close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

America has Turned Into an Orwellian Nightmare

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Ruble Noon, Apr 26, 2012.

1. The Machinist

The Machinist No Compromise

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    The author states that we must do something while we still can, but aside from voting for constitutionalists, there is nothing we can do but prepare for the end of the American way of life as we know it, and hope that the impending depression and collapse takes Big Brother with it.

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    Agreed. The momentum is building. It's likely only a matter of time.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
  4. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    "We have become a nation of cowards and fools".

There's the centerpiece of the entire article.

It always comes down to an assault on the intelligence of the American people.

Obviously the author is mentally superior to the rest of America and is qualified to pass judgement on America and it's citizens.

If it's that bad then why do millions risk their lives to come to this "Orwellian Nightmare" of a country?

Millions have the dream of someday making it to America so they can live free.

America is the freest country on Earth and that just burns some people up.

Those people hate their own country, and for whatever reason they feel they need to write articles condemning this great country.

Only in America can they do that, so this country can't be all that bad?

5. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

6. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

Sep 20, 2006
    Galveston County, TX
    You consistently mistake the current state of the US as being the best country on Earth with how much better it was intended to be by the Founders. In context and comparison to other nations sure we may still be the best. Compared to what we should be as the Founders intended we have lost our way. Some of the more insightful Founders predicted this would happen.

I will extend the challenge once again, which I guess you will ignore once again. Ben Franklin, via a surrogate, stated as much at the adoption of the CotUS.

"...In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other...."

It isn't an assault on the intelligence of the American people as you continue to state, it is an indictment of humans in general. That there is likely nothing that can be done about it isn't a specific attack on America or Americans but simply a historically accurate observation of all human history.

So don't argue with me all high and mighty, argue with Franklin.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. Allfal

Allfal

Jan 29, 2008
    I agree completely. I only add the observation that the Founding Fathers were evidently more observant and intelligent than the majority of today's population.

8. ScubaSven

ScubaSven PersonaNonGrata

Jun 3, 2003
    Villa Incognito
    The "founding fathers" argument is absolute bullcrap and has no relation to the real world in 2012.

The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.

9. Allfal

Allfal

Jan 29, 2008
    Given your join date I have to assume that you are trolling. "original intent" has always been and should be at the very least a partial basis for a USSC decision. original intent in this case is fairly clear.

10. ScubaSven

ScubaSven PersonaNonGrata

Jun 3, 2003
    Villa Incognito
    I don't understand your correlation about my join date. I've been here too long, so I'm a troll??? Please explain.

"Original intent" and "founding fathers" arguments are different things. The original intent was never to have a static constitution - they built in provisions for amendments to adopt to the changing times - and never to be stuck with a tradition-steeped, monarchial-type rule - which seems to be what the "founding fathers" supporters prefer.

11. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas

You're exactly right!

Some people like to hide behind the founding fathers and throw rocks
    at their own country.

They feel safe and secure from that position because no one in their right mind would criticize or disagree with the almighty founding fathers, right?

Clearly these people have a problem with this country. Maybe they feel
    left out or just want attention, who knows?

They ignore the good and positive qualities of this country, and exaggerate and embellish what's wrong with this country.

I feel sorry for them because they live in the greatest, freest and most prosperous country on Earth, and all they can do is find fault with it.

:patriot:

12. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    They also included rules to be followed for that to occur.

No one is playing by them anymore. Is that the founders intent as well?

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky

Yes, it definitely has...but we can't move out because every other place in the world makes Orwell look like a comedy writing optimist.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Most of the major changes conservatives complain about did not come from constitutional amendments...now that prohibition is repealed, none of them did actually. They came when the supreme court realized they could amend the constitution and expand the pwers of federal government without amending it. Most of the federal law that exists today would have been considered far beyond the authorioty of congress in 1800 or even 1900. If the interstate commerce clause was given its original intent, there would be no federal war on drugs, no gun control act of 1968, almost no federal criminal law, etc.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    You are worng on both counts. The "founding fathers" argument is the only one that keeps the federal government from doing virtually as they please. And, if you were a little older, you'd have seen enough of the sky fall to know better. I'm 46 and the loss of freedom for Americans since I was born is shocking.

16. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.

Kind of like how you throw rocks at our Constitution and the founders intent so that you can progress your agenda?

We don't have a problem with our country. We have problems with progressives trying to change it without following well established rules to do so.

17. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    I get the distinct feel some folks here have never read any Orwell.

18. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    You should change your avatar JB as you are a disgrace to those brave souls that fought at the Alamo. I imagine if you were there with them they would have stuck you in a cannon and shot you at Santa Anna just to be rid of you.