close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ameriglo Ghost Ring Night Sights vs. XS Big Dots

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Melissa5, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Melissa5

Melissa5
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone tried them? If so, what do you thing about them? Are they too big for CC? Would the XS Big Dots be a better choice?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Melissa5, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. TheRogue

TheRogue
    Expand Collapse

I have the AmeriGlo Ghost Ring Sights on my Gen2 G23. - I like 'em.
    No problem carrying IWB.

I can't comment to the XS Big Dots, because I have never tried them.

3. samuse

samuse
    Expand Collapse

I've used both on Glocks. IMO, they repesent the two worst sighting systems for handguns.

I shoot much better with notch and post sights. Plain black rear, some kind of bead on the front.

4. VOLGRAD

VOLGRAD
    Expand Collapse

I have shot both. I used to have XS on a couple of pistols. I really didn't feel either gave me much precision but both were fast on target. A compromise is the Ameriglo U-Rap with ProGlo front sight in orange. Not sure that setup is listed on the sight yet as they just got the taller ProGlo required for that rear in stock. Call to order. I just sold a set in the Classifieds that I bought to try out. They were about the same as the others you listed .... fast but not as precise unless you really focused. I'm sticking with traditional post and notch.

5. samuse

samuse
    Expand Collapse

Rapid front sight aquisition is great, but it has to be in relevance to the rear sight to to effective. From what I've seen, Big Dots and rings make people shoot sloppy and fast. What decent shooter with training and practice really needs sights at 7 yards and in?

6. Melissa5

Melissa5
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info, guys. I thought those sights would help with shooting high or low, but maybe I just need a lot more practice.

7. albinlee

albinlee
    Expand Collapse

The ghost ring seems like a worthy sighting system on shotgun, simply because of the greater distance between the sights and the increased spread pattern. I just don't see them being worthwhile on a pistol platform. The reason I would never buy either of those sight systems is the lack of precision and obstruction of sight picture. For me, the ideal combat sight is a traditional notch and post. That is why I am an avid user of Trijicon brand night sights. You cant go wrong with either Glock Night sights or Meprolights, but what Trijicon has over those two is the ratio of front sight width to rear sight notch, which is more precise for target shooting. This to me is an advantage, because the Trijicons still have fast acquisition and a great sight picture. They just do more in terms of precision.

8. G19aps

G19aps
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, just practice a bit more until you figure out what you're doing wrong. Could be your trigger finger, could be the gun isn't sighted in properly.

There's a reason the post-notch pattern of sights are still the best available for handguns (accuracy wise).

The aperture rear is great as a combat sight on a rifle or shotgun because the stock is fixed to your shoulder and you have a cheek weld on the stock.

9. Doc Kevlar

Doc Kevlar
    Expand Collapse

I recently tried a new sight combo that works very well for me.

On my G-19 I have a XS Big Dot front and an Ameriglo i - dot rear. You drop the golf ball in the slot and shoot. It is quick and for me much more accurate than using the XS rear.

10. gator378

gator378
    Expand Collapse
    Gator378

Had the XS Big Dot on a Glock 20 for a while. They work great in poor lighting conditions. On the Ghost ring on Glock 21 I replaced them with the URAP sight. Need to go out shooting more with the URAP, but it seems to work good. The Ghost Ring covered too much of the target. Finally switched to J Point 8 Moa Red Dot.

11. Njanear

Njanear
    Expand Collapse
    Nagant-ophile

In case you are considering using the gun in GSSF, just remember that those Ghost Ring sights will automatically put you in the Unlimited class. Just saying.... :embarassed:

#11 Njanear, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010