close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

American Rifleman Nov 2013 pg94

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by R3508, Nov 4, 2013.

1. R3508

R3508 Curmudgeon

Dec 9, 2005
    State of Jefferson USA
    Shows a great pic of what is clearly a Gen 2 Glock, described as a "first-gereration model".
    I just wanted everyone to know how smart I am...
    :tongueout:
    [​IMG]

2. AustinTx

AustinTx

Aug 16, 2006
    Tx
    American Rifleman Nov 2013 pg94

All the "facts" in that article, ain't necessarily them. IOW, some things are sorta glossed over, that article is simplified, as to Glock history.

Search for Butch's pictures, if you want the correct gen differences.

3. tnglockguy

tnglockguy

Aug 13, 2007
    TN
    I read that article too, and thought it was really poorly done. Lots of inaccuracies, and like AustinTx said above, just really over-simplified and broad. I didn't learn one thing from reading it. Usually expect better from AR. I also thought the timing was weird, like they're just now getting around to doing something on gen4 Glocks...it's been a few years now.

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I saw that too...

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    If the Glocks were Rifles, they may have got it right.......

:cool:

6. domino1

domino1

Mar 24, 2013
    OH
    American Rifleman has never been very supportive of Glocks as demonstrated by their lack of articles for many years.

7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Very true. I can't remember any articles before this one. I know there have been, but they are very few and far between.

8. glak1940

glak1940

Apr 14, 2011
    Wiley Clapp is only a 1911 fan for the most part,and has never understood the whole Glock phenomenon.Too bad for him,and I usually ignore his articles.
    glak

9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I quit reading gun mags years ago, actually. I sometimes browse through them at the book store, but that's about it.

10. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Same here. :supergrin:

11. phonejack

phonejack

Jun 28, 2009
    arkansas
    When I get AR, I thumb thru once , then trash it

12. They recently had a decent article on the modifications commonly done to Glocks for competition. Focused on the G35 for competition, but a probably not all-inclusive collection of the various aftermarket bits available. As a recent returnee to Glocks, I found it informative. The Ghost trigger was as far as I went with my old mid 80's G17.

They do cover Glocks periodically, covered the compact models a while back. As it is a slowly evolving design, why should they trumpet every small iteration with an article?

Gun & Ammo they are not, thank God. I appreciate their adult approach to gun reviews and lack of sensationalism.

Of course, I do get AR "free" as a Life member, but always find something of interest. Unlike too many other magazines I pay for.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  13. Mike-M

Mike-M

Dec 15, 2012
    The author of the article writes: "...all but one of the pistols sold in the United States (G36 Slim Frame) are available with the latest [Generation 4] features."

I guess he forgot about the G17L, G30S, G38, and G39, which are also not available in the Gen 4 version. Include the G18 as well, if that's still being sold anywhere in the USA. The G25 and G28 may be sold in the USA to LE agencies, and those are not available in a Gen 4 version either.

I'm also not sure he's correct when he earlier referred to "...the now discontinued G24...". Although it's not listed on Glock websites (neither is the G17L), it was described in the last (2013) Glock Pistols magazine, which seems to be quasi-official.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  14. Jeffrey Lebowski

Jeffrey Lebowski Not a golfer

Jan 27, 2013
    Colorado
    Glock isn't wildly supportive of AR or the NRA either. Not hostile, but look at the ads, and then look at the articles. :dunno:

15. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    Lots of people think their Gen2 Glocks are Gen1. Someone recently told me he had a pair of Gen1's. I asked if he was sure they were Gen1. Later that day, he texted me a picture of two barely used looking Gen1's. They are out there.

16. Pecos2014

Pecos2014

Oct 14, 2013
    Pleasanton TX
    I read that article. Maybe they will do more on Glocks!

17. If you refer to the AR article on the G35 and available aftermarket bits, I agree.

I found it very informative. Probably all stuff that GT guys knew a long time ago.

What blew me away was finding out that the Glock was the primo pistol these days in some combat competition classes.

Given that I do not follow that stuff, or have access to competing in it. I never would have thought that Glock with that (gun rag opinion for gratis) horrible trigger and all those other faults repeatedly echoed would ever supplant the Colt 1911.

Maybe the XD and M&P changed some minds?

All are good if reliable and you can learn to shoot them well. There are some things I have liked and disliked about other current designs. Have to say the Beretta 92 was the only one that felt "right" to me just handling it vs. the G17, but firing them was a total reversal of opinion.

18. 77Bronc

77Bronc

Jul 21, 2001
    Louisiana
    I have found some of these writers are so biased it makes reading the article very difficult...

I have to take two Tylenol before I read a Duane Thomas article, as the grammatical errors in most cases are off the chart

19. bdcremer

bdcremer The No SpinZone

Apr 8, 2005
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Yes, most gun magazines are not very interesting anymore. Old guys that do have some wisdom about weapons just can't let go of their 1911. This is why gun blogs are taking over and forums.

20. Mike-M

Mike-M

Dec 15, 2012
    Here is an on-line version of that article.

Unfortunately, it has nothing of value for improving a Glock that is to serve as a self-defense/home-defense weapon. In that area, a similar article might address night sights and tactical light/laser units. There is little that could improve the weapon itself, as provided by Glock...except replacing the 4.5-lbf connector with the standard connector that is used on other Glocks, including blue label G35 (and G34) units.

The article's suggestions destroy the G35's usefulness as a weapon, degrading it to a game-playing gun. The result is termed by the author as "performance". What a joke!