close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ammo Question re: FN 5.7 Pistol

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by harleypower69, Nov 2, 2010.

1. harleypower69

harleypower69

Jul 19, 2010
    Mas,

Before I ask the question; a quick disclaimer. I am old school and believe in the big diameter bullet theory and carry a .45 ACP XDM. I also have a Model 26 for CCW stoked with Rem. GS 115 gr. I moved to AZ from NH and do alot of desert endurance hikes with my dog. I purchased the FN 5.7 due to light weight and high capacity mags. My question is regarding bullet weight choices. I find the lightweight 29 gr. HP's much more acurate than the 40 gr. varmit loading. Any feedback on projectile performance as an anti-personnel round? I ask this due to remote areas hiked and ammo carry considerations (weight). I prefer best standoff performance that is accurate from a pistol, though the 5.7 is controversial, it suits the task at hand. Any guidance is deeply appreciated.

Much Respect,

Chris

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Chris, I just can't find anything that tells me I'd want to carry a 5.7 pistol for self-defense with the loads currently on the civilian market in the US. I'm not yet convinced that the wounding power is there.

However, with some sight-in and practice and a 185 grain +P load, your XD .45 should give a good account of itself out to 100 yards. It will be going almost 1000 feet per second at that distance and still generating close to 400 foot-pounds of energy.

best,
    Mas

3. harleypower69

harleypower69

Jul 19, 2010
    Mas,

I sincerely appreciate your thoughts on this matter. I'll practice at greater distance with the 185 gr.'s over at Ben Avery and see how I do.

Much Respect,

Chris