close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

American Guns - Another rant!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by mixflip, Jul 12, 2012.

1. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Ok so we have all had complaints about the ridiculousness of some of the projects that they take on at the TV show American Guns.

Last night I laughed out loud when a guy brought in his old Remington 870 hunting shotgun (about a $300 gun) to get some upgrades for home defense.

They charge him $1800 to slap on tacticool parts and do a trigger job!!!

He could have bought the best tactical shotgun on Earth for $1800 and he could have kept the family heirloom in original condition.

Sometimes I think these shows are staged 100% and the people coming in are actually just paid actors because no gun guy I know would take that deal. $1800? Really?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. GNut76

GNut76 Got Guns??

Jan 17, 2004
    Louisville, Kentucky
    But hey it's a free country right?! Sure he could have bought a Rem 870 P, Mossy 590 A1, Or beretta or benneli.....and still went under 1800 bucks. Heck even a tricked out Wilson tactical for maybe less money. Generally like the show myself but he spent too much money and messed with a classic.:wavey:

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I'm pissed because Paige barely had an appearance and she had on pants and long sleeve shirt. WTF, over?

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    My thought exactly. You can piece together one heck of a nice tactical 870 for well under that.

Just keep in mind this is "reality" TV. In other words: fake.

That was one hell of a nice paint job on that sniper rifle though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  5. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I agree. That sniper rifle paint job was absolutely amazing. I couldnt imagine that nice of a gun getting transported in cruisers, in and out of crime scenes, in and out of various armorers, and general SWAT hard use police work without getting dinged and scratched. After al it is a tool and not a publicity gun. (or is it?)

6. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    Yes however some guys will pay that price if they can have their mugs featured on a TV show...

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    That does sound ridiculous.

In the end, he still has a gun worth $300.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :rofl:

9. dpadams6

dpadams6

Jan 5, 2010
    Agreed. Forget about the guns. Lol

10. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    I'd agree, however, $2000+ for a fancy coat to a stock? Sounds like the police chief has more budget money than he needs. Ought to put the money into guns w/o the dressings.

The "money" shot at a refrigerator?? I should hope to shout that they could hit a refrigerator with that gun. Don

11. IvanVic

IvanVic

Apr 19, 2012
    I started ranting to my gf as soon as he quoted the price. Honestly, it's the customers fault. Why would you deface an old, classic 870 when you could just buy a fully decked-out 870 for a fraction of the price?

At some point I have to wonder how many of these transactions are scripted. Although I think that many of the customers are genuine, all of these shows are contrived at some point.

12. IvanVic

IvanVic

Apr 19, 2012
    She has a fan page. I thought she came across as personable on the show, but when I discovered fan page, she had posted videos of herself whining about her fan page losing popularity, and begging everyone to keep visiting - quite appropriate for her generation.

13. oldguynewglock

oldguynewglock

Sep 12, 2011
    Missouri
    What's up with that police department ordering a custom built sniper rifle with an expensive custom paint job? I don't know about Colorado but money is tight around here. The Sheriff's department here has a tight budget. If they bought a custom rifle like that the taxpayers would be up in arms! I am all for law enforcement haveing the proper equipment, but a custom hand built one? I don't think so! This must have be staged.

14. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I don't understand why folks keep sponsoring this mockery by watching this show week after week... :dunno:

15. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Jan 27, 2009
    CT
    The price was ridiculous and made me laugh, but the really sad part was the shotgun supposedly once belonged to the owner's grandfather.

Taking grandpa's old 870 and screwing it up by putting a bunch of lick-and-stick "tactical" crap on it is not cool. :steamed:

He should have bought a used 870 for cheap, modified it himself for HD, and left the old shotgun the way it was. Instead he foolishly ruined something that could have been a family heirloom... and paid a lot of money to do it!

Oh, I especially liked the comment "this rifle has to look better than it shoots." It's a police sniper rifle for god sakes, it may be used to kill someone in order to preserve innocent life. It doesn't need a friggin custom paint job! :upeyes:

16. B_RAD

B_RAD

Jan 2, 2008
    NW AR
    I can't watch this show or Sons of Guns. These shows are so obviously staged its not even funny! It kills me when these supposed LE agencies/dept come in wanting some "new type" of firearm or something like that built and if they get it right they'll get some type of contract. They all most mess everything up but just in the nick of time at the very last moment it all goes well. I remember one episode of Sons of Guns where this what they kept calling "Navy Special Forces" unit wanted some type of gun mount system for river boats. If I remember correctly they mounted a m16 to it! The one they built look like a toddler built it. Not to mention that the commanding officer of this supposedly "SF" unit looked like a homeless person they pulled if the streets! This whole thing was bogus. Why would these guys be needed to build stuff like this that already exist? Navy SWCC has got all this under control I promise you that. When I was in the Navy I had interactions with SEALs on several occasions. These guys in this episode were not the real deal. Bogus! American Guns is just as fake.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    Ah, nope. We all do not waste our time with man-drama tv shows.

18. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    That is all you needed to say. The gun was probably one of the TV crew members.

We already know Pawn Stars has used pieces loaned from museums and had production crew bring it in.

Those shows are Soap Opera for men.

19. Rancher

Rancher

Jun 3, 2003
    SW Missouri
    I must be getting old cause I would rather see Rene! Anyone know if she has a fan page:whistling:?

Rancher

20. jb1911

jb1911

Sep 21, 2011
    Renee is more my style too. Paige is about my grand daughter's age.