close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ammo Sales and Illinois FOID Card

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by flw, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    It helps to know something about the subject you are talking about.

Texas carry laws are not terribly great. Many, if not most, states are better.

Go look into it if you are curious...it's a bit off topic to get into details about in this thread.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Well excuse me! I now alot about a lot of things, but TX gun laws aren't one if them.

3. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well, that begs the question...why quote me and respond with this:

If you don't know you don't know, that's perfectly fine. But when you seemingly attempt to counter what another person says...when you don't know...that's where you get into trouble.

4. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    The operating words there were "one would think"

5. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    lol

Okay.

The below statement:

given the context, indicates that what you would think is not exactly correct.

Please feel free to start a thread on how TX carry laws compare to VT carry laws if you do not understand.

6. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    OK, I erred. I said "I would think." But I wasn't attempting to say it was actually factual.

7. rwrjr

rwrjr

May 25, 2007
    Northern VA
    Seems to me that the FOID card is nothing more than registration. Instead of registering guns they register gun owners. Residents of your state should demand to know how much the FOID program costs the state to run and costs businesses to comply. Then ask them to justify the costs. Your state is facing HUGE financial shortfalls but wastes money on a program that produces no tangible results.

Like I said earlier you're fighting the wrong battle. Instead of making the ammo dealers in the other 49 states comply with the ridiculous FOID program, thereby increasing the cost of doing business to them too, use your efforts to shut down the wasteful and freedom infringing program in the one offending state.

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Pretty much, yes. Gun owners have to register themselves with the state.

Actually, it's more than gun owners. Better hope the police don't find you in possession of so much as a single round of .22lr, all by its lonesome, if you haven't registered yourself with the state, whether or own a gun or not. :upeyes:

9. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I am SO GLAD that I don't live in IL!

10. FishyOne

FishyOne

Nov 12, 2012
    Doesn't even need to be a .22lr. A single round of .22 short, in the possession of an Illinois citizen who is not registered with the state and maintaining a current FOID, is a violation of Illinois State law!

It's nuts really and I'm glad I'm gone too. :wavey:

11. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
  12. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    allows non-IL citizens to pass thru IL with ammo no problem.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  13. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

The FOID is a line that the Chicago area Politicians will not cross. We stand a better chance of CCW than getting rid of the FOID.

We could have CCW tomorrow if the NRA would allow it to pass with Home Rule Cities being allowed to opt out. NRA has killed it twice that I know of because they want all or none. It is unlikely we will have all in our life times.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  14. cheapshot

cheapshot

Oct 27, 2011
    Being from west central Illinois myself, i'd like to say that you, sir, are absolutely correct. The NRA is in cahoots with Madigan evidently. It's a damn shame that so many people in a state are dictated to by a few in a small region of said state. Something is amiss with the NRA's position of "all or none". There are enough reps in the crook county region that have stated that they won't support a bill that includes crook county. Does this mean they will support a bill that doesn't? Guess we'll never know as long as the NRA is holding downstate Illinois hostage.

15. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I'm one of these people that actually calls the Legislators and talks to them on both good and bad votes.

I have had a number of the anti gun legislators tell me that down state can have wild west shootouts if they want. They will vote for it if they can opt out.

16. cheapshot

cheapshot

Oct 27, 2011
    I"ve talked to a couple myself. I believe the votes are there to pass it excluding cook. However, the NRA will spew a dozen reasons why they won't approach it that way. I've heard em all. There's something more to all this than is being aired. I have my suspicions, but won't air them here.

17. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I am glad that the entire nation does not deal with ammunition this way. :upeyes:

18. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
    We have a lot of IL. residents that shop in Iowa in our area and some stores will ask if your a Iowa resident when buying ammo. I have no idea how they can tell if your a resident since they don't ask for your ID.

19. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Maybe their accent?

20. FishyOne

FishyOne

Nov 12, 2012
    :rofl:

That's funny! I'm from Galesburg, IL originally. Live in Dubuque, IA now. People think I'm from Tennessee because of my southern accent!

I was at Scheels in the Coral Ridge Mall tonight. Bought a box of 38sp P+ and the cashier didn't even ask for an ID. The way it should be!