Ameriglo sights installation, Loctite - Red or Blue?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by FirearmsInPhoenix, Jan 8, 2011.

1. I recently purchased 3 sets of Ameriglo Sights:

2 Hackathorn sets

1 set composed of: GG-112-115LG front (.115 Lime Green luminova) and GL-409 rear (.164 rear notch black classic). (pictures linked in model number if you're interested)

I also purchased the Ameriglo Sight tool Gtool2. I forgot to get the front sight tool, but I think one my local shops in Phoenix carries it in stock.

My question: When installing the rear sight, do you spread loctite under the rear sight prior to putting it on the slide? I ask, because I think I remember watching a video of a gentleman who did this. And, if so, would one want to use red or blue loctite? Also for the front sight, red or blue?

Thanks in advance for any who answer.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Ameriglo Suppressor sights for sale, pic Gun Parts & Accessories Friday at 8:21 AM
    WTS: Ameriglo Hackathorn Sights for Glock 17,19,22,23,26,27,33,34,35,37,38&39 Gun Parts & Accessories Thursday at 7:48 PM
    Glock stock night sights ameriglo front sight compatible? General Glocking Sep 27, 2015
    AmeriGlo Glock 42/43 Classic Tritium 3-Dot Night Sights (GL-430) Sponsor Showcase Aug 10, 2015
    Anyone use Ameriglo FATS sights from Ed's public safety Sights, Optics and Lasers Aug 4, 2015

3. I use blue on the front sight screw but have not found a need for use on the rear sights in any of my guns unless they have a set screw, in which case I use blue there also (on the screw to keep it from backing out with use).

4. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Have you thoroughly checked your shipment? Ameriglo normally includes a front tool with each set of Glock sights. If it is not there, call them and they'll send you one (unless their policy has changed).

As for thread locker, I agree with ChicagoZman. No need for it on the rear sight unless it is particularly loose; my experience is that the Ameriglo sights are plenty tight and, in fact, might require a little filing to get them in without over-stressing the tool.
    #3 bentbiker, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. cevtv

I didn't get one with my recent purchase of a sight set.
  6. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Double post.
    #5 bentbiker, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

8. DannyR

Moderator Millennium Member

I always use red locktite on the front screw only, and just a drop on the threads. Then, let it cure 24 hours before shooting your pistol.

Also, before you install the rear sight, place one drop of oil on each side of the dove tail.

If you can't get in touch with Rick, PM me your address and I'll send you a front tool, no charge. I think I still have several in the basement.
    #8 DannyR, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  9. cevtv

10. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I've had zero problems using either red or blue Loctite... :thumbsup:

Note that careful--absolutely clean--surface prep is critical to success! :shocked:

11. dkf

The Blue medium strength thread locker is designed for smaller screws and to be removal. Most Red thread locker is high strength for larger bolts and has a "permanent" designation. If you look on the Loctite or Permatex website you can see the different threadlockers they offer. I learned a long time ago to be careful what you use Red on, you may have a hard time removing it or even break off the head on smaller screws.

My Hacks will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to try them out.
    #11 dkf, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  12. thanks for the offer, that's very kind of you. I did get hold of Rick and he said he'd ship me out one on Monday (yesterday).

Also, thanks for the tip re. the oil on the dovetail. I wouldn't have thought to do it, though seems an obvious step.

13. just curious what oil you use for this I will have a few sets coming next week along with the rear sight tool to do things my self.
  14. Palmguy

Palmguy Boom.

Whatever gun oil you have is sufficient.
  15. Interesting. I got a front sight wrench in the set I just ordered with the GT discount (thanks again BentBiker).

Just finished installing a set of Hacks on the G38. There was no loctite on the Glock front sight; but I used blue on the front Ameriglo screw.

The back set installed nicely with the pusher made by BigMoneyClip on this forum (thanks again BMC).

Then went out back to try it out. Very easy and fast signt picture. Was hitting the 4" popper consistently at 30 yrds.

Ameriglo Hacks are highly recommened.
  16. cevtv

Yeah, it was no big deal - probably just a simple mistake.
  17. RM686

Used the blue on ameriglo front whch came lose after 1500 rounds. Rear sight very tight using MGW sight tool. No need for any loctite.
    The americglo did not fit the front hole in my G19. It was way loser than the plastic sight. You could twist it back and forth which is why I would use RED Loctite. I ordered the yellow hack sights since in dim light at the range the orange Ameriglo was like shooting iron sights. I will use Red 271 on the hack fronts when they come.
  18. Regarding the front sight tool in packaging - our dealers and distributors have a choice when buying front sights for Glocks from us. Option 1 is to include the tool (slightly higher price) or Option 2, no tool. If the item is ordered on our web store it is included.
  19. RM686

Why cant you guys make a better fiting front sight for the Glock. The plastic sight fits in the slide hole rock tight. For the amount of money your sights coast they should be a better fit.
  20. janice6

Platinum Member

Green. Heat will defeat any adhesive or thread locker.