American Tactical M1911 Military

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by cole, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I like the looks of the Military models but that hammer will chew up my hand, I just have to have a beavertail.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Good to know, Cole.

I looked at one a couple of weeks back and both sights looked GI style, so I didn't even bother to look at the height of the rear sight. I bought the Commander-sized model instead.

3. The hammer is not as bad as you think. I have the same problem with a lot of 1911 that do not have a beavertail safety and a skeleton hammer. I get the hammer bite. With the FX45 MILITARY, that did not happen. Of course, you may want to handle one before you buy it just to make sure.

4. I am just a little leery of them I can still see the scar from 20 years ago, before I had a beavertail. I used to bleed at every match from my old Colts.

5. I have the same ATI pistol but in the Commander model. I own a number of higher end 1911's but was looking for a "beater". But after getting home and cleaning this gun up, I was actually amazed at quality of the slide to frame fit. In all seriousness, it's very well fit. Frankly, I can't believe the gun is so inexpensive. I think I paid $402. In fact, the fit is better than other 1911's that cost twice as much. Mine has been 100% reliable out of the box and surprisingly very accurate. On the negative side, I'm not a big fan of the stock grips or the standard GI sights....both easy fixes. IMO, these ATI's are a absolute bargain.

[​IMG]
    By dsa1115 at 2011-06-20

6. I can fully understand your apprehension.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Mine was for $400. Haha!!!

The stocks are nasty wood, but hey, the gun is dirt cheap. The sights are not GI style though. Basic, but definitely not GI. I don't have an issue with the iron sights at all. No problems with sight alignment and no problems with quick pick up in any lighting condition.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm lucky to not have that issue, but beavertail safeties are cheap. Besides, go with the Commander size (M1911 GI) and you'd have the rounded hammer and beavertail safety. They both cost the same when I priced them out before making the purchase on the Commander size model. Besides, I think that you would like the Commander size model. The balance is much better than the 5" model. Had I given the Commander a try before, I would have nothing but Commanders.

9. ptmccain

Platinum Member

$450? Sweet. That's one really nice looking 1911.

10. cole

Millennium Member

Bump with Range Report 4 and more rear sight issue observations.

11. cole

Millennium Member

Bump with resolution to both issues...

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Are those Herrett grips off CDNN?