close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ammo...flying out of the stores...why?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by NHmountainman, Jan 27, 2012.

1. NHmountainman

NHmountainman

Jan 29, 2005
    NH
    I keep stopping at various Walmarts around my state and I like to pick up ammo for my 9mm and .40. In the past month, they are out of 9mm and .45acp and literally have 1 box of .40 which I buy...each time they are out of other calibers but have the .40. When I see it I get it.

I can buy on line, so I am not concerned about getting ammo, but...what does everyone know that I don't know? Why the rush on ammo?

2. The South is preparing to rise again. :rofl::whistling: Stores are probably just slow in restocking.

3. Feanor

Feanor

Feb 28, 2010
    All I know is that I never purchase ammo from retail outlets, that includes Walmart.

4. Supply and demand. Local gun ranges here around Atlanta Ga are PACKED after work and on weekends. Record number of firearms purchased last quarter. Peeps are packing and want to shoot their new toys!

5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Fear of the second term president really imposing his will?

6. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    NC

This^^^ Agree...And in my area also...."Peeps" also want to `stock` a bit extra...One never knows when things can stop..or run-out.

7. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I asked the guy at the outdoors counter a few weeks ago and he told me they do not keep ammo in the back stockroom. They only order ammo when the shelf is empty and they only order the amount that will fit on the shelf.

I guess its store policy that they do not store ammo in the back, as to why I would guess some liability theory.

Doesn't take much of a rush to sell out the 20 boxes of 9mm on the shelf and be out for two or three days until the next truck arrives.

Surprisingly though my Walmart has increased its ammo and gun selection significantly in the last 6 months. They now have some Bushmaster .223's and several choices of handgun SD ammo like PDX1.

8. brob2425

brob2425

Mar 11, 2011
    Virginia
    Local walmarts around here have actually been more stocked in ammo than usual. I've been stocking up on the $20/100 9mm and $25/100 .40 Federal packs.

9. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

Nov 23, 2009
  10. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Forget the big box stores unless you absolutely need to buy some ammo.

The Internet outlets are price-competitive and deliver to your door, saving the fuel costs of driving to the store.

11. Around here, in Tennessee, it seems normal in reloading shops, local gun shops, the Peoples Republic of Wal-Mart, Academy, Dick's... And it was that way on a recent trip to Columbia, SC, too. Had a couple of hours to kill and went to a range with my carry Caracal. They had tons of ammo, too.

Maybe you've just got a sub-par Wal-Mart... though I don't even know how that's possible.

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Winter is always a busy time. My local range is always hopping busy. Come May-June it tapers off significantly.

Next winter will be interesting, after Obama wins reelection, especially if the dummkopf Republicans lose the House again.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  13. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Texas
  14. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Feb 22, 2002
    Maybe the ATF is buying all the ammo and sending it to Mexican rebels across the border.

Main Stream Media: "Look, Loook! The Mexican rebels are killing people with American made ammo!"

ATF: :whistling:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  15. brob2425

brob2425

Mar 11, 2011
    Virginia
    Shipping charges outweigh the gas used. If you know somewhere I can get 500 rounds of 9mm for less than $90 shipped, please do share.

16. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Tuktoyaktuk
    Not flying off the shelves around here. Business as usual.

17. Feanor

Feanor

Feb 28, 2010
    This ^^^ is the best advice you're likely to get! If you don't reload, you're a fool to purchase ammo any other way,

18. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Feb 22, 2002
    If Walmart ever quit selling ammo, half of Glocktalk wouldn't know what to do. They'd just throw their guns in a lake, cause they wouldn't know where to get ammo.

19. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Sep 19, 2008
    MO
    I'll guess mostly income taxes. People get their returns and buy things they otherwise would not be able to