close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ammo cans for gas?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by mac66, Jul 10, 2011.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    I ran across a guy selling ammo cans for some good prices. While looking at some of the larger 81 and 120mm cans it occurred to me that they were big enough to hold 3 or 4 gallons of gas and as tough as jerry cans. So now I am thinking of picking up a couple and maybe rigging some sort of a spout on them and use them for gas.

What says the hive?

2. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    poor idea.

Metal will cause contamination of your fuel, rubber gaskets in them will get destroyed.

There's a reason everyone in the world got away from metal gas cans. It wasn't because they were good.

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    You will also learn that ammo cans do have contaminants in them. Frankly, I don't know if they can be 100% removed.

4. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
  5. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx
    the paint will peal and the gasket will melt from the gas eating at it

6. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Couldn't pay me to do it; anymore than I'd 'rig up' a threaded fitting and use them for propane...

No offense meant, but imo that's a very bad idea.

7. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

Apr 11, 2008
    This.

Or the makings of a news headline.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. mac66

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Thank you to the "just don't do it" crowd for you enlightened responses. :supergrin:

With all due respect, I am not putting drinking water in them, what contaminants that might be in an ammo can are unlikely to hurt an engine.

Second, the gaskets in ammo cans are chemical resistant and made from the same stuff that they make gas can gaskets from. Yeah, I checked.

Third, metal gas cans are still used all over the world. I have a couple jerry cans that I use and never had a problem with the metal contaminating the fuel.

Fourth, explain the Darwin Award comment? Explain why putting gas in a sealed metal container is any different from putting it in any other sealed metal gas can?

So other than that and despite all the speculation and WAGs, does anyone have any valid reason why you couldn't use a sealed metal ammo can to carry gas?

9. If you think it is a good idea go for it. Sounds like you have convinced yourself. I must say that I have thought about storing many things in ammo cans but storing a flammable, highly volatile liquid has not been one of them.

Good luck.

10. mac66

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    No I am not convinced yet. I am waiting to hear a valid reason why not. To be honest we all store flammable highly volatile liquids in metal containers all the time. Gasoline, paint thinner etc, etc. My point is that these things are heavy duty steel containers with sealed lids. If I welded the lid closed, and put a spout on them, how are they different from any other metal gas can?

11. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    No way! We would then miss your post wondering why your house burned down. Or asking why your car's gas filter needs replacing when you use gas from your ammo cans.

12. My only suggestion is to do this before you fill it with gasoline.:steamed:

13. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Just due to the 'unknowns' involved and the return on investment. Is an ammo can's interior paint impervious to gasoline, or will the gas dissolve the paint and turn to jello inside; unknowns like that. And the return on investment, combined with those unknowns, just doesn't seem worthwhile, when actual 5-gallon steel gas cans are available for $35-$50 or so, with no unknowns or tinkering necessary. No need to weld anything up, no need to find, purchase, and somehow attach nozzles, etc; genuine, ready-made metal gas cans, complete and ready for use.

Bear in mind also that those big 81mm & 120mm cans are going to hold substantially more than 3-4 gallons; more like ten or so. So now there's also the weight issue of trying to actually use a home-made gas can, weighing 75-80 pounds, to fill up whatever it is that needs filling up.

I'm sure it could be done as long as someone was willing to address the unknowns and weight issues; I just don't see why it would be worth the effort unless a person just had a huge supply of those ammo cans sitting around and nothing else to do with them. (For that matter, even in that case I'd suggest selling those cans and then using the money to buy real gas cans.. :supergrin: )

If you want to do it, it's a free country; just for me personally it wouldn't be worth the worries and hassles involved, not when the genuine article is readily available.

14. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I am pretty sure your idea is illegal. Could have swore you could not store gas in anything not rated for gas.

15. swordsmn

swordsmn

May 18, 2002
    Metro Atlanta
    Use the ammo cans for EMP shielding of radio's & hotpockets.
    And remember, It IS tactically cool to goto Walmart & buy a plastic gas can...
    Blue ones for water too!

16. mac66

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Best reason yet not to. Just go to Walmart. :supergrin:

I will concede that it is better to just use regular gas cans but there is nothing magical about them. The metal ones are just metal cans, the plastic ones are just molded plastic. Nothing mysterious about that.

I am done with this. Time to move on.:supergrin:

17. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    I say put the crack pipe down, before posting on GT S&P :rofl:

18. Video removed due to guilt

OP I'm really sorry but I just couldn't help myself.

19. swordsmn

swordsmn

May 18, 2002
    Metro Atlanta
    Hey I even store my Ed's red in plastic gas cans.. (No acetone used in my Ed's)

Lot's of guys use their 50cal can's as Ed's Red dunk tanks not me.

I think Red plastic IS magical vrs a 1945 ammo can for gasoline storage. You sound like a nice guy. Be careful out there...

20. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    You make some valid points. I too see no real difference between one sturdy metal and another sturdy metal container. I can see where the paint on the inside of a ammo can would degrade and gum up the gas but other than that, the seal probably isn't going to degrade. I checked the old metal gas can i have and it is not painted on the inside. You might consider stripping the inside first.

I would test one out by filling it 1/4 full and putting it somewhere in the shade in the backyard or somewhere else safe (not in the garage). Come back a week later and check it. Check the seal. Check the paint. Note the condition of the can to see if there are any bulges from pressure ect. Then turn it on its side and leave it for a few days. Come back and look for leaks and check the seal again to see if it's gummy. Go from there to make an informed decision on how to procede.

The only bad thing I can think of would be that the seal might be too tight and not allow the can to vent. A full can might build up pressure and go kaboom with a spark. Be very carefull and give us a report after the 1/4 can test.