close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ammo Recomendation

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Bigrockreb, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Bigrockreb

Bigrockreb

Apr 25, 2012
    Hi Mas.

I just finished reading "In The Gravest Extrme", and just started "The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry".

Thanks for some very good info.

I just traded for my 2nd Glock. It is a 19, gen 3, and it is going to be my carry weapon. I will have to put several rounds through it though before I will trust it fully. Although I am sure it will be fine, I want to be positive.

I will use this to protect not just me, but my wife and two little girls, who I will protect until my death.

My question is, what ammo would you recommend to use in the G19 for self defense?

I was leaning towards the heaviest bullets, in hollow point of some type. But not sure what grain, type bullet, brand, +P+ or +P, etc.

I trust your recommendation. That's why I asked!

Thanks for everything!
    Greg

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm personally partial to 124-127 grain JHP at about 1250 foot-seconds nominal velocity.

best,
    mas

3. Bigrockreb

Bigrockreb

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks. It looks like the only thing I can get my hands on here is Buffalo Bore +P or +P+. Is that good ammo? Or should I order Gold Dot +P?

Or is there another brand that would be better in the G19? I just want to make sure I have the right and best if I ever have to use it.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but I just want the best to protect my girls!
    Thanks again for the info.
    You can PM me if you'd like or email at bigrockreb@msn.com

Greg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Greg, Buffalo Bore is top quality ammo but I don't know of any shootings with the ammo you mentioned. The Gold Dot is a street proven choice in the 124 grain +P, proven from NYPD to Chicago PD to Las Vegas Metro PD.

best,
    Mas