Ammo and home fires

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Skylark, Mar 21, 2013.

1. If a home that contains ammo is on fire, even if the ammo is in ammo cans, if they start going off then won't the fire department refuse to fight the fire?

If so, how do you store your ammo to avoid that situation?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    If you have a fire at home, your ammo is going to cook off like this. The Okie Corral Aug 28, 2015
    Home Defense Ammo General Glocking Aug 6, 2015
    Homeland security, buying non lethal ammo Survival/Preparedness Forum Apr 4, 2015
    Home defense ammo The Kalashnikov Klub Mar 22, 2015
    Pheonix: Home burglarized of guns, gear and ammo - LOTS of pictures The Okie Corral Dec 12, 2014

3. Honestly they might go bang but the round doesn't tend to go far. Unless you're talking about massive amounts of ammo. And by then, at least around here, most likely we aren't going interior and you're gonna probably have to find a new house

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

4. This has been test to the extreme. There is a great video on youtube about it.

Conclusion was noisy, but harmless.

5. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Since the bullet weighs more than the cartridge, the bullet hardly moves and the shell goes in the opposite direction. Easily contained, little if any danger.

6. Hi MedicOni, Jim and Paul:

Thanks for your responses.

Since posting my question here, I did some Googling. I learned that firefighters have taken defensive positions when they heard ammo going off. Part of the problem is that they don't know whether there are any loaded guns. Thus fighting the fire is hindered. ---- Also, ammo stored in ammo cans can cause the ammo can to burst, releasing shrapnel.
    http://my.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/exploding-ammunition-is-this

It appears that the recommended way to store ammo is in a fire resistant safe. Here's a quote:
    "Lt. Larry Tracy of IFD said ammunition detonating is not a common occurrence at fire scenes, but recommends homeowners store ammo in a fireproof safe. "Try to store it around things that are not combustible," he said."
    http://www.wthr.com/story/20664736/ammunition-reportedly-exploding-at-south-indianapolis-house-fire

There are many finds on this using Google. I'm going to buy a fire resistant safe to store my ammo.

Thanks,
    Skylark

7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

This is so true. :cool:

8. dkf

dkf

When ammunition is burned in say a house fire the bark is more than its bite.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c"]SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter - YouTube[/ame]

9. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

10. I have been sorting out scorched cans and melted boxes ever since my house burned.
    But no ammo popped and no powder cans boomed.
    An LEO said he warned the FD about all that dangerous stuff, but they were not standing back the last I saw before being hauled off to hospital. Somebody got in long enough to throw a case of black out the window, it was later recovered from the yard and I am still shooting out of it.

11. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

What matters is if the nation's fire departments know that cooking off ammo is not at all the same as gunshots from firearms.

12. Even if they know that, they won't know whether there's a loaded gun with one in the chamber.

Sky

13. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

The only gun in my house with the chamber loaded is the G17 on my hip 24/7/365.