Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Alternatives to firearms when traveling

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by CDR_Glock, Mar 3, 2012.

1. CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010

Long time, no chat. Hahaha.

What do you recommend for self defense when traveling outside of the USA? It is doubtful that I can bring my firearm with me. I don't know what carrying knives concealed is like in a foreign country. Do you? What about a Kubotan?

What do you do? What would be your approach?

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    What do I do? I make it a policy not to go to countries where I can't be armed, and have stuck to that for the last 15 years or so.

Check with the given country's embassies in Washington. There are still a few places where you can carry if you jump through enough hoops. (I'm thinking of doing a trip to South Africa, where it's still possible to carry, though not as easy as it was when I went there long ago.)

Some countries treat a knife the way New York would treat a visitor with a concealed firearm (think: England today). Some are more cool about that. Again, check with the embassy.

Mini-Mag flashlights are legal everywhere, and all the Kubotan techniques will work. A cane or walking stick is legal pretty much everywhere.

God, Rick, you've reminded me again how much I love the USA...

3. CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    Yes. I know what you mean.

I took my Kubotan with me and a flashlight. Luckily, I didn't have to resort to any situations.

It is unfortunate that I had to go bare without my pistol. It is back at my side.