close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ammo gone wildddddd

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by MSims, Feb 6, 2013.

1. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    Stockpiling ammo over time seems perfectly reasonable to me, and I have accumulated 500 to 1,000 rounds each of 22, 9mm and .45. What seems a bit over the top is emptying dealer shelves now in order to have 5,000 to 10,000 rounds on hand for whatever reason.

I think panic buying hurts all of us who like to shoot a lot and buy ammo as we go.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. Mr KV

Mr KV

Feb 7, 2013
    Japan to NoVA
    Speaking of Palmetto, they are taking forever to ship my order out. Seems like they are realllyyyyy backed up.

3. eagle15

eagle15

Oct 7, 2005
    Alabama
    Very well stated, I think your 10,000 round inventory is conservative based on what I have seen lately. Many of the extreme, crazed, panic stricken hoarders are not the shooters that spend a lot of time at the range. The domino effect is playing out right now. The Military, Federal and local LE are stocking up using the priority they have to make sure their supply does not drop due to the crazed public stocking up for whatever they think is going down in the future. I contend that if every hoarder would take a break for about two or three weeks, the rest of us could pick up a few boxes at a reasonable price.

4. mingaa

mingaa

Dec 3, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I like your optimism - "when".

The upside of reloading is I get a custom round that is fine tuned to my competition (or SD) needs. I have 2 9mm loads that I load and trust - #3 is in the works.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  5. I guess I understand, but personally I dont compete, and as far as "custom tuning" 9mm, im not really interested at the moment.

I have plenty of 9mm ammo but it isnt a caliber I carry. Like I said, primers are too difficult to come by, that I am not wasting them on 9mm to save a couple of dollars or to fine tune a round for SD... (Note; if I was making SD ammo I could get my head around it, as i wouldnt be using that much and I could justify it.. but to use 100's if not 1000s of my primers for punching holes in paper? .. No thanks :faint:)

6. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Apr 24, 2011
    I have more ammo than I can carry on my back. thats what it breaks down to for me. If a thousand rounds of a few different calibers isn't enough, I'm doing something wrong. I'm not planning on holing up in the basement if the SHTF. I will me in the woods. Well selected shots for food and protection and the ability to stay mobile will be our priority.

7. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I am down to under 500 rounds of 9mm ammo. Gun show this weekend - time to get more primers and bullets.

8. I don't think you're getting any primers.. But I could be wrong

9. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    You're probably right. I am going to a big gun show on Saturday, and I'll go in right when they open.

10. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Apr 24, 2011
    I second that. I passed on a trip to a gun show this weekend. I don't need to feed this beast. I'm not a hoarder. I have enough for now and I'll buy some more once the dust settles. If the prices stay high, I'll cut my practice down to a minimum.

11. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Primers were few to nonexistent at the Barre show this past weekend but I wish you luck between West Leb. and White River shows. SJ 40

12. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I know the Wleb show, but what is in WRJ?

:cool:

13. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  14. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    SCMB
    Well I was Wrong,different promoters,different locations make a difference, At the W Leb. show there was a fellow with plenty of stock of CCI small and large pistol primers.

He was asking 35.00 a K for small and 40.00 a K for large,don't quite understand that price difference.

For todays market place that pricing was not all that unreasonable,as some of the LGS,if they have any on the shelfs are way more than that on pricing.

This is one time I'm glad to be Wrong,hope you scored some.
    SJ 40

15. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I guess that we will have to wait for a pro-gun GOPer to be elected POTUS.

16. lockANDload

lockANDload

Feb 21, 2012
    Vt
    I was there....everyone was buying, except me, cause I already have what I need.......well, almost everything I need. Funny how every gun shop locally was outta AR mags for weeks before the show....suddenly at the show they all had piles....at marked up prices tho, the days of $15 mags are over. Speaking of mags, I'm sick of looking for 17rd rd mags for my new mp 9mm.:dunno:

17. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Funny how that happens. SJ 40

18. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry

Apr 22, 2012
    That's Exactly my Thinking too, I got better things to do..:grill:

19. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Well I am going to reload 100 rounds of 9x19 tomorrow here in VT.