime I went to Walmart. Except for the good stuff. I go to Walmart more than I shoot.
  18. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I generally do not stock up for self defense. A couple of hundred rounds will last a very long time. In the unlikely event that I use it all and survive I'll go to ball. But I'm not stockpiling for the inevitable zombie apocalypse I just want to go shooting every week.
  19. als54

Jun 18, 2013
    Check, It's an ammo search engine.
  20. I think a few vendors aren't appearing on there anymore, I used it for a while...but I tend to just go straight different company's websites.